Interesting little MPI / Hawaii Five-0 touchpoint

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

Interesting little MPI / Hawaii Five-0 touchpoint

#1 Post by Higgy_baby »

I just watched The Last Page (2.20). There is another connection to the Five-0 world on this episode besides Kam Fong (Chin Ho on Five-0). The Wo Fat restaurent is shown clearly. The name of this restaurent was the inspiration for the most famous villain on Five-0, Wo Fat. He was in the 2 hr. pilot and numerous other episodes. Wo Fat was McGarrett's arch nemesis and one of the few that Steve couldn't completely shut down.

I checked the episode listings and it states that 'the famous Wo Fat restaurent can be seen breifly'.

James, it may be interesting to add the Five-0 connection for the name Wo Fat. You might also consider mentioning Kam Fong's appearance on this show. I'm surprised he only received billing at the end of the credits and not as a guest star up front.

PS
It's interesting that Kam Fong is sporting a mustache. So did Zulu a few episodes back. Seems everybody from Five-0 was getting into the TS stache look in the 80s. That's when I grew mine.
Of course this changes nothing between us. I still expect you to respect the rules and regulations pertaining to your stay on the estate. There will be no wild parties, no outragous liberties, no unauthorized overnight guests...

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#2 Post by Italian Ice »

I never saw the last episode, but I liked how they came up with the Wo Fat name, plus he name of the last episode (Woah to Wo Fat) is just awesome. They had really cool names for the episodes, quite creative.

I didn't even recognize Kam Fong in MPI until I revisited H50 later on.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Sam »

Hi Hb,
Both of Kam Fong's appearances are listed in the episode guide and a screen cap.

http://magnum-mania.com/Pics/Screen_Cap ... tml#Two.20

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sam, I added the Kam Fong info because of Higgy_baby's post. It wasn't there before. Sorry, I meant to reply earlier.

I was just checking out Kam Fong's bio. I had no idea he was a real life Honolulu police officer for over 15 years! He also suffered a horrible tragedy during WWII...
He lived in Kalihi during WW II. On 8 June 1944, his first wife and two children were killed when two B-24 Liberators collided and the burning wreckage fell onto the homes of his neighborhood.
:shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Little Garwood »

In "Way of the Stalking Horse" when Mary Elizabeth brings Thomas that huge styrofoam container of chicken soup, she says it's from "Wong Fat's" restaurant. Of course, Wo Fat is the original name of the eatery as well as Five-O's notorious villain. I liked the semi-nod to both, even if the name was slightly altered here.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#6 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote:Of course, Wo Fat is the original name of the eatery as well as Five-O's notorious villain. I liked the semi-nod to both, even if the name was slightly altered here.
I think you might be reading too much into this. Both 'Wong' and 'Fat' are extremely common Cantonese names. Wouldn't be unusual to find a Chinese food joint with such a name.

BTW, I love the actor Khigh Dhiegh's (Wo Fat) work in the Noble House miniseries (I never watched Five-O). I was just doing some looking around on IMDB for other stuff he's done and discovered that not only is he not Chinese, he's not even Asian!
Although he portrayed innumerable Asians in the course of his career, he was actually of Anglo-Egyptian-Sudanese ancestry.
Nice acting!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Little Garwood »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Little Garwood wrote:Of course, Wo Fat is the original name of the eatery as well as Five-O's notorious villain. I liked the semi-nod to both, even if the name was slightly altered here.
I think you might be reading too much into this. Both 'Wong' and 'Fat' are extremely common Cantonese names. Wouldn't be unusual to find a Chinese food joint with such a name.
I probably am; but I have been watching both shows obsessively lately, so I'm quite...sensitive..to any actual/imagined crossover/references! :lol:
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck