What is the SINGLE worst episode of MPI?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

What is the SINGLE worst episode of MPI?

#1 Post by lutherhgillis »

OK, if this has been done then I apologize.

Which is the absolute worst?

I considered Going Home, Paniolo, the Cassie Yates episodes, A Little Luck A Little Grief, Goldie Morris, and others but in the end my all-time worst episode was......

The Great Hawaiian Adventure Company

It had no redeeming qualities. It wasn't funny, it wasn't adventurous, it had no commoraderie(sp?), it was totally unrealistic and silly.

What is your all-time worst?
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Steve »

For me it is The Black Orchid.....Judith Chapman makes my skin crawl as many of you report Cassie Yates does. Honorable mention goes to; Two Birds Of a Feaher. The only thing that saved that episode from being on the bottom was Higgins reaction to Magnum when the plane crashed into the Tidal Pool..........

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

Kiss of the Sabre . . .

It is the only episode that I have actually shut off and said "I can't watch this".
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#4 Post by Doc Ibold »

Photo Play or A Pretty Good Dancing Chicken. for me.

A Pretty Good Dancing Chicken has one of the dumbest plots I can think of. Actually, it seems to be a ripoff of a 80's show staple (i.e. put the Heroes in Jail to track down the bad guys). See "Knight Rider" or "The A-Team" for examples.

And I know I'm gonna get flak for this, but I don't like Blood and Honor one bit. (It's not one of the worst episodes... I just don't like it)

There, I said it.

gmt16750
Captain

#5 Post by gmt16750 »

For me "I do?" is the absolute worst episode. Can't get involved nor find something amusing in it.
If this episode would have been aired as one of the first of the serie would have definitely nip in the bud magnum's durability and Tom Selleck's career.
Agatha: Why does he always do that, Jonathan?
Higgins: I don't know, Agatha. I think sometimes our creator is testing me. Indeed it could be for no other reason. If i thought otherwise i believe i truly would go irrevocably irretrievably mad!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Little Garwood »

I always thought that Cassie Yates was hot! :oops:

Two Birds of a Feather gets my vote. An abomination in an otherwise glorious season. My biggest pet peeve is when the producers shoehorn a pilot within an established show and use its popularity to foist junk on a captive audience. And Thomas literally phones in the solution at the end! Horrible! And downright insulting, too.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by Rutledal »

Two Birds Of a Feather and Paniolo are both horrible episodes, yes horrible, but the worst for me is Mixed Doubles.
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

"Smaller Than Life"!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by 308GTS »

Two Birds Of A Feather - Just lame, pure and simple

These two would be a close 2nd

Echoes Of The Mind - Just utter pointless nonsense

LA - I really do like David Sanborn but must he play that irritating riff each time Dana Delaney appears on screen.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#10 Post by Lt Tanaka »

Faith and Begorrah

The Love-For-Sale Boat

Both for the same reason, although the latter is worse. They are filled with cliched stereotypes that are downright offensive.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#11 Post by Agatha »

My SINGLE least favorite episode is ...By Its Cover!!! HANDS DOWN!

Or....I Witness.

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#12 Post by N1095A »

There are 4 or 5 that vie for this spot in my opinion. Any of these episodes could be called the worst by anyone, and I wouldn't disagree. The queation was the SINGLE worst, so for now I'll say "The Man From Marseilles". Jean-Claude Fornier just rubs me the wrong way.
I still stick by my statement that the worst episode of MPI is 1000 times better than anything on TV today.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Jaybird
Admiral

#13 Post by Jaybird »

This one is easy for me. The Legend of the Lost Art. Why was it even an episode? I can only surmise that it was put in for those Selleck fans who wondered how he would do playing Harrison Ford's role, the one he was offered but turned down because his integrity wouldn't allow him to back out of a contract. Had TS's dad not instilled a sense of integrity into him the series would have been a bust because TS would have played the movie role. MPI (minus Tom Selleck) would never have made it past the 1st season.

I cannot think of another actor that could have played Magnum! Thanks to Tom's dad!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#14 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Two that have been mentioned: Kiss of the Sabre and Smaller Than Life. I didn't care for either but, as Mike said, I'd still take 'em over most shows.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#15 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote:I always thought that Cassie Yates was hot! :oops:

Two Birds of a Feather gets my vote. An abomination in an otherwise glorious season. My biggest pet peeve is when the producers shoehorn a pilot within an established show and use its popularity to foist junk on a captive audience. And Thomas literally phones in the solution at the end! Horrible! And downright insulting, too.
Hey Little Garwood . . .

Just wanted to give you a big thumbs up for your icon. excellent issue, of an excellent story, from and excellent series during an excellent run.

Think I liked the X-Man back around then??? :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04