Magnum hawaiian shirts

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Magnum hawaiian shirts

#76 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Thanks Conch! Although these shipping charges are going to put a hole in my wallet.

Do I want cotton or rayon?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#77 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Thanks Conch! Although these shipping charges are going to put a hole in my wallet.

Do I want cotton or rayon?
No problem Styles!

I hear you about shipping, I manage a lot of my shopping by combining shipping costs. Maybe shopping through Amazon can help?

As for the material, cotton is my usual choice . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I've ordered my shirts from

http://www.paradiseclothingco.com/produ ... t=318&pg=2

Very nice and helpful people - ask them for a 10% discount code.
As for the material, Rayon is much better when the weather is really hot - Jungle Bird is only available in Cotton, Star Orchid only in Rayon.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I posted this reply to Fr. Paddy about Hawaiian shirts in the "How do you get your Magnum fix" thread but I'm copying it here to be sure this info gets into a more appropriate thread... the lady I found (down below) custom made Tom Selleck's aloha shirts, so hopefully she can help you gentlemen who are looking for those original shirts. :D
Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote:I have a few of TM’s from the show; the red Jungle Bird and the purple Calla Lily. I don’t wear them though. That would be like wearing Superman’s cape. For years I have been searching for this one with no success. It’s my white whale. I would wear this shirt. I love it.

http://magnum-mania.com/images/6_4_full.jpg
Hi Fr. Paddy,

I remember Little Garwood was looking for that one too. You might PM him to see if he ever located it... http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... =45#p41646
Thanks RG, I remember reading that thread some time ago, but I had no idea where to find it. The last time I was in Honolulu I stopped by Baileys Antiques and Aloha Shirts. They claim to have over 15,000 Aloha shirts in stock. It’s a few minutes walk from the Honolulu Zoo. They told me they get a few people a year looking for this shirt but they’ve never come across one. I’ve heard Selleck say before that all his shirts were hand made so it may have been a “one of”. But I dream of finding it one day. I’ll check with LG. Thanks again for the link.
Ohhhhhhhh, for some reason I thought it was a Paradise Found shirt. Well, since that's not the case, I saw this comment on Lenkov's Instagram the other day (3/17/18). If it wasn't her who made the shirt maybe she knows who did or where to find one! Here's her website & Instagram - her name is Patti Tudisco...
https://cooliesurf.com/
https://www.instagram.com/coolie_surf/

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#80 Post by ConchRepublican »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I posted this reply to Fr. Paddy about Hawaiian shirts in the "How do you get your Magnum fix" thread but I'm copying it here to be sure this info gets into a more appropriate thread... the lady I found (down below) custom made Tom Selleck's aloha shirts, so hopefully she can help you gentlemen who are looking for those original shirts. :D
Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote: Thanks RG, I remember reading that thread some time ago, but I had no idea where to find it. The last time I was in Honolulu I stopped by Baileys Antiques and Aloha Shirts. They claim to have over 15,000 Aloha shirts in stock. It’s a few minutes walk from the Honolulu Zoo. They told me they get a few people a year looking for this shirt but they’ve never come across one. I’ve heard Selleck say before that all his shirts were hand made so it may have been a “one of”. But I dream of finding it one day. I’ll check with LG. Thanks again for the link.
Ohhhhhhhh, for some reason I thought it was a Paradise Found shirt. Well, since that's not the case, I saw this comment on Lenkov's Instagram the other day (3/17/18). If it wasn't her who made the shirt maybe she knows who did or where to find one! Here's her website & Instagram - her name is Patti Tudisco...
https://cooliesurf.com/
https://www.instagram.com/coolie_surf/

THIS is the BEST thing to have come out of the reboot so far! :magnum:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

ConchRepublican wrote:
THIS is the BEST thing to have come out of the reboot so far! :magnum:
Oh good, I'm glad Conch! I hope she can help you (& others) out with what you're looking for! :D

knight8882
Lieutenant

#82 Post by knight8882 »

I always thought about having a Hawaiian shirt made in the spirit of TM's "jungle bird" shirt, but using artwork of robins in and around their nests instead. Something like John J. Audubon's original American Robin painting as the repeating motif:

It would be fun to wear and see if anyone would ever get the reference :wink: :lol:
Magnum, remember what I told you about Robin Masters?

I lied.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by Little Garwood »

I have yet to find the "Kona Winds" shirt, but I sincerely hope if anyone here at Magnum-Mania ever locates it, they will either PM me or failing that, bump this thread with the good news. It would be MUCH appreciated!

One would think that several of these would have been made for stuntmen, doubles, etc., It's not iconic as the Jungle Bird shirt, but it's the Aloha shirt I like best. Perhaps showing up so late in the run denied it the attention it might have gotten had it appeared earlier.

"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by Little Garwood »

The yellow Jungle Bird-style--but with pineapples--yet another Aloha shirt I wouldn't mind owning:

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by Little Garwood »

knight8882 wrote:I always thought about having a Hawaiian shirt made in the spirit of TM's "jungle bird" shirt, but using artwork of robins in and around their nests instead. Something like John J. Audubon's original American Robin painting as the repeating motif...

It would be fun to wear and see if anyone would ever get the reference :wink: :lol:
I could see this Robin's nest motif gracing the gates of Robin's Nest (with all due respect to the turtles, of course) as a shield or "crest."

Come on, Magnum Maniacs--it's summer! Let's talk Aloha shirts!

~Tom Selleck

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#86 Post by Steve »

Little Garwood wrote:

Aloha shirts.....GOOD!.........Summer..............GOOD!........Frozen concoctions from Tiki Bars......GOOD! Oh, and I never ride without the appropriate shirt.......

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#87 Post by Pahonu »

Steve wrote:
Little Garwood wrote:

Aloha shirts.....GOOD!.........Summer..............GOOD!........Frozen concoctions from Tiki Bars......GOOD! Oh, and I never ride without the appropriate shirt.......
That's quite a combo! :D

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#88 Post by perfectlykevin »

Little Garwood wrote:The yellow Jungle Bird-style--but with pineapples--yet another Aloha shirt I wouldn't mind owning:

That I like! Of course it would make me want pizza too, because of the pineapple reference :)

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#89 Post by Little Garwood »

Steve wrote:
Little Garwood wrote:

The first thing I noticed was the black Jungle Bird shirt!

~Tom Selleck

Brian
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by Brian »

Sneakers Higgins!!