Magnum is "Comfort TV"!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Magnum is "Comfort TV"!

#1 Post by Little Garwood »

This could probably apply to most any show I like, but aside from the original Star Trek, Magnum, P.I. is the ultimate in comfort television. However, I watch a lot of vintage (1960-80s) television programs, 99% of them dramas--I've never been a sitcom guy--but whenever I'm down in the dumps, I can pop on a MPI DVD regardless of the season, and even the least of episodes (well, except "Birds of a Feather") often succeed in cheering me up. Especially late at night, when the world quiets down a bit. Whether it's the sanctuary that is Robin's Nest, the hellacious mess that is Thomas' guesthouse, Higgins' stately study, or the adventures that the guys are involved with, I can relax and immerse myself in 1980s Hawaii and be awash with nostalgia and my "TV family." Sound crazy? Too bad! :lol:

I recently watched "No Need to Know" and brightened my day because of it. Anyone else think of Magnum PI as comfort TV?
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#2 Post by Doc Ibold »

Easily.

If nothings on... which there frequently isn't... you can always go and pop on a Magnum... which is one of the reasons I've invested in the DVDs.

I'd love to put together a "Best of" collection of the top 20 episodes!

beachbum
Lieutenant

#3 Post by beachbum »

Does'nt sound crazy to me . I agree , also about the original Star Trek , I love that show also .

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#4 Post by Agatha »

Absolutely, Little Garwood!! I don't have TV...and I live alone...so whenever I need a little company, I pop in either a Magnum...I have the first five seasons so far...or a Jesse Stone.

And I also agree that I feel the same way about Star Trek...the original Star Trek, that is.

I don't even have to sit and watch...I've seen them so many times that I can putter around the house and listen. And when I hear that a favorite scene is coming up, then I stop and watch it. In the meantime, I am surrounded by the comforting voices of familiar characters involved in familiar stories...and it feels nice!!

A "best of" collection would be nice, too, Doc. In fact, I used to resent the episodes that I am less fond of because I'd let them play anyway. Now I'm more ruthless...I "next" through my least favorite episodes or one that I'm not in the mood to think about. Although I have to admit that I don't do that a lot because I enjoy most of the episodes.

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#5 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Excellent post! I think that is the perfect way to describe Magnum!

Sparkle & Fizz
Rear Admiral

#6 Post by Sparkle & Fizz »

Oh yes, I agree!

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by MPS »

I have to agree with everyone. MPI is frequently a treat at the end of a long day. I'll pop in a DVD if I want to relax. If I'm in a foul mood, the show improves my outlook on life.

MPI---good for what ails you!
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

I totally agree.

Part of the thing about MPI is that there is such a range of episodes, that there is an episode for every kind of mood.

Comedies, dramas, everything in between... there's always something to suit my mood.

Most of the shows I love are 1980s (though I do like some '60s and '70s too), but I have to say, as much as I love some of those shows, they're maybe best left in the past. MPI still does it for me!
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Jaybird
Admiral

#9 Post by Jaybird »

You are soooo right! Even the worst episode puts me in a better mood.
Plus,, back in the 80's life seemed much simplier. Were there even fax machines back then? No cell phones! Now, you go to the beach and 1/2 the people are on cells. Economic times were good. Health insurance was very affordable as were homes, at least in the early 80's. The music was great! How is it that the series began over a 1/4 century ago?!
God! I'm getting old.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#10 Post by SelleckLover »

Jaybird wrote:
God! I'm getting old.
I am too, and I would like to add...getting old is not for sissies!

DanielFrazão
Lieutenant

#11 Post by DanielFrazão »

Little Garwood,
It's exactly what I feel about Magnum P.I.! If that's crazy, so I'm crazy! That's something fresh, something REFRESHING in watching this show. How long the episodes last? One hour? It's an hour of refreshing, of feeling good about the world, yourself, life... I wonder if the lady who lives in the estate feels this refreshing feeling in every minute of her life for living there... Anyway, I guess I'm sounding very very crazy right now!