Aloha from Hawaii...

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Lily
Fleet Admiral

Aloha from Hawaii...

#1 Post by Lily »

Cant believe this as I couldnt log on, so sent you an e-mail James, for it only to be zapped into oblivion. Tried again here and was able to access the site. Grr!!

Anyway, this has to be short as I am in an internet cafe in Paia, Maui, a little hippy/surfing town where you expect to see the Mama's and Papa's come rolling along in an old VW.

Just wanted to let you know that while on Oahu I passed by the Estate and it looks as though some maintenance work might be going on. With the trade winds blowing up a gale here on the Islands, was able to see past the green blinds and between foliage at the front of the property and take some pictures. Looks like there is also mega gardening work taking place...wouldnt Higgins be pleased?! Once home and download my pictures, I can get a better look at what I saw and report.

Nothing new on the ocean side of the property but did see an old leather faced local...who better to ask about the concrete slab in the tidal pool? He told me that during the war there had been a gun mounted on the concrete slab which could be plausible, but when he said that the Shriners had built the tidal pool to keep sharks away from the small children who went in there, I decided we didnt have the right man!! To someone else who didnt belong to Magnum Mania, his stories might have seemed true!

James, am not sure if you have an old tax map of the Estate and surrounding properties, but I was able to get hold of one which shows that a storm drain easement runs right through the Estate property, so I am now sure that the concrete slab is the outlet. Will forward this on to you if you would like....just let me know?

While on Oahu we passed by both Walker and Marks estates and will report on those when I get home which is March 17th. Doubt whether I will get back on the net again until after I get back home. Have decided that a lap top is going on my wish list!

Watched Thin Ice here last night and I was really disappointed with the ending...perhaps because I didnt want it to end! It needs to be a weekly series.

Must go, so until I am back in the frigid Canadian weather again, take care everyone.
Lily

Tralfaz
Admiral

#2 Post by Tralfaz »

I just choked up a little bit...

My wife and I love Paia...

Mambo Cafe

The corner Fish House

Mana Foods

Ono Gelato

Sigh....

Hope you had fun!
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#3 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Sounds like a blast Lily! Enjoy the rest of your trip.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Aloha from Hawaii...

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hi Lily. Sounds like you had a great trip!
Lily wrote:...I was able to get hold of one which shows that a storm drain easement runs right through the Estate property, so I am now sure that the concrete slab is the outlet.

Thank you, thank you!! The mystery is finally solved!

It's kind of depressing that there is a storm drain outlet in an ancient Hawaiian turtle pond, however. They couldn't have put the outlet to the left or right of the tidal pool? Storm drain runoffs carry pollutants. With pollutants come bacteria. The tidal pool is semi-enclosed. I'm certainly no expert, but it doesn't seem like a good combination. I wouldn't swim in the tidal pool after a heavy storm, that's for sure!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#5 Post by Italian Ice »

Wow, can't wait to hear more Lily

Remember, if you rent a car, make sure it's a demi economy with a stereo cassette player that comes with a free Julio Iglesias tape! Don't forget the lemons! You may need them to ward off villains trying to break into the estate during your visit. Better than not having a gun I suppose.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Kimbosan
Captain

#6 Post by Kimbosan »

Hi Lily,
Sounds like you had a ball, I hope to do the same later this year and are you going to post the photos?

Kimbosan
Kimbosan

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Lily »

Aloha again everyone!

Have again stopped in Paia today, hence another visit to the internet cafe (my husband is golfing).

Tralfaz, have just come past the Fish House on the corner of Baldwin Avenue...it indeed serves the best fish on Maui! Quite a few new stores have opened since we were here last year. Paia really is an interesting place, thats for sure...something out of the hippy era, surfers and all! !

James, from memory...that storm drain easement, runs about 236' from the corner of the Shriners property. We were going back to pace it out, but in the end just didnt have enough time before we left for Maui. Once home, I will forward the paper on to you as it is rather interesting and you can see measurements. Also shows all the other properties which form the whole area which we would today call a subdivision. Even from very old times, this area was known as Pahonu.

Was so proud of my husband as the other day he was in a men's clothing store and he took a picture of a display which showed the red Magnum shirts for sale. The display had a picture showing TM and his Magnum's shirt which is now in the Smithsonian. At one time or another have seen about three people wearing the shirt here, and had to wonder if they also were Magnum fans.

Had best get going, so will check in again after we get back home next week, and fill you in on some other bits and pieces. Aloha!
Lily

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Steve »

James J. Walters wrote:It's kind of depressing that there is a storm drain outlet in an ancient Hawaiian turtle pond, however. They couldn't have put the outlet to the left or right of the tidal pool? Storm drain runoffs carry pollutants. With pollutants come bacteria. The tidal pool is semi-enclosed. I'm certainly no expert, but it doesn't seem like a good combination. I wouldn't swim in the tidal pool after a heavy storm, that's for sure!
First of all, thanks for the report Lilly, and James, you are correct, it is depressing and even though I know it is a storm drain outlet, I am still calling it The Poop Stoop until someone comes up with another story. I was hoping it would just turnout to be something to do with the Turtles, even if it was a spot to filet them, or whatever it is you do to a Turtle.........

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Frodoleader »

"I was hoping it would just turnout to be something to do with the Turtles, even if it was a spot to filet them, or whatever it is you do to a Turtle.........[/quote]

Shine their shells with Turtle Wax?

(I'm sorry, I couldn't resist!) :lol:
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Carmen
MPI

#10 Post by Carmen »

Guess they might like that better than to be turned into little pieces :wink:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#11 Post by N1095A »

Frodoleader wrote:"I was hoping it would just turnout to be something to do with the Turtles, even if it was a spot to filet them, or whatever it is you do to a Turtle.........
Shine their shells with Turtle Wax?

(I'm sorry, I couldn't resist!) :lol:[/quote]

:lol: :lol: TURTLE WAX! :lol: :lol:

It would be interesting to know when the tidal pool was built. I'm guessing it predates the estate. Also when the openings in the east and south walls were made. You'd think if it was built to keep turtles in and sharks out there wouldn't be huge openings like that.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#12 Post by rubber chicken »

Concerning the tidal pool, it was made hundreds of years ago - "ancient" in Hawaiian terms. It's actual name is Pahonu, or Pahonu Turtle Pond but that's somewhat redundant since Pahonu means Turtle or Sea Turtle. Maybe Pahonu Pond is the best title but people refer to it as Pahonu Turtle Pond anyway. The Anderson estate itself is named Pahonu because of the enclosure. I'd guess the openings were created in the early 1930s when the estate was made to allow the owner's boats access to the newly built boat house. But it could have been before that since there were people living in the area before the estate was built. The walls were rebuilt in the 1960s. Before that the stones making up the walls had spread out since they had last served their purpose and may have been beneath the water entirely.

More in the post from January of last year.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#13 Post by N1095A »

Wow! Thanks RC, I don't know how I missed your origonal post on the subject as the tidal pool itself was always of interest to me. You really know how to research.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#14 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I somehow missed that is well. Here's a thread where a bunch of us try to guess. I actually guess that, but there is also another version to what it is.

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... ight=#9431

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

Steve wrote:First of all, thanks for the report Lilly, and James, you are correct, it is depressing and even though I know it is a storm drain outlet, I am still calling it The Poop Stoop until someone comes up with another story.
LOL Steve! A "Poop Stoop" for giants, perhaps? ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!