Magnum Wisdom

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#16 Post by N1095A »

only looking wrote:Me and my father watched Magnum Pi , simon and simon and all the cool 80's shows to long to list. My father was a hard working man who worked construction as well as farming a 160 acre farm in Kentucky..cattle, hay, tobbaco... alot of time and energy. Anyway he always kinda of reminding me of Tom Selleck, had brown hair and a mustache, wore those denim snap type shirt and always wore a cap, John Deere mind you and cheap avaitor sunglasses that he bought at a gas station.In 1996 he died and I was 24, not only were we father and son we also worked together, and when you work in the hot/cold weather conditions like we did, you bond even closer through respect and suffering together. The dialogue Magnum says about change at the first of the episode "CHANGES" really helped me through some tough times, sounds weird I know..but it did. I always wanted to tell the writers as well as Tom Selleck that.
From the episode page:
"I guess the earliest memory I have of my grandfather Sullivan is the kind of heart-to-heart talk we had while walking by the Rappahannock River when I was six years old. We used to hunt for wild asparagus down by the river to take home to my mom to cook for dinner. Anyway, on this particular walk my grandfather confided in me that probably the only thing you can count on in life is change .... that no matter how much you wanted things to stay the same they never did, and that change itself wasn't bad. It's just that, the transitions were sometimes tricky. Well, I'm not sure what he was talking about at the time. I was more interested in the asparagus than transition, but I never forgot it. And I guess if there is one thing that I could in some way pass on, it would be my grandfathers advice - don't be afraid of "transitions", they make you strong.
(short while later)
... Another thing my grandfather told me about change is that it doesn't always come along at a convenient time. In fact, it usually happens when you are right in the middle of doing something else, and that it's important to finish up whatever it is you are doing, even if it begins to feel like "dull routine". Because it's HOW you make the transitions that's as important as making them. At least, that's what I think he said."
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#17 Post by Agatha »

Thanks, N1095A!

And it's too, too true. Hard to remember that things happen for a reason and to trust that the Universe has our best interests at heart when we go through tricky transitions that come along when we're busy doing something else! Something that WE think is important! :)

I've got two discs to go in Season 7 and then I'll be into Season 8 and looking forward to "Transitions." Hmmmm. I wonder if I could talk my self into seeing them out of order....

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!