Identify old baseball glove

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

only looking
Fleet Admiral

Identify old baseball glove

#1 Post by only looking »

I was wondering if any of you guys are hardcore sports nuts. Remember when Magnum is oiling up his glove in "Squeeze Play" and Magnum mentions Al Kalaine...I assumed his glove was an Al Kalaine glove as alot of the sports companies make "Ball Player Editioned" gloves, but I know that the red tag on the glove is a Rawlings and I don't remember or that matter been able to find a Rawling Al Kalaine glove...foun alot of others like Wilsons so can anyone actually identify the glove. The stitching on the glove as well as the type of backstrap are the key. Be kind of neat having the same type of glove. Screen caps are appreciated... :D Also the bed in the guest house Magnum slept on the big brass bed..King or Queen? I'm guessing King, but due to the set may have been a queen.
It made me do it Higgins!!!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by lutherhgillis »

Wilson made the Al Kaline glove exclusively. I already checked this out a while back. I noticed, like you, that the glove Magnum is calling an Al Kaline was actually a Rawlings. Nice spot!

Not sure about the bed but it looks like a queen size to me. Magnum's bedroom appears to be pretty average in size so I doubt a king would fit.

Cheers.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by only looking »

Well we know that it is a Rawlings and I'd say a model before the early 80's....I'm wondering if it wasn't a mickey mantle model or something...I need to look at the top stitching...the backstrap and the way the fingers look on the inside of the glove to really tell.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by perfectlykevin »

Does anyone have a pic of the glove? I actually need a new glove and why not try to find one similar to the big guy's? :)

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by only looking »

I know it also shows the glove in the ep. "Black on white". I wonder if it's a youth's glove as Tom's hand doesn't fully go into the glove.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#6 Post by N1095A »

I'm kind of suprised how cheap the vintage Kaline gloves are going for on Ebay. Some of them look to be in great condition too. They look like my Dad's glove.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#7 Post by rubber chicken »

Here's some screencaps, all from Squeeze Play (4.7) except the top right picture which is from Black on White (3.6).

Last edited by rubber chicken on Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#8 Post by N1095A »

Here's one that's on ebay now. They look very similar except they're Wilsons. They look to be in great condition. Prices are going from $5-$50.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by perfectlykevin »

Cool! and great to know that it's fairly affordable too. :D

Kev

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by lutherhgillis »

I wonder if the Rawlings glove that Magnum always used was his own? It seems more like a softball glove than a baseball glove due to the length of the fingers and webbing. I wonder if Tom has an old Al Kaline glove at home? I know he is a Detroit fan in real life.

Thanks for the pics of the Rawlings, Rubber Chicken. That glove looks alot like my softball glove.

Also, if you watch Transitions, you will see the Mag take an old (little league?) baseball glove out of the box in the beginning of the epi. It looks to be an old Wilson. I wonder if it is an Al Kaline? It is most certainly not the Rawlings glove used in Squeeze Play and Jorroro Spoiled Brat episodes.

Cheers.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Nice spot on the glove guys. I've updated the episode guide. "Squeeze Play" now has eight flubs and counting. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!