The Ferrari

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

The Ferrari

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

Anybody up for a little sleuth work?

I need to know if the Ferrari 328 was ever used in the show. The 328 looks very similar to the 308. It was produced between 1985 and 1989.

I have the last Ferrari model to be used on the show as a 1984 308 GTSi Quattrovalvole. I may be confusing this with the 328, or maybe the 328 was used after the 308 GTSi QV?

Thanks
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Sam »

Hi James.....Good question..I'll take a look but first impression,I'll say "No"
One of the keys is the rear side window.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#3 Post by N1095A »

Hi Guys,
The answer is a definate no. The Ferrari 328 has re-designed body color front and rear bumpers, and a larger front grille with driving lights. It also has a much larger hood vent than the 308 that is between the headlighs. While the Pininfarina body is the same as the 308, the 328 is different enough that it would be significant.
Last edited by N1095A on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sweet, that's what I thought. Thanks Mike!

.... and you're sure it's not in Season Eight, either. Right? ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#5 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Good work Mike. I thought the 308 was the car that ran throughout the episode. I guess that leads to the question of why they wouldn't have updated to the 328 somewhere along the way. It is pretty similar so there wouldn't be an identity loss, and man like Robin Masters surely wouldn't keep a car that long even if he weren't around to drive it.

N1095A

#6 Post by N1095A »

James J. Walters wrote:Sweet, that's what I thought. Thanks Mike!

.... and you're sure it's not in Season Eight, either. Right? ;)
Nope, 308 through out. The final one being the 1984. I remember back in the day having a rather heated argument with some high school classmates who insisted it was a 328. Of course back then there was no internet to provide pictures of a 328, and no one had actually seen one in person. It does seem strange to me that none of the times the 308 was destroyed in the show, they never updated with a 328 to replace it. With the 328, it seems they refined the 308 body to where it looked more like modern Ferraris. Remember the Testarossa came out in 1984, and it shared the same look from the front. Although the Testarossa grille was Plastic and cheap looking compared to the 328.
I'm happy they didn't update to a Testarossa. Must have been discussed, but when it came out it was only available in the coupe, and Magnum has to have the top off :lol:. I never cared for the Testarossa. To me it always looked like the body style was inspired by a basketball shoe.
I like the big grille with the driving lights of the 328, but I like the interior switches and guages of the 308.
The 328's interior looks cheap and plastic compared to the 308. if I had money for either, I'd choose the 308 because of MPI.
Last edited by N1095A on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Carmen
MPI

#7 Post by Carmen »

I like the big grille with the driving lights, but if I had money for either, I'd choose the 308 because of MPI.
Yeah, but then you don`t have that funny mirror the Testarossa has, the one that looks like a handle for to carry your car around :wink:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#8 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I never cared for the Testarossa either, and I would also choose the 308 over the 328. I have always liked the 308 and the Porsche 911 better than most other sport cars out there. I also am quite fond of the E Type Jaguar Magnum drove when Higgins took the Ferrari in Blind Justice.

PhatCat
Admiral

#9 Post by PhatCat »

I loved the Testarossa when I first saw it on Miami Vice in 1987. But, yeah, that car didn't age well. Can't say I'd buy one today like I promised myself I would back then. I was 11 at the time.

Bill

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Magnum T. »

Being Italian I am pretty used to see Ferrari(s) around all the time :lol:
Just kidding, but actually I know a guy who works for Ducati in Modena, he told me there are a lot of Ferrari(s), Lamborghini(s), Maserati(s) in some warehouses nearby his workplace!!!

Anyway, when I think "Ferrari" the very first image that comes to my mind is that of a 308. No way.
As a matter of fact my all-time favourite Ferrari cars are the 308 and the GTO
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_288_GTO
Guess why?

Well, to be honest I could be happy with a 328 too!
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#11 Post by Styles Bitchley »

The Testarossa was just too ostentatious for my taste. The 308 and even the 328 are more subdued. I remember when Crockett updated to a Testarossa from the Daytona and the believability of Miami Vice plummeted. I mean, the cops are going to pay for this guy to drive around in that? At least the Daytona was more conservative.

Same for Magnum. As if tailing someone in a red 308 wasn't obvious enough - a Testarossa would have been like tailing someone in a cop car with the siren on!

I too am a fan of the 911 Porsche and, to a lesser degree, 308 Ferrari. They have a simple sleek design with out the extra frills (i.e., the 'look at me!' side slats on the Testarossa). I can appreciate the super cars, but can't really see myself in one for more than a joy ride.

Of course, if someone were to give me free access to one any time I wanted - I'd probably change my tune!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

N1095A

#12 Post by N1095A »

Styles Bitchley wrote:The Testarossa was just too ostentatious for my taste. The 308 and even the 328 are more subdued. I remember when Crockett updated to a Testarossa from the Daytona and the believability of Miami Vice plummeted. I mean, the cops are going to pay for this guy to drive around in that? At least the Daytona was more conservative.

Same for Magnum. As if tailing someone in a red 308 wasn't obvious enough - a Testarossa would have been like tailing someone in a cop car with the siren on!

I too am a fan of the 911 Porsche and, to a lesser degree, 308 Ferrari. They have a simple sleek design with out the extra frills (i.e., the 'look at me!' side slats on the Testarossa). I can appreciate the super cars, but can't really see myself in one for more than a joy ride.

Of course, if someone were to give me free access to one any time I wanted - I'd probably change my tune!
As I recall the only reason they went with the Testarossa was because Ferrari was upset that the Daytona was a kit car. The Testarossa was just introduced, and Ferrari gave Miami Vice two black ones. Turned out the black ones didn't show up well on camera (odd considering the fake Daytona was black), so they painted them white.

I never saw very many episodes as I wasn't a fan of the show, but regarding believability, about the same time they switched to the Testarossa, they also decided it was too expensive to shoot in Miami, and production moved to Hollyweird.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Everette Vince
Ensign

#13 Post by Everette Vince »

Well on the left side of the car that grill is there to protect the gas inlet, the other side is just for cleaning the window. And trust me i've the car for 9 years and i know every thing about it. here is a picture of our car.[imgfile:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Everette/Desktop/Wallpaper/Kelly's%20308%20front%20view.jpg][img]

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by MACattack »

I like 308's and 328's! They're both badass Ferraris, especially in red!
I just don't give a damn!

Buck
Captain

#15 Post by Buck »

If Magnum would have stayed on the air a couple more seasons, I think they would have gotten a Ferrari 328. It looks almost the same as the 308, but it is faster.

When Magnum raced the Corvette Stingray in the first episode, the Ferrari was the faster car. By the time 1984 came the 308 would not be the fastest car on the road. Magnum would need the extra horse power of the 328 to beat the modern sports cars of the mid to late 1980's.