rare photo's

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#16 Post by ConchRepublican »

I had found this one a while ago . . .

CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Estate resident
Captain

#17 Post by Estate resident »

Are there any pics of a scene being filmed on the estate? Also, does anyone know the last day of production? I read somewhere when Hillerman got the news he canceled the lease on his condo and flew back to texas that same day. Its interesting to me how not a single cast member remained in Hawaii.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#18 Post by N1095A »

I heard TS on a radio interview a few years back say that he hadn't been back to Hawaii since MPI. He joked, that he didn't know why. He could go any time he wanted.
I also read, I believe on this board way way back that he still owned property there. Strange if he did, and in fact has not been back.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#19 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I guess maybe Hawaii gets ho hum after living there eight years. I'd like to test that theory out though.

N1095A

#20 Post by N1095A »

Call me crazy, but I watched 2 episodes of "Dog The Bounty Hunter" the other night because I wanted to see Hawaii. I can't stand Chapman or his crew, but I wanted to see what Oahu looks like today, and check for MPI landmarks.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Sam »

Hi Estate Resident,
Welcome to the forum

Hillerman remained in Hawaii until late 1989 when he sold his condo and moved to California.His old place was recently put up for sale.Sale is pending.Somewhere there is another link with more pictures.

http://www.oahure.com/details.php?M0=28 ... Property=Y

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#22 Post by golfmobile »

I think he's been back -- at least, when we were with "Michael," he said something to the effect that TS "always" calls him ("Michael") when he (TS) is there, just to touch base. Perhaps he does that with several members of the crew who still live there? Maybe he just went back to handle the sale of his house in Blackpoint?

Personally, no idea of the accuracy of the above. :?:

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Sam »

Haha Mike,

I saw your post last Wednesday about the Dog.All I saw was Colorado. :)

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#24 Post by ConchRepublican »

Wow . . . nice place, and I'm not a condo guy . . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#25 Post by golfmobile »

Mike,

I watch anything to do with Hawaii too. That's how I got hooked on "Lost." I liked the cop show with Eric Balfour that ran just a few episodes before being cancelled right after the 2004 Olympics (I think it was). I wasn't even aware of "North Shore" until recently. I think there are some others too, but I haven't seen them. I'd watch 'em if I could find them. Even watched "Maui Chopper" when I could find it, but I don't see it's running any more, darn it.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A

#26 Post by N1095A »

Sam wrote:Haha Mike,

I saw your post last Wednesday about the Dog.All I saw was Colorado. :)
Yeah, I started watching that one, and realized he wasn't in HI, so I changed the channel. I did catch 2 eps on Saturday where he was in Hawaii.

Golf,
I have never seen a single episode of Lost. I should watch it, but from what I understand, it's an on going story, and if you didn't watch it from the beginning, you won't get it. Is that true?

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#27 Post by golfmobile »

Mike,

Re Lost: I hadn't watched or paid attention to it either until we got back from Hawaii in September (if I'd known, there ARE some beach locations I would have liked to have visited when we were there). But then I started getting the DVDs from Netflix, starting with the first show, first season, and then all caught up by the time the current season started. I also have a P2P program where I could watch it on my computer. It made a lot more sense when you could watch 3-4 shows in a row instead of having to wait a week in between -- made the convoluted story easier to remember. I think both Hulu and Fancast stream the episodes, so on your own time, you could start watching from the beginning and catch up (on Fancast, go all the way down to the bottom of the page for the first one, then they proceed chronologically up the page). It's pretty wacky - Larry says some real stoners must have come up with all the stuff that's going on, says he can't imagine how the idea for it was EVER pitched to producers, just too off the wall. Give it a shot, starting with the pilot, and you might find you have something better to watch than most of current TV. At least the scenery is right . . . . (there is also a website for "Lost" locations, which I also found interesting -- people do the same for "Lost" as rubberchicken has for MPI: Lost locations -- I was delighted when I spotted Waimanalo Beach, I thought, in a couple of episodes and then confirmed that on the Lost Locations website. It's a shame they never did an incidental, throwaway scene of "this looks like the tidal pool from Magnum P.I." -- but there might have been copyright problems with even that much of a mention . . . . )

But I would suggest watching a few episodes and THEN looking up where they were shot, so you get a better feel for how the locations were used.

Have fun and give me a report if you proceed as advised above. (And an inaccurate word usage for SelleckLover's appreciation: the blurbs say "the survivors are stranded on a desert island" -- it's NOT a "desert" island; it's tropical, you ignorant slobs; it's a "desertED" island!!!) (okay, dismounting the high horse now)

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A

#28 Post by N1095A »

I did see the web page for the locations. I was looking up the Omega Station site ("J. Digger Doyle"), and noticed that it had been used extensively in Lost. Interesting story about that building. When the USCG stopped using it, they debated tearing it down, but the thick steel reinforced concrete walls made that impossible. I keep hoping they will restore it, and turn it into a visitor attraction. Maybe a park. Great history with the building, and antennaes. Plus let's not forget the Haiku stairs. Shame to just let it go to ruin.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Sam »

Mike,
If you're interested in watching "Lost" You can watch it here.

http://fep.abc.go.com/fep/player?src=ab ... owId=93372

N1095A

#30 Post by N1095A »

Thanks Sam!