A new q from Swedish translator

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Katarina
Lieutenant Junior Grade

A new q from Swedish translator

#1 Post by Katarina »

Hello again,

this time I'm translating Ep "Let Me Hear the Music" and the country singer Lacy is annoying Magnum because he's constantly singing country music.

Magnum: Could we just take a break?

Lacy: Hey, break (or brake) ball don't have to fall on me.

I think he says that at least. The script is not reliable. Is it an idiom from the southern part of USA:-?

Tia, Katarina

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#2 Post by Agatha »

Hi, Katarina!

I've been interested in your translating project...maybe because my maternal grandmother was Swedish. Anyway, I decided to give your question a try.

In this scene Magnum is frustrated with Lacey. Sounds like he's spent a couple of days on this case...half day in Army Archives...a half day "here" and a whole day with Ms Jones (not one of Thomas's favorite people). This is tedious work and has been "accompanied" by Lacey singing country songs the whole time when Thomas is trying to think and needs Lacey to help by answering his questions. AND, in addition to that, Lacey has suggested that Thomas doesn't want to EARN his $500,000...which, after talking to Higgins, Thomas isn't really sure about because he's not sure that the songs exist. So Lacey can tell that Thomas is getting angry.

Sooooo. I think when Lacey says "Hey"...he means "OK". When he says "break"...he means that he'll stop playing. And when he says "ball don't have to fall on me"...he means that he understands what Thomas wants him to do. Of course he runs all of this together and with his accent, I can understand that it wouldn't make a lot of sense to you.

Actually, I haven't ever heard "ball don't have to fall on me" either. I'd be more likely to say "a building doesn't have to fall on me". So I'd be saying "I hear you" or "I get it" or "I understand what you're saying" as in I'm not so dumb that something extreme has to happen for me to understand what you're saying. So I think Lacey is telling Thomas not to be mad at him. He'll stop playing and singing and pay more attention to what they're trying to accomplish.

And, of course, the conversation they have right after that is when Thomas learns that Laurie's phone number had been disconnected when Lacey tried to call after the plane crash...those disconnected numbers are listed numerically so they're easy to find...and they find Laurie!

Hope this helps!! And good luck with your project!! Sounds interesting and fun...and I can certainly understand why you'd want to do it since I think this series is interesting and fun, too!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Katarina
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#3 Post by Katarina »

Again, thank you for the answer! You're very kind, and I've learnt something new today too.

Do you know from which part of Sweden your grandmother come? We live about 50 km outside of Stockholm on the countryside, only surrounded by fields and quite a few mooses.

Yes, I like the Magnum series although some episodes are of higher quality, like when Agatha thinks that Higgins proposes to her. That was brilliant acting on both their parts. I wish Higgins (Hillerman really) would have been given the opportunity to show other sides than just yelling "I demand to know...!". But then I've only seen Season 5.

Regards, Katarina

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#4 Post by Doc Ibold »

Katarina wrote:Again, thank you for the answer! You're very kind, and I've learnt something new today too.

Do you know from which part of Sweden your grandmother come? We live about 50 km outside of Stockholm on the countryside, only surrounded by fields and quite a few mooses.

Yes, I like the Magnum series although some episodes are of higher quality, like when Agatha thinks that Higgins proposes to her. That was brilliant acting on both their parts. I wish Higgins (Hillerman really) would have been given the opportunity to show other sides than just yelling "I demand to know...!". But then I've only seen Season 5.

Regards, Katarina

Ahhh, Katarina, You'll need to catch up on Season 7 and 4. Hillerman does some REALLY good work there. Also, catch the beginning of Season 8 - Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts. He puts 7 years of a relationship with Magnum in a facial expression... without saying a word.

Katarina
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#5 Post by Katarina »

I will take you up on that. Thank you for the tip!

Regards, Katarina

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#6 Post by Agatha »

Glad I was able to help, Katerina! I hope you're feeling that you'll always be able to find answers here!

Doc's right! You'll get to know all of the characters better as you watch the other seasons! There's a lot more to Higgins than "I demand to know..."

I'll have to ask my Mom about where in Sweden my grandmother is from. Will find a map and see if I can figure out where she was...and where you are!!

"Talk" to you later!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!