Current estate condition

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

Re: Current estate condition

#76 Post by Braddah Kimo »

200k? pocket change I'm sure for someone living here. I'm certain you're right that I'm certain she doesn't care at all it certainly is certain that is the case.

mikeaz123
Commander

#77 Post by mikeaz123 »

I haven't been there in about two years but I recall a lot of shrubbery that protects the house in a way that wasn't there during the show (for instance if they were on the lawn looking at the ocean, nothing was blocking their view, however now it's completely overgrown). If I owned it, I would leave that up to keep out the lookie-loo's. The place actually reminds me a bit of my grandma's house in Palos Verdes, she lived by herself till she was 95, and things slowly deteriorated. IT wasn't inhabitable by far, it's fine for the most part, but no real effort was made on her or my mom's part to keep it up with modern times.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Lemme put it this way. You own an estate that size, ALL your time, money and attention is going towards the maintenance and upkeep of the interiors and roofing wherein you dwell. She currently has NO film company with the monetary wherewithal to keep alive crews daily shooting there who have ALL kinds of construction crew, prop builders, painters, carpenters etc. to perform the creation of the facade everyone is accustomed to seeing in MPI. This rose colored glasses view everyone has, results in an unfortunate, disproportionate backwards, false, unjust perspective and attitude that the estate and grounds are quickly falling into disrepair and general progressively run down condition. It is E.A.'s estate and she does as much as she wants and she does whatever she wants there and NO one is in any position to know what goes on in her head, nor to assume her capacity or interest in currently maintaining the estate in the requisite condition for a top rated location weekly TV show. Which ain't happening lately.

mikeaz123
Commander

#79 Post by mikeaz123 »

I agree, but it's pretty obvious from seeing it in person that it's in disrepair, but it's her house; who are we to judge. She also is an heiress, so I'm fairly certainly she has enough money to fix it up, but once you get to a certain age, you probably don't want to worry yourself with trivial things like having the bushes trimmed and the lawn mowed.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by Braddah Kimo »

I would never conjecture the monetary worth of a person here in the islands. Nor assume to tell them what to do with their nebulous supposed fortune.

Receive a registered letter implying she should take better care of the place because of a handful of fans of a show that used her property a few decades ago?
What insulting audacity. Such affrontery.

"Hay! Fix up your place. It is really falling into disrepair! We KNOW ya have the money to do it! So... hop to! Do it!"

E.A. reads any of this no wonder she is would be hesitant to cowtow or cater to or even listen, to any degree, to mainlander's whims.

"it's her house; who are we to judge." Yes. But judging is being done.

mikeaz123
Commander

#81 Post by mikeaz123 »

I don't know what you're talking about; I would never send a letter telling her what to do with her house; maybe that was in an earlier post, I haven't read the whole thread. Anyways, shrug, I don't want to get in an argument, it's her house and she can do whatever she wants with it.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Totally agree here, Braddah,

If someone wrote me a letter telling me what do do with my house, I'd certainly give him an appropriate reply - not so respectfully though :magnum:

@ mike: We have been referring to this:
Estate resident wrote:..... Maybe all she needs is polite, respectful registered letter from a certain internet discussion board expressing its concern for a significant piece of television & American culture history.

runawayselleck
Lieutenant Commander

#83 Post by runawayselleck »

Why dont you all form a "Lets Re-Feather Robins Nest" Group. Go to the local newspapers in Hawaii and tell them of your wish to restore the place and have the newspapers write a feature on it. You will no doubt get a reply from the estate and you may even get a chance to visit and have your pictures taken with the owner. Its an excellent plan! You could even get Selleck involved, get all your members here at Magnum Mania to sign a petition to "Refeather the Nest", and then send it to Selleck to sign, he may not sign it but then again he may sign it! It would mean publicity for this site, for the tv series, and you may even get the lawns mowed at Robins Nest again. You may even find some of the stray tennis balls that Magnum hit in Mixed Doubles!

Think of it, it's a great idea! For those that are nearby, go forth and make it happen!

Runaway Selleck

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Yes a reply from the estate would probably be forthcoming however it would most likely not be along the lines of what is expected here .

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

runawayselleck wrote:Why dont you all form a "Lets Re-Feather Robins Nest" Group. Go to the local newspapers in Hawaii and tell them of your wish to restore the place and have the newspapers write a feature on it. You will no doubt get a reply from the estate and you may even get a chance to visit and have your pictures taken with the owner. Its an excellent plan! You could even get Selleck involved, get all your members here at Magnum Mania to sign a petition to "Refeather the Nest", and then send it to Selleck to sign, he may not sign it but then again he may sign it! It would mean publicity for this site, for the tv series, and you may even get the lawns mowed at Robins Nest again. You may even find some of the stray tennis balls that Magnum hit in Mixed Doubles!

Think of it, it's a great idea! For those that are nearby, go forth and make it happen!

Runaway Selleck
Well, generally a good idea.
If you are reading a bit more here, you'll see that Mrs. Anderson - the estate owner - is not very keen about the publicity that her home still gets after all these years.
She wants her privacy and is not overly friendly to "visitors" that continuosly- and still- are breeching her privacy.

She was never depending on the money that has been paid for using the estate as a shooting location - I guess that it was more a friendly gesture to the local film guys than a real financial asset.

So your activities - may they be in good faith - don't match with the real circumstances.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#86 Post by Stelth »

Getting an elderly heiress to fix up her property to the standards of a group of strangers doesn't seem realistic to me either. It's a nice daydream but I don't think it will work. The fact that the estate is deteriorating could be a sign that this woman is suffering from dementia. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dement ... N=symptoms
Or it could be that she isn't as wealthy as some may believe. Either way, sending a letter to her (or about her to a local TV station) would probably seem more like an invasion of privacy than a genuine offer of help regardless of the intentions of the sender.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#87 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

IMO, it's more the thought:
"I am only doing, what I feel that is necessary, may my heirs do with it what ever they like when I am gone."

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#88 Post by Stelth »

Bondtoys.de wrote:IMO, it's more the thought:
"I am only doing, what I feel that is necessary, may my heirs do with it what ever they like when I am gone."
That seems just as likely.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#89 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Oh, So Now she is crazy.
Here is the reaction that will be received if this "good idea", "nice daydream" were pursued, based on my half century living here in Hawai'i;

Hey you haoles, you all love to assume. Create scenarios, and make up s#!t all the time, we dunno where it comes from, we don't care, but it's incredibly annoying, and has been forever: "I am sure this is it." "Probably that is what's happening." "Oh this is gotta be what's going on..." "I guess that it was..."
"Hey, I am sure you have enough money fix your place!"
"I know Eve does not care anymore"
"Here is what it would cost to repair the place..."
"She is at a certain age I am sure she thinks this..."
"This is more the thought going on in her head..." "It's more likely this..." "In my opinion, this is what she is thinking..."
And you americans all need to namecall and make labels for people and insult them. And their homes. "elderly heiress", "Her estate is deteriorating, falling into disrepair" "Lady, I am sure you are either insane or broke!" Sheesh. (We hear you have given the Marks Estate this treatment too)
Just leave us alone, never mind what we are worth, or what our intentions are, keep your own mainland standards there, stop being so friggin nosy, stay out of our private affairs and our private lives, tend to your own affair. Mind your own business, and we will mind ours. Do you know what live and let live means?

I didn't say it. But that is what will be said.
You may not hear it directly. But we will. Been hearing it for decades.
Last edited by Braddah Kimo on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by Braddah Kimo »

I tell you what would make a good story in our local paper. This whooooole scenario. The whole damned messy thing.