The Ferrari

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Tobi
Captain

#76 Post by Tobi »

Has anybody got more detailed info on the conversion of the car for TS apart from what has been stated here:

- reduced seating hight by taking out cushioning from seat
- seat bolted as far back as possible
- seat bolted to floor

Any idea who did the conversion?

Thx
T

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Friend of mine here in Honolulu sold exotic cars in the years past. He handled the back and forth transfer of all Ferarris to the MPI Studio here. Think he said the garage where they repair and modify the beemers and etc. handled that.

Tobi
Captain

#78 Post by Tobi »

Thanks for that - would be interesting to see a build sheet.

I am very tall, taller than TS, and there is no way of me fitting into a standard 308.

T

Carmen
MPI

#79 Post by Carmen »

Magnum T. wrote: [Sergio Pininfarina, designer of the 308, passed away last night.]

I think his name was Sergio Farina, "Pinin" was kind of a nickname.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

RamblerReb
Commander

#80 Post by RamblerReb »

Carmen wrote:Magnum T. wrote: [Sergio Pininfarina, designer of the 308, passed away last night.]

I think his name was Sergio Farina, "Pinin" was kind of a nickname.
According to his Wikipedia article, the original family name was Farina, later changed to Pininfarina to reflect the company name.
"In 1961, by decree of the Italian president, his family surname was changed from Farina to Pininfarina to match that of the company."
Hope that clears things up a bit!

:)

Carmen
MPI

#81 Post by Carmen »

Ah, thanks. Saw something on TV some time ago and they wrote his name like: Sergio "Pinin" Farina, so it sounded like a nickname to me
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by MagnumILWU »

In the fall of 1982, I lived in Beaverton Oregon, with my girlfriend Wendy. We lived in a 4-plex, 3 down, and 1 up, ours! I was a Magnum fan then, like now! When I came home from work , one late afternoon in the fall(I always parked on the street, in front of the 4-plex, in my 67 Dodge van)as I rounded the corner, I saw a car in my spot! It was red, and as I got closer, I couldn't believe what I was seeing! A Ferrari 308GTS in my spot! I don't know where it came from, or who it belong too! It was so strange, it just seemed unreal! I went inside, and by the time I came back out, it was gone! To this day, that's all I know about it! I swear to you this is a true story! I remember it like it was yesterday!
"pickled egg please"

Karrnut
Vice Admiral

#83 Post by Karrnut »

The 308 is an icon, and the Magnum connection still lives. Every so often I think about selling my Mera (THE 308 replica, built in 1988) 254 were built and only 90 remain, and it is a dead ringer for Magnum's car.

Well than I read here how their still a "hot topic" or, like today a young woman stops me to take a picture of the car. Even better, as I was pulling out of a car show someone yells "hay Magnum pi!" I guess I will keep her a bit longer, I don't think Herbie the Love bug could get more looks, or thumbs up. :wink:
"Low rent knuckle busters." - Rick

RamblerReb
Commander

#84 Post by RamblerReb »

Karrnut wrote:The 308 is an icon, and the Magnum connection still lives. Every so often I think about selling my Mera (THE 308 replica, built in 1988) 254 were built and only 90 remain, and it is a dead ringer for Magnum's car.

Well than I read here how their still a "hot topic" or, like today a young woman stops me to take a picture of the car. Even better, as I was pulling out of a car show someone yells "hay Magnum pi!" I guess I will keep her a bit longer, I don't think Herbie the Love bug could get more looks, or thumbs up. :wink:

Don't just sit there, post a picture! :wink:

Karrnut
Vice Admiral

#85 Post by Karrnut »

I don't know if this will work, but give it a try
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... C_5401.jpg
"Low rent knuckle busters." - Rick

RamblerReb
Commander

#86 Post by RamblerReb »

Karrnut wrote:I don't know if this will work, but give it a try
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... C_5401.jpg
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#87 Post by erock308 »

ummm... WoW!

"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#88 Post by MagnumILWU »

A 1981 308 GTS, Red and Tan on eBay for $16,000.00!
"pickled egg please"

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#89 Post by Pahonu »

Carmen wrote:Ah, thanks. Saw something on TV some time ago and they wrote his name like: Sergio "Pinin" Farina, so it sounded like a nickname to me
I think I read somewhere "pinin" is a diminutive meaning little or something like it. As in Spanish where "burro" means donkey and "burrito" means little donkey. Maybe he was a junior. Any Italian speakers?

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by MagnumILWU »

Pinin; the youngest/ smallest brother.
"pickled egg please"