Flub or no flub: North Shore location for Estate?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Estate located on North Shore: Flub or no flub?

Flub
44%
Not a Flub
56%

Total votes: 9

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

Flub or no flub: North Shore location for Estate?

#1 Post by lutherhgillis »

Is it a flub or license? The Masters Estate was considered to be located at the North Shore of Oahu in several episodes. In one of the early episodes, I believe it is Thank Heaven for Little Girls..., you can hear canned surf sounds in some scenes. There was obviously no surf at the estate. In the Ki'i's Don't Lie episode they even point out to the Simon guy on the beach that there is no surf.

Flub or no flub?
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#2 Post by N1095A »

I think this one falls under the "License" catagory. Much like the fictional location of the guest house as compared to the actual location of the boat house.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by lutherhgillis »

Yes, I can see it that way also. Thanks.

Would it be cool to have an oceanfront estate on Oahu or what?

N1095A

#4 Post by N1095A »

You said it. Although if I had my choice, I'd most likely pick a spot somewhere near the estate rather than the north shore. Ever tried snorkeling in heavy surf?

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#5 Post by golfmobile »

Mike,

I'm not sure about this, but I think the heavy surf there is only during the "winter" months. We were there in September, and it wasn't that bad. I didn't go in because I can't swim (so trying to snorkel on an air mattress might have been a little risky). Well, actually, we DID go in the water and tried to snorkel but didn't see much on Saturday, Sept. 13, at Pupukea Beach, which is on the same long stretch of beach as Sunset Beach (Pupukea is very slightly southwest from Sunset -- Google Earth it and see), where the "pipeline" surfing competitions are (I believe).

But frankly, I wouldn't argue with ANY beachfront residence in Hawaii. If you don't like your particular property's beach for what you want to do (surf, snorkel), at least you're THERE and you can always drive to another beach to do what you want!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by MPS »

I think it falls under the license category as well. Does anyone know WHY the estate was supposed to be on the North Shore? Was it to make it more isolated? Perhaps more exclusive? Large properties closer to Honolulu would cost more money; so that doesn't seem to be a good reason.

I have always assumed that Eve Anderson, or someone acting on her part, had the location changed in the scripts. It was alot harder to locate places, back when MPI was filmed, than it is today. Perhaps some fans went driving up to the North Shore, in hopes of finding the estate.

Any thoughts?
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

N1095A

#7 Post by N1095A »

golfmobile wrote:... I wouldn't argue with ANY beachfront residence in Hawaii. If you don't like your particular property's beach for what you want to do (surf, snorkel), at least you're THERE and you can always drive to another beach to do what you want!
golf
I completely agree. I was just saying that if I had my pick of locations. :wink:
Also, I got slammed pretty hard the other day because I tried to snorkel the day after a storm.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by lutherhgillis »

Hey guys,

Here is a little more ammunitioin for those of us in the flub camp. When Magnum is going away to the North shore to visit the surfer chick in Dream A Little Dream, he packs for a trip to the North Shore because it is a fairly long distance for him if I remember correctly. If he LIVED at the North Shore, it would not be an overnighter but a short day trip...

Thoughts? :wink:

N1095A

#9 Post by N1095A »

lutherhgillis wrote:Hey guys,

Here is a little more ammunitioin for those of us in the flub camp. When Magnum is going away to the North shore to visit the surfer chick in Dream A Little Dream, he packs for a trip to the North Shore because it is a fairly long distance for him if I remember correctly. If he LIVED at the North Shore, it would not be an overnighter but a short day trip...

Thoughts? :wink:
Unless she told him she was in danger, and he A) planned on staying the night to protect her, B) had thoughts of rekindling the old relationship.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#10 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I just think it boils down to the writers not knowing scripts would be analyzed like this. I'm sure we can find these inconsistencies in almost any series that has had a decent run.