What to see about locations....

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

brunoffrance
Captain

What to see about locations....

#1 Post by brunoffrance »

Hi there,
I'm newbie here and... french so sorry for my not perfect queen english but I try to do the best...
At first I want to congratulate the author of this site for the incredible work and all the data about my favorite actor and series. Certainly too much data and the google map is really incredible too : congratulations to Rubber.
One of my dream becomes a reality, I'll go in vacation in HAWAII this next end of september and Magnum 's locations 'll be one of my great interests there !
So, even with the Rubber's map , what 'll be interesting to see as locations ? Of course, RM house, differents king kamehameha club....

If you can advice me,

Thank you by advance.
Very american 4 a french...

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#2 Post by rubber chicken »

Thanks for the compliments brunoffrance, and welcome to the site!

It's hard to make specific suggestions, there's so many Magnum P.I. location options it really depends on personal preference. And it also might depend on the places unrelated to Magnum P.I. that a person would want to see. For instance if you were wanting to see the famous surfing sites on the North Shore, you might be inclined to search out some Magnum locations near there. And you could check the google earth locations to find what's in that area.

If you'll excuse me for cutting and pasting, I'll post some suggestions I made here in the locations project thread.
I think a vacation based on visiting Magnum P.I. locations would be a great way to see Oahu. There are so many locations that are interesting in their own right. Being a Magnum P.I. fan would add to the experience but needn't be required. Going quickly around in google earth, I see a number of places of interest:

USS Arizona Memorial - Almost Home (3.11)
Kapena Falls - The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u (6.9)
Queen Emma Summer Palace - Forever in Time (8.5)
Punchbowl National Cemetery - The Last Page (2.20)
Oahu Cemetery (founded 1844) - Forever in Time (8.5) (and others)
Manoa Chinese Cemetery - China Doll (1.3)
The Honolulu Zoo - (a few episodes)
Tantalus Lookout - (a small number of episodes)
The Contemporary Museum Honolulu - the home of Diane & Diedre Dupres from Echoes of the Mind (5.1 & 5.2) and the home of Mitsu McWilliams from The Taking of Dick McWilliams (2.10) - (two separate former houses now on the same property)
Hanauma Bay - (a few episodes more or less)
Sandy Beach Park - (a number of episodes)
Makapuu Lighthouse area - (a number of episodes)
Sea Life Park - Old Acquaintance (6.3)
Kamehame Ridge - (a number of episodes)
New Town and Country Stables (if there's something going on) - (a number of episodes)
Pali Golf Course - (a few episodes)
Byodo-in-Temple, Valley of the Temples - (many episodes)
Kaaawa Valley - (many episodes)

There's many more depending on the personal preference. I wouldn't mind simply sitting for a while under the tree from Let Me Hear the Music (5.18 ). You could also take a drive through the wealthy Kahala neighborhood, and the Nuuanu Valley. Or go to the North Shore and see many locations. And of course there's too many locations in Waikiki and the downtown and state capital areas to mention.

All these places and more would be an excuse to drive around, explore and learn about Oahu. Just pick and choose.

brunoffrance
Captain

studing that now...

#3 Post by brunoffrance »

Hi rubber;
Thank you to have replied so quicly and sorry to ask a question already asked...
Always incredible what you've done with your map with so much précisions... i've shown your work to my familly this sunday midday and all are surprised by that... what a passion ans thank you to share it as you do.

I'm going to study your reply just after, in the next minutes, having reserved my flight tickets for Honolulu for september.

best regards from sunny but coldy France.

Bruno.
Very american 4 a french...