What are your "Magnum PI" habits?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

What are your "Magnum PI" habits?

#1 Post by Frodoleader »

From the many hours of watching our favorite television show, have you picked up any Thomas Magnum/Magnum PI habits?

For instance, whenever I enter a room full of people, etc., my opening response is alway "Hi Guys!" Its been a habit of mine since the '80's.

Think about the idiosyncrisies of TM in MPI. Now think about yourself. Do you find yourself doing them too? What are they?

:lol:
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#2 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

My wife says I have his humor and caring about other people, and I do like Fig Newtons and beer!

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by Lt Tanaka »

I watched the show as a kid and didn't see it again until a few years ago when I started buying the dvd's. Was shocked to realise that I have the exact same laugh, especially when up to no-good. :)

My laugh ain't my own!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#4 Post by ConchRepublican »

I hear ya guys.

I use the "hi guys" and have heard myself laugh like TM a little too often as well. Especially the "I'm up the something" Smedly type giggle/laugh.

I have also found myself using his hand mannerisms from time to time.

I have adopted the Magnum frustrated face (furrowed brow, lips rolled, mouth line extended pushing cheeks out) to the point that my wife pointed out a Magnum face last week.

The worst offense (if one chooses to see it that way) would probably be the wardrobe. MANY hawaiian shirts, or tropical shirts with epaulets, tan shorts (not TM short, but not Higgy knee length either) and cap. On vacation with my family last year in Key Largo my sis ter commented by the pool "you really want to be Magnum, don't you". I was wearing tan shorts, a light blue tropical shirt, epaulets and rolled sleeves (with tabs) and a ballcap. Oh, and boat shoes.

Oh heck . . . does anyone else sometimes think like they have a little voice? :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Frodoleader »

Conch - your post reminded me of other MPI habits I have: I own a "tiger stripe" camo shirt, I've used to play paintball in. Bought it at a surplus store and it is the most expensive shirt I own! My decision to purchase a tiger stripe shirt was totally based on MPI.

Sperry Topsider boat shoes - wear 'em all the time, even in winter.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#6 Post by N1095A »

I've spent more money on MPI related stuff than I care to admit. Some on projects (belt buckle, various caps) that worked out, some that didn't. I rarely leave the house without the watch and bracelet. I usually wear an MPI cap, Ray Bans, etc. I do enjoy the Fig Newtons dunked in milk. There was an episode where TM was eating Oreos dunked in milk, and I do that as well. I've recently started needing reading glasses. I was able to find a dorky looking pair very similar to TM's. I am the same age now as TM was in season 7, I guess it's to be expected. I check out ebay motors weekly looking at Ferrari 308 GTSs. The 3 or 4 beers I have per year are almost always Coors longnecks. Watching old movies with chili dogs with cheese. I can't watch sports on TV, but watching a Tigers game while wearing my Tigers cap is on my to do list. MPI has given me a love of baseball. It has a special meaning as my dad played from the late 40s through the late 60s. Also on my to-do list, or to-buy list is a gorilla mask, rubber chicken, Tigers jersey, and aiming high, A surf-ski. Diana and I rented ocean Kayaks last week, and paddled around the Boca Grande causway. And yes, I wore my VM02 cap. All that was missing was the sack full of Coops strapped to the back. I can't go to the beach at our new spot (1111 W. 11th st, Boca Grande FL, 33921) without visions of MPI going through my head. that's the address of what I call the Magnum House on the island. Check out the pics I posted of it in the Beach Bar "Member photos" thread, and Virtual Earth. Threads like these make me take stock of just how much MPI is firmly ingrained in my personality. There are much worse things, and worse choices for a role model.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

HiHo
Commander

#7 Post by HiHo »

Same here..."Hi, guys" and the laugh.

And the hands on the hips annoyed look on the face, head slightly cocked stance when something/someone bugs me.
"I know what you're thinking..."

Cagliostro
Lieutenant Commander

#8 Post by Cagliostro »

I have not picked up any of Magnums habits, I have however picked up a few of Higgins habits. Namely when some thing angers me I will go "Oh. My. GOD!" or pick out one word and repeat it like higgins would.

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#9 Post by Jodykmg365 »

When eating cookies, I now drink my milk from a brandy glass. Does that count? :lol:

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Little Garwood »

I pawn off my duties on my two best friends and never repay my debts. I eat massive amounts of junk food *and* exercise regularly.

:lol:
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#11 Post by Rutledal »

I have adapted a laughter similiar to Magnum's girlish laugh.
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#12 Post by Agatha »

I, too, say "Hi, guys!" a lot.

And...when I'm really angry at someone and plotting to get back at them in some less-than-my-higher-self manner, I'm starting to hear Thomas say something like..."If you do that, they win. Are you going to let that happen?"

I think I could do worse for a Guardian Angel than Thomas Magnum, don't you?

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by MPS »

Like many others, I say "Hi, guys!" quite a bit. I also say "Ta" when leaving, something TM does in the first few seasons.

Just recently, my "Oh, my God!" is starting to sound more like Higgins than me.

I rarely leave the house without a camera and multiple lenses.
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Carmen
MPI

#14 Post by Carmen »

My 6-year-old son uses 'Oh my God' whenever it fits - or not. :)
I wear my sunglasses with that kind of necklace, ribbon (no, That isn´t a correct word for that thingy, is it?) TM wears.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Frodoleader »

Last one from me: second son's middle name is "Thomas". Named after Tom Selleck/Thomas Magnum. Seriously.