Higgins Flub.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

Higgins Flub.

#1 Post by N1095A »

I wasn't sure where to put this, or if it has been mentioned before. Higgins' name is Jonothan Quayle Higgins III, yet his father's name was Albert Stanley Higgins.
Last edited by N1095A on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by lutherhgillis »

N,

Nice spot but I do not believe you have to be named after the father to be considered a third. I am no expert however. Maybe someone else will know.

I have known some folks who were named after other ancestors not their father and carried a 2nd or 3rd in their name. This may have been incorrect however.

Also, I wonder if George Foreman followed the rules correctly. He named ALL seven of his sons George! Ego complex?

Nice post. I like the ones that make you think.

N1095A

#3 Post by N1095A »

I believe in the case of George, he named all his sons George so he could remember their name. He doesn't strike me as being the sharpest pencil in the box. :lol:

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by lutherhgillis »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Touche' my friend.

Well said.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#5 Post by golfmobile »

It is my understanding that "II" is used when the first one with that name did not survive to have his own "Jr." For example, Joseph Kennedy, the brother of JFK and RFK, died in WWII. Right now, I can't remember if he was a Jr. of his father, Joseph who was married to Rose. If not (say, different middle name), when Bobby Kennedy named his son "Joseph," that Joseph would have been II (or III if Bobby's brother Joe was a Jr.). (which I think he was, the more I think about it, because old Joe was pretty vain and I'm sure would have named his first son after himself. So Bobby's kid was Joseph P. Kennedy III, though not the son of JPK, Jr.)

So while III can be used as the third generation directly down from father to son through Sr. and Jr., II is usually a nephew of the original name. A III could be either. Say, for example, our Higgins' father, Albert Stanley, was the son of Jonathan Quayle Sr. and our Higgins had an older brother, Albert Stanley, Jr., but Jr. died before he could have a son (or is sterile or whatever, just no male heir), Albert Stanley would name HIS son III after his father and older brother.

Hope I explained that coherently.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#6 Post by Agatha »

Didn't George Foreman even name his girls George? I think I read that somewhere but it may not be true.

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

N1095A

#7 Post by N1095A »

Agatha wrote:Didn't George Foreman even name his girls George? I think I read that somewhere but it may not be true.

According to IMDB 2 of his 5 daughters are named George. Georgetta, and Freda George.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#8 Post by Agatha »

Well, there ARE female versions of George...like Georgetta. My mother-in-law was Georgia. And I had a co-leader when my daughter was a Girl Scout who was Georgianne. At least Freda only had to contend with a MIDDLE name that was George.

Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

N1095A

#9 Post by N1095A »

Agatha wrote:Well, there ARE female versions of George...like Georgetta. My mother-in-law was Georgia. And I had a co-leader when my daughter was a Girl Scout who was Georgianne. At least Freda only had to contend with a MIDDLE name that was George.

Small world Agatha! My mother's name was Georgia. My grandfather was George Calvin, and they named my mother Georgia Carol, I guess to give her the same initials. That play on names can go terribly wrong. When my mother remarried, her second husband's name was Raymond. My half-sister got tagged with the name Rayme.

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#10 Post by Jodykmg365 »

George Foreman just has a huge ego that's all. I bet it is a nightmare in that house when "George" is called out. :roll: