First post! New guy.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MrMoustache
Commander

First post! New guy.

#1 Post by MrMoustache »

Wow I didn't know this site had a forum until now :eek: !! I had watched MPI all throughout college in the 90's, but I allways ended up missing the ending or begining, but now i'm watching them on DVD and it's extra nice to see them in order too!

If I"m wrong for doing this, please let me know, but the reason I am on the forum is it's cool to be around other magnum'ophiles, but I've also been using the magnum mania website for research for a rather large (at least by fanfiction standards) magnum story that takes place a year after the show ended. If you'd be interestead in reading it, I'd love any feedback you have, as I haven't really gotten any on fanfiction.net. I tried to write in small vingettes to keep the pace and feel of the show and I tried hard to tie in the series as well as stay true to the chracters. I'm knee deep in chapter 9 as we speak.

Hope you enjoy it! Glad to be here! :D
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5304030/1/One_Last_Time

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Magnum T. »

Welcome on board!
I like your nickname :cool:!
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

MrMoustache
Commander

#3 Post by MrMoustache »

thank you 8) that's what i tell my wife when i watch magnum, "all right, time to watch mr moustache" ha ha.
Last edited by MrMoustache on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Welcome Mr. Moustache! :)

Can't wait to check out your fan fiction! It might be a while, but I'll definitely read it.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MrMoustache
Commander

#5 Post by MrMoustache »

thank you for the welcome! please enjoy and let me know what you think!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#6 Post by Doc Ibold »

Definitely!

Welcome aboard, and I'll be happy to give your story a whirl!

Send me a PM as to where to find it, and I'll check it out!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#7 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Aloha! I hope you enjoy your stay.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#8 Post by ConchRepublican »

Welcome aboard!

Looking forward to checking out your work . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

MrMoustache
Commander

#9 Post by MrMoustache »

thank you! please enjoy it :D

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#10 Post by SelleckLover »

MrMoustache wrote:
If I"m wrong for doing this, please let me know, but the reason I am on the forum is it's cool to be around other magnum'ophiles, but I've also been using the magnum mania website for research for a rather large (at least by fanfiction standards) magnum story that takes place a year after the show ended. If you'd be interestead in reading it, I'd love any feedback you have, as I haven't really gotten any on fanfiction.net. I tried to write in small vingettes to keep the pace and feel of the show and I tried hard to tie in the series as well as stay true to the chracters. I'm knee deep in chapter 9 as we speak.
Welcome to the boards, MrMoustache! I have read Chapters 1 & 2 so far and you have certainly done what you say, keeping the pace and feel of the show and tie in the series as well as stay true to the characters. I am enjoying it very much and you have done a good job setting the mood for the coming chapters. You also wrote:
I'd love any feedback you have

So here goes:
You might want someone knowledgeable to proofread for you, regarding spelling and punctuation. I would urge you NOT to use SpellCheck! You might want to refresh your memory on how to write dialogue here: http://mrbraiman.home.att.net/page13.html (with emphasis on Rule #2)
Most people on this site would probably guess that golfmobile or I would have this kind of feedback for you. We ARE sticklers, but we cut everyone some slack when it comes to posting comments because this is just for fun! All the comments above are meant in the best possible way. So far, this is a very good effort on your part, and keep on writing! :D :D

MrMoustache
Commander

#11 Post by MrMoustache »

i love criticism, as long as it's helpful :lol: I've been wanting to write for a long, long time and finally decided to write on something that was already established just to have a back story to work from (not to mention how fun it is). So this is really just all good practice for me.

I'll definitely read through the link and if you have any others on the technical side of writing, I'd love to see them!

Thanks for reading it & giving me feedback!

SelleckLover

#12 Post by SelleckLover »

MrMoustache wrote:
Thanks for reading it & giving me feedback!
You're welcome! :D I'll probably have more constructive criticism as I read more, but what I have read is very good. When writing fiction, there is much research to be done so the story can ring true. Since you obviously know the Magnum character well (as we all do!) you have an advantage. Keep up the good work! :D

SelleckLover

#13 Post by SelleckLover »

Oh, BTW MrMoustache, the following link might be helpful to you:
http://fictionwriting.about.com/od/craf ... hnique.htm

You might also try something called "free writing", if you get stuck. To do this you procure a pen, paper and a timer. Set the timer for 10 minutes. Then start writing and don't stop for the full 10 minutes. Content isn't important, just the constant writing. When you stop, go back and read everything you've written to see what you've come up with. This usually works for me. (I am a published author.) :D

MrMoustache
Commander

#14 Post by MrMoustache »

great link, thats what i needed! thanks.. ! I thought you must be an English teacher or something! :lol: What did you write that got published? that's great!

SelleckLover

#15 Post by SelleckLover »

Nope, I am not an English teacher, but my husband says that I think I am. LOL :D I have had 5 short stories published in a gaming fanzine called The Voice of Doom.