Magnum PI locations on HI

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Ullie
Lieutenant

#16 Post by Ullie »

Agatha and James, ty bunches for your kind welcome, and sorry for posting so late, and ty James for the great link to the site.
Flew to Ohau in the last week of July, and it was unusally cool there, but anyway, that island has some kinda magic, as displayed in Magnum PI.
I found Robin´s nest, the film studios (who sadly didnt let me in) and the Canoe Club at Waikiki. However, I didnt find the gate to Robins´Nest, which Erock has as a pic on his post. Where is it to be found.
Would love to post pics from the trip, but dont know how!
Ulli

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#17 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Ullie wrote:However, I didnt find the gate to Robins´Nest, which Erock has as a pic on his post. Where is it to be found.
Not sure how you found Robin's Nest, but couldn't find the gate...there's only one road!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Ullie
Lieutenant

#18 Post by Ullie »

Right, there is only one road, and I stopped there and crawled up the wall to take get a look of the estate. If I knew how to post pictures here, you could see that there is a different gate at Robins Nest now, either it was changed or that gate is a different location.
Ulli

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#19 Post by rubber chicken »

Here it is in google street view, if that helps. The street view photos are pretty recent, maybe six months old, give or take. You might remember passing under the large tree directly to the south.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#20 Post by J.J. Walters »

Google Street View is a hundred times awesome! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Steve »

rubber chicken wrote:Here it is in google street view, if that helps. The street view photos are pretty recent, maybe six months old, give or take. You might remember passing under the large tree directly to the south.
Oh my God!........Magnum didn't bring the trash receptical back in after garbage pickup day!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#22 Post by Agatha »

Oh! My! God!

That will probably cost him use of the Ferrari for a week!!

LOL!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Ullie
Lieutenant

#23 Post by Ullie »

rubber chicken wrote:Here it is in google street view, if that helps. The street view photos are pretty recent, maybe six months old, give or take. You might remember passing under the large tree directly to the south.
Rubber, ty bunches, yes, that is the gate I´ve been looking for and didnt find, and apparently I´ve been at the wrong estate this July, darn it, lol. I´ve been at that road though, and I thought I would recognize Robins Estate a few steps away, even crawled over the wall there and thought to recognize Robin´s Nest. I should have studied your website more carefully, as it is a wealth of info. So I have to travel to Ohau again to finally see Robins´Nest. I am wondering what I did take pics of, lol.
Someone in Ohau has to start a Magnum PI tour. Agatha, arent you living in Paradise???
Ulli

Ullie
Lieutenant

#24 Post by Ullie »

Look, been here at this gate and thought it would be Robins Nest, lol

<iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://www.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=12,23 ... iframe><br /><small><a href="http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hq=& ... urce=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Größere Kartenansicht</a></small>
Ulli

Ullie
Lieutenant

#25 Post by Ullie »

This the correct google maps link, so this is not the gate to Robins´Nest?

http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hq=& ... 97589&z=19>
Ulli

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#26 Post by Agatha »

LOL!! I don't know, Ullie. There are many days when my little patch of Pacific Northwest ground feels like a Paradise. But, no...I don't live in Hawaii. Although if I thought I could find a job, I'd seriously think about loading up my "critters" and making the move!! Especially if I thought I could pay my bills by helping folks find Magnum's Oahu! Sounds like great fun!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#27 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ullie wrote:This the correct google maps link, so this is not the gate to Robins´Nest?

http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hq=& ... 97589&z=19>
No, that's the wrong gate. This is the correct gate (the one with the sea turtle on it):

http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hq=& ... 99716&z=19
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#28 Post by rubber chicken »

Yep, the link you posted Ullie was the next door neighbor's gate. "Robin's Nest" is just to the northwest (and north).

Perhaps your subconscious prevented you from finding the gate in order to provide you with an excuse to return to Hawaii. :)

Ullie
Lieutenant

#29 Post by Ullie »

Agatha, lol, wouldnt it be agreat idea founding a business offering Magnum PI tours. As you can see, some are unable to find some places, like me, standing almost in front of the right gate and missing it any way.

James, ty, I cannot believe it that I didnt see the turtle gate and been climbing up the wrong gate and wall, lol, I could kick myself constantly, lol.

Rubber, yes, lol, it might have been unconsciiously that I was so duhhhh, now I´ve been the second time on Ohau and missed to see Robins Nest, and drove down that roud for 3 times. My only excuse is a 20 hrs flight from Germany and a 12 hrs time difference with a jetlag. And I couldnt go online in the Hotel to check your site again, other than planned.

Seriously, I think with all the popularity of Magnum PI even 2 decades after it had been shot, and with a planned movie, it would be a great idea if someone could offer tours to and into Magnum PI places, wouldnt it be great to be able to go inside Robin´s Nest or tour the Studios at Diamond Head.

Maybe one tour offered each year would be great! :)

TY all so much for you insight and help!
Ulli

Ullie
Lieutenant

#30 Post by Ullie »

Merry Christmas to you all and Happy Holidays!

Maybe you all enjoy this ecard, please click the link:

Click on Christmas Card >>>>>> Christmas Card

http://ak.imgag.com/imgag/product/previ ... 7/graphic1
Ulli