Magnum visual references on the Thin Ice movie.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

GMT Master
Lieutenant Commander

Magnum visual references on the Thin Ice movie.

#1 Post by GMT Master »

I noticed a couple of visual references on the Jesse Stone Thin Ice movie last night. I saw the first movie a few years back but I must admit for one reason or another I missed the others. I do think I saw the second or third one in the series but I'm not sure which. Anyway, I noticed the Rolex GMT Master on TS's wrist and he wore a subdued hat with a small Navy Seal insignia embroidered on it. I don't know if these were in the other movies but they were obvious clues for a Magnum fan. I just wondered if anyone else noticed.
GMT Master

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#2 Post by N1095A »

I didn't see Thin Ice, but noticed in the trailers, and in previous Jesse Stone movies that he wears TM's watch. Too bad we couldn't get him to wear the bracelet and ring in the movies. They would be a nice inside reference for MPI fans. I am delighted however just to have him wear the watch.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#3 Post by Shermy »

The scene where he was wearing shades and talking on a payphone struck me as being very Magnum-esque. Not that I'm suggesting it was a conscious attempt to provide any kind of callback to the series.

It was more the realization that- if he had wanted to and ratings had permitted- Selleck could have easily played Magnum for thirty years.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Steve »

Shermy wrote:The scene where he was wearing shades and talking on a payphone struck me as being very Magnum-esque. Not that I'm suggesting it was a conscious attempt to provide any kind of callback to the series.

It was more the realization that- if he had wanted to and ratings had permitted- Selleck could have easily played Magnum for thirty years.
I actually got the same message, Shermy. I found it funny that Jesse Stone has to rely on public telephones and doesn't have a cell phone........

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Miss Q »

With a cell phone you cant hide....
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#6 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I watched it off of my Tivo last night and noticed these things as well. I thought the hat was pretty cool. I wouldn't mind having one of those.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by lutherhgillis »

I feel like the Stone movies and MPI are TS being himself. Other times like AJ Cooper, Runaway, Lance White, et al he is acting. He is not as good at acting as when he plays himself. Hence the magic behind the TM character...

Comments?

revruss
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#8 Post by revruss »

Shermy wrote:It was more the realization that- if he had wanted to and ratings had permitted- Selleck could have easily played Magnum for thirty years.
I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this, but I was watching a TS interview on CBS Sunday Morning (this past Sunday). I've noticed this before, but TS still looked incredibly good while appearing on Friends. After that he seemed much heavier and line-creased. I suppose much of it is age-related but, to me, the difference is dramatic.

SUNSHINE43
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#9 Post by SUNSHINE43 »

Unfortunately he is getting older, but aren't we all? I was 14 when I first noticed him on tv, and on Saturday I turned 44!!!! I can't believe I have been following his career for 30 years!!!!

SUNSHINE43
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#10 Post by SUNSHINE43 »

I should also add that I love his kind eyes, and his voice is soothing and calming to me. Age will never change that.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#11 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I hope that I look that good at his age. Maybe he just seems older because he doesn't get "work" done like a lot of the Hollywood people.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#12 Post by Shermy »

revruss wrote:
Shermy wrote:It was more the realization that- if he had wanted to and ratings had permitted- Selleck could have easily played Magnum for thirty years.
I've noticed this before, but TS still looked incredibly good while appearing on Friends. After that he seemed much heavier and line-creased. I suppose much of it is age-related but, to me, the difference is dramatic.
No, I don't mean to suggest that he hasn't visibly aged- just that the Magnum 'presence' is still there. You believe this guy can still punch out the bad guys and attract a lot of beautiful women.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#13 Post by N1095A »

Kind of the same thing with me. I was 10 when I first saw Magnum, P.I., and I just turned 39. Yes TM was younger than me for most of the series run :lol: , I think Tom looks great. He in no way looks 64. Maybe mid 50s. But he always did look younger than his actual age. Except for the last two seasons of MPI, there he did look early 40s. Point is, some guys just have it, others don't. My wife is 12 years older than I am, and people always assume I'm the older one.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

kudubuck
Lieutenant

#14 Post by kudubuck »

I noticed the watch in Stone Cold. When you look at that watch for so many years, you get to know it. I also noticed it in Night Passage when Jesse is in the hotel room.

Another Magnum-ish moment is in Death in Paradise when Jesse is talking to Carol Ginest about Portia Roberts in high school.

I had to work and missed Thin Ice so I'll have to wait until it comes out on DVD and add it to the collecteion.
I'm gonna make it, Dad.

TankTop44
Commander

#15 Post by TankTop44 »

To me it is the same as watching Jim Rockford age, sad, but we are all on the same road.