The MPI-QL episode that almost was.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Cagliostro
Lieutenant Commander

The MPI-QL episode that almost was.

#1 Post by Cagliostro »

So lutherhgillis's post in If anything was possible, Who would you like to see on MPI? about having Scott Backula guest star on MPI got me thinking, and what if they had filmed that cross-over episode of MPI and QL? Do you think they would have set it during the series proper of after it ended? I started trying to find a point where it would work within the series and I think I found it: Limbo the last episode of season seven. Since there are two versions of it, it seemed to me the perfect place to have Sam "set right what once went wrong".

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#2 Post by N1095A »

Welcome Cagliostro, member # 400! As member #400 you win the use of the Ferrari on alternate Thursdays, and use of the wine cellar twice a month :lol:.

About he crossover,
QL while a fine show in it's own right wouldn't have worked in a crossover with MPI. It would have been neat to see Sam leap into Tom Selleck during a MPI shoot, but I just don't think it would have worked in the show. They simply are two different types of shows. Much like an A-Team crossover. The chemistry of each wouldn't have mixed at all well. We saw this with "Novel Connection". The Simon & Simon crossover worked well because the shows were quite similar in so many ways.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Cagliostro
Lieutenant Commander

#3 Post by Cagliostro »

N1095A wrote:Welcome Cagliostro, member # 400! As member #400 you win the use of the Ferrari on alternate Thursdays, and use of the wine cellar twice a month :lol:.

About he crossover,
QL while a fine show in it's own right wouldn't have worked in a crossover with MPI. It would have been neat to see Sam leap into Tom Selleck during a MPI shoot, but I just don't think it would have worked in the show. They simply are two different types of shows. Much like an A-Team crossover. The chemistry of each wouldn't have mixed at all well. We saw this with "Novel Connection". The Simon & Simon crossover worked well because the shows were quite similar in so many ways.
Whoo-hoo! :lol:

You bring up good points. I guess when I was typing out the thread I was just on a Magnum high from having just noticed the MPI reverence in the first episode of QL, when watching it on Hulu.com(I really with they'd add MPI :cry: ) .

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#4 Post by N1095A »

By all means don't get me wrong. I thought quantum Leap was a great show that was ahead of it's time. As I pointed out, I think a leap into Tom Selleck, or one of the other actors while working on MPI would have been a great show. I just don't think a crossover involving a leap into TM or one of the MPI characters would have worked. I do think it would have made a great and memorable QL episode.
While I was never a big A-Team fan, it was also huge, and very entertaining for what it was. Even as a 12 y/o, I understood the comic book-like nature of The A-Team. I did watch it growing up, and being a helicopter junkie, I always liked H.M. Murdock. I also enjoyed the running gags on the show. I.E. The way they obtained aircraft. Stealing them off repair lines before they were fixed, conning owners into letting them "borrow" a plane or helicopter, and MR.T's fear of flying. It would have been funny to see Murdock "Borrow" T.C.'s chopper, but again, a crossover would involve the "meshing" of the two shows' chemistry. Something I don't think could have been pulled off. Remember (again, I'm repeating myself, sorry) MSW and MPI were both sleuth shows, and at least in my opinion didn't work well at all in crossover. In my list of least favorite MPIs, The MSW crossover ranks pretty high. Even though the MPI part had great moments, it just seemed contrived. The Simon & Simon crossover just worked, and blended the two shows very well. Perhaps because both shows were very different and so much alike all at the same time. Then again, I'm biased. MPI and S&S were a Thursday night staple for me for many years.
"But Higgins, I can explain."