What was the first episode you videotaped and when?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

What was the first episode you videotaped and when?

#1 Post by 308GTS »

After reading through various threads about flubs and videotaped episodes from the 80's I just got nostalgic. So, can you remember what episode or from which season you first videotaped MPI?

For me, it was Italian Ice, taped around April or May (Spring anyhow) of 1982. It was taped using a JVC HR7700 VCR (top of the line back then) using a Maxell VHS tape. I do believe that my mum may still have the tape somwhere too...!
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Frodoleader »

It was "Letter to a Duchess", on our first VCR. I have no idea what brand it was. Except that it was a gift. We could not afford to buy our own at the time.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#3 Post by N1095A »

I didn't buy my first VCR until 1989. $400 at Sears. I believe it was a Zenith.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Steve »

I recall taping "Limbo" when it first aired. Funny thing was, I was living in a High Rise on Lake Shore Drive at the time and our local CBS Station was notorious for coming in fuzzy. The Station's microwave signal aimed towards the antenna's on top of the John Hancock building were blocked by Water Tower Place (Where Oprah lived until a couple of years ago). Being up on the 48th floor of my building, the CBS Station in South Bend, Indiana would skip across Lake Michigan and come in clearer so I had to tape the show off of that channel. I haven't looked at it in a while, but it is funny when I do seeing commercials for the local South Bend, Indiana news........

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by MPS »

We bought our first VCR in 1987 for about $200 (the bottom of the line).I think it may have been a Magnavox. I started taping the middle of season 7, because there was talk of there being no season 8. I still have Limbo labeled as "last Magnum PI" on the tape box. Wow, that was a long time ago.....
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Dervish
Rear Admiral

#6 Post by Dervish »

I never taped an episode! I didn't become a fan until last year. And I only managed to catch the show on Sleuth for 1-2 days until they took it off. :( I can't remember what the first episode I saw was, maybe that one where they go to England. I was like "aww, I wanna see Hawaii!"

Carmen
MPI

#7 Post by Carmen »

Can`t remember which one was the first, but I started to tape them in 1986 (bought a VCR in the year we married) , so every wednesday morning I watched some minutes before I went to work, I remember that very clearly, cause I always had to run to catch the train on wednesdays :wink:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Miss Q »

VCR - are you kidding me....

I was living at home with my parents when it originally airred, they didn't get cable until 2001, lets not even talk about a VCR.
Last edited by Miss Q on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

Carmen
MPI

#9 Post by Carmen »

*BG* Miss Q, like mine...
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by 308GTS »

Some of us are beginning to show our age here as a result of this thread. You young whippersnappers have no idea how good you've got it what with DVD's, HD, NetFlix etc etc.

Way back in the heyday of the show you had to wait until the show was aired to tape it and sit there and hit pause to edit out the TV ads... :lol:
Arun
------

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#11 Post by ConchRepublican »

Exactly 308GTS . . . I'm ecstatic about the DVDs. I have a box full of VHS tapes downstairs with Magnum episodes I used to tape of daytime TV reruns.

I got a old hand-me-down VCR in the 90's when I was going to college and would set the timer to record Magnum during the day while I was at class. I don't know how many episodes I actually watched, I just liked knowing they were there.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#12 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I can't remember taping episodes. I always had a knack for rearranging my schedule for Magnum, then came WGN/Sleuth and Tivo, and finally the DVD sets for which I am very grateful! It is so nice to see any episode I want at any time!

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by 308GTS »

The DVD's are an absolute godsend. I remember in the days when we had the VHS tapes, we'd frantically search around for all the best bits. Now, of course it's easy to find the best bits, the great clashes with Higgins, arguments over the wine cellar, use of the tennis courts and the Ferrari and of course Robin's VCR etc etc. Back in those days having a VCR was heaven on earth.

I just wonder if the show will ever get a Blue Ray release...?
Arun
------

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#14 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

And just think if Magnum had Tivo instead of a VCR tape for the Army/Navy game. I'm sure Magnum would've loved Tivo, especially with the time difference in Hawaii.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:And just think if Magnum had Tivo instead of a VCR tape for the Army/Navy game.
With Magnum's luck, he probably would have received the dreaded "tuner is unavailable" message.

For the life of me, I can't remember the first episode I taped. I'm pretty sure it was in '83, so it must have been a Season Three episode.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!