A real life Higgins?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

A real life Higgins?

#1 Post by Higgy_baby »

I have always thought Higgins military record, achievements and VC were a little over the top. Nobody could have served in so many theatres in the war not to mention MI6 and his other post war services. Of course this is all after his being sent down from Sandhurst and having to work his way up as an NCO. Incredible! Nonetheless, I love the character; he is very amusing, and this is TV after all.

What if I told you there is a man who made it through Sandhurst, served in the 30s on the Northwest Frontier commanding Gurkha rifles and later served in WW2 in Iraq, Syria and Persia (Iran)? He then was tranferred to Burma to head up a Chindit unit. While in this role, he had to agonize over and finally execute 19 of his own hospitalized men, to prevent their falling into Japanese hands, upon a withdrawal from a remote area in which they were under attack for days. He served in India at the end of the War, during the waning days of the Raj. He then moved to the United States (not Hawaii) and took up writing under his real surname MASTERS. He published over 20 novels and a few nonfiction that were basically his memoirs. Although not a VC, he did earn a DSO (also instituted by Queen Victoria). Does this not sound a little like our beloved Higgy Baby with the added twist that he is also Robin?

I love Military History. About 10 years ago I picked up a book entitled 'Bugles and a Tiger'. It's about the NW frontier and the Gurkhas, and is semi-autobiographical. The author was John Masters. I then read his most famous fiction novel, Bhowani Junction, which has a campy flavour and was made into a movie starring Ave Gardner.

I never made any connection for years, but recently wondered if John Masters was an inspiration for the creators of MPI. Has anyone heard of any connection?

More info is available of course on Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Masters
Last edited by Higgy_baby on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Of course this changes nothing between us. I still expect you to respect the rules and regulations pertaining to your stay on the estate. There will be no wild parties, no outragous liberties, no unauthorized overnight guests...

PhatCat
Admiral

#2 Post by PhatCat »

In my best Higgins voice: "Extraordinary!"

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

Wow . . . that sounds too close to be a co-inky-dink!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#4 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I agree Conch. I think someone involved in Magnum knew this guys story.

Jaybird
Admiral

#5 Post by Jaybird »

His wiki bio mentions that alot of his books sold in the 50s and 60s. That is about when young and impressionable boys who read alot would grow up to be writers. Absolutely, this has to be the real life JQ Higgins! Through the magic of the internet (and Wikipedia) the secret is out.
Now the search begins for the real life Thomas Sullivan Magnum. Interesting note: very few Navy Seals are big, tall guys like TM. Too much weight and body mass leads to broken down bodies during BUD/S. Typical size is around 5'9" and 170 (or less) strong, lean, tough, "die rather than quit" pounds. I think TM has the right temperment, however, and alot of Seal officers are from Annapolis so we could start looking there. Higgy-Baby, what can you dig up?!

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Really interesting. Thanks for brining this up, Higgy_baby.
:)
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Very interesting Higgy_baby! He certainly could have been an influence on the creation of the character of J.Q. Higgins.

He didn't quite have the prodigious, or lengthy, career of our beloved Higgins, however. For that, they could have drawn inspiration from any of a number of legendary British WWII-era military figures, especially the great Sir Adrian Carton de Wiart.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#8 Post by Doc Ibold »

ConchRepublican wrote:Wow . . . that sounds too close to be a co-inky-dink!
I concur... and I still have to read the wiki post!

However, i doubt there was any real basis for magnum, as the show was originally supposed to be called "Cutter" and based in Beverly Hills. I think DPB had read up on this guy, as he seems pretty into history and based the Higgins character off of him... but split the true John Masters into 2 people. Masters the writer... and Higgins with the experience.

Postscript.... I have now read the wiki (and although its not the BEST source of fact)... that has to be Higgins' basis.

Jaybird
Admiral

#9 Post by Jaybird »

Just a few notes..... Amazon.com has a decent selection of John Masters' books and they get very good reviews.

If you check the wiki bio on Donald P. Bellisario you'll notice a few items of interest. He was born in 1935. As a teen and pre teen he could have immersed himself in Masters' novels. He became a Marine and later, wrote/produced for "Navy, NCIS" and "JAG". There is a definite connection to "all things military." He even has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
I wish we could ask him if the connection to JQ Higgins /Robin Masters is as we suspect.

PhatCat
Admiral

#10 Post by PhatCat »

Jaybird wrote: Interesting note: very few Navy Seals are big, tall guys like TM. Too much weight and body mass leads to broken down bodies during BUD/S. Typical size is around 5'9" and 170 (or less) strong, lean, tough, "die rather than quit" pounds.
Which makes me always wonder how Jesse Ventura was ever a Seal. The guy is huge!

HiHo
Commander

#11 Post by HiHo »

Awesome discovery Higgy_Baby.

I found a pic of the man in question, which lends further credence...

"I know what you're thinking..."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Steve »

Fascinating, this is becoming our own Higgins/Robin Masters mystery isn't it. Was Bellisario influenced by John Masers, my answer is absolutely yes........

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#13 Post by N1095A »

It's walkin' like a duck and it's quackin'.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Jaybird
Admiral

#14 Post by Jaybird »

PhatCat

Yes, there are larger Seals but they are in the minority. Jim Janos, AKA Jesse "The Body" Ventura was probably all of 210#s and about 6'4" back in the 60s.
There is a great book,"The Warrior Elite, The Forging of Seal Class 228"
by Dick Couch, that goes into the entire training of this one class. You won't be able to put it down. It hurts just to read it!

Anyway.....Bellisarius Productions. I was hoping to find a website, get contact info and drop him a note but no such luck. I'd bet Don would be thrilled to find there there are folks like us out there and I'd also bet that he would be amazed that Higgy-Baby made this connection!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#15 Post by Doc Ibold »

Actually, in Pro Wrestling, they often up a wrestlers height by 3-4 inches. For instance, Andre The Giant was probably more like 7'1 at his prime... instead of 7'4.