Would you buy a 308?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Jaybird
Admiral

Would you buy a 308?

#1 Post by Jaybird »

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Dr ... eId=121288

Interesting read.....! "$2700 for a bumper!?", "Magnum! Do you know what a windscreen for a Ferrari costs?"

It certainly isn't a Honda nor is it a daily driver but it may be the ultimate Magnum, p.i. accessory, except for the Hughes 500D of course.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#2 Post by N1095A »

The Hughes 500D might be lower maintenance :lol: .
Many of the so-called reasonably priced 308s such as the ones on Ebay have hidden problems. Timing belts are the main issue. Ferraris of this type require regular and expensive maintenance. Many times previous owners who have the money to buy a 308 don't have the means to maintain them. They require a tune-up at every 50,000 miles at a cost of around $5000, and an oil change runs around $600. I'm told, although I've never been able to verify it, that even a simple oil change requires droping the engine. So to answer your question, if money weren't an issue, then by all means I'd buy one. But if you're not a wealthy famous author, and who is? I'd steer clear of them.
There's one on Ebay right now that the seller states a small radiator hose leak cost $1200 to repair.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari- ... 1%7C39%3A1
Last edited by N1095A on Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#3 Post by Higgy_baby »

N1095A, I'm surprized as I would have thought the tune ups to happen way before 50k.

An interesting read indeed Jaybird. It's humbling to hear that a modern day Camry can accelerate to 60 faster and outdo Magnum's car in a 1/4 mile. No wonder he had so much trouble with the GTO in Face Value.

I used to work with a guy that had an older Ferrari. I think it was a 71 or 72 365. He wasn't overly rich but was able to keep it maintained and drove it to work occasionally each summer. Some of these cars are attainable.

IMO the 308 is the ultimate Magnum accessory, even over the much more expensive Hughes. For me, I just have to settle for the Audi rings that are stamped on some parts of my Volkswagen 1.8T engine and think it's related to Higgins ride.

N1095A

#4 Post by N1095A »

Higgy_Baby,
I'm pretty sure the 50,000 mile tune up is the big one, the one that requires dropping the engine, replacing timing belts, etc. Although it's never been clear to me just what service requires dropping the engine. I read a horror story of a guy who bought an '84 308 from Ebay for $32000, and had to spend another $25000, in repairs. Seemed the prevoius owner/s had neglected routine maintenance for some time.

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#5 Post by Higgy_baby »

Yes, I'm sure they are money pits. Maybe that's why we like the show, because a down to earth guy like Magnum can have all the toys we can only dream of, without the headaches.

N1095A

#6 Post by N1095A »

Higgy_baby wrote:Yes, I'm sure they are money pits. Maybe that's why we like the show, because a down to earth guy like Magnum can have all the toys we can only dream of, without the headaches.
TM once said if he owned the Ferrari that would "take all the fun out of it".
Of course, if he owned it, he'd constantly be thinking how much it was costing him, and how many miles 'til the next $6000 tune-up.

Carmen
MPI

#7 Post by Carmen »

I`d surely buy one if I had the money. The "Little 308" is one of the few Ferraris a woman can drive. I`d never be able to work the clutch of a F40 or Enzo.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

N1095A

#8 Post by N1095A »

I read that for TS they had to unbolt the seat, and move it back as far in the car as they could, then remove about 4" of foam from the seat just so he could fit in the car. I'm 6'4", I think I'd have a tough time fitting into a 308.
If you look at TM when he's driving, it always appears his knees are up against the steering wheel, and his head is sticking out over the windshield. also his back and head get no support from the seat.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by MACattack »

Yeah, I'd buy the ferrari! If I were rich like Robin Masters. I'd buy the Anderson estate too.
I just don't give a damn!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#10 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Higgy_baby wrote:I used to work with a guy that had an older Ferrari. I think it was a 71 or 72 365. He wasn't overly rich but was able to keep it maintained and drove it to work occasionally each summer. Some of these cars are attainable.
Older cars (early '70s and before) were much more simple mechanically. If you're handy, you can do a lot of the work yourself. Moving into the '80s, cars started to get a lot more complicated.

While I like the 308 a lot, if I were going for a classic, it would be a late '50s 356 Porsche.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#11 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I'd have to be rich to buy one because of the above mentioned maintenance. Give me a simple '65 Mustang instead.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Magnum T. »

If I had the money I would buy one for sure.
This is the ultimate power in the univ...I mean, this is the ultimate Magnum collector's item.
When I think Ferrari is the 308 GTS that comes to my mind.
I think it's a sort of imprinting.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Steve »

The 308 & 328 are absolutely beautiful machines and exactly what a sexy Italian Sports Car should look like. My personal opinion is Ferrari styling is getting too "Jaguarish" other than the Enzo's of course but unless I am relatated to a Shiek from Dubai, way out of my reach. I occasionally like to look at the 308's and 328's listed on E-Bay, but I couldn't deal with the maintenance either, plus, I'm not 6'4" but I am 6'2" and don't think I would fit comfortably........

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#14 Post by SelleckLover »

I'd buy a 308 after I win Lotto and buy my DeTomaso-Mangusta! :D

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by only looking »

I'd go with a Ford GT, those little suckers are fast,expensive, and have a Ferrari/Coyote (Hardcastle and Mccormick) and were limited enough to be cool..I'd go with the 2 tone black and silver..SWEET!! :wink:
It made me do it Higgins!!!