Magnum P.I. vs. Miami Vice - The Ultimate Battle

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

MaximRecoil wrote:I hated Miami Vice. I hated it like no other. Maybe it's not the worst show I ever watched, but it was the worst show I ever had to watch. My brother liked that show, and since he was 4 years older than me, he called the shots when it came to the TV dial.

This show was style over substance; and it was "style" that I found annoying. I've always been irritated with people who try to be trendy.

The characters were bland, and scummy drug dealers got entirely too much airtime. None of the sets were comfortable — who would want to hang out in the police station listening to the boring conversations between that guy with the pockmarked face who looked like a villian, and the two cops who thought they were awesome? Or in yet another drug dealer's warehouse? If you wouldn't want to hang out with them in real life, why would you want to virtually hang out with them in front of your TV set every week?

Magnum PI nailed the comfortable thing like no other show. All of the main characters were people that seemed fun to hang out with; and the sets were places that felt comfortable to virtually be in (the guest house especially).

Magnum PI was the best show ever, and not only by a slight margin either. It nailed everything that makes a show enjoyable to watch.
LOL! I concur MaximRecoil! :)

The only thing I really liked about Miami Vice was the excellent in-episode scores from Jan Hammer. That guy is one heck of a composer.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

BWheelz54
Admiral

Re: Magnum P.I. vs. Miami Vice - The Ultimate Battle

#32 Post by BWheelz54 »

Like comparing apples to oranges. I enjoy both shows, but I don't think they really go together well at all. I prefer MPI by far over Miami Vice - not saying I don't enjoy Vice, but I love MPI. I think the reason is because MPI seemed to me to be a show about the value of friendship and loyalty. The friends on that show worked to help, and to heal, one another. That gave MPI a heart that I love. Miami Vice, on the other, is in no way a show about "healing." It really takes a very pessimistic view of our world, and I would say even of the American Dream (while MPI was the positive opposite). Does that make sense? I can watch a Vice show one time, and then I'm done with it. An MPI show, however, calls me back for more, because, honestly, laughing a bit at Thomas, Higgie-Baby, Rick or TC can pick you up if you're having a hard day. Miami Vice certainly doesn't do anything like that.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by No need to know! »

Magnum P.I and Miami Vice are the two best shows ever.

But it feels like Magnum P.I lived on longer cause Miami Vice got stuck in beeing cool and stylish. It worked superb for two seasons. Those forst two seasons was not only cool in style and music but also delivered many great stories.

Magnum P.I had more of a warm feel to it and lived high on the friendship between the main characters. But it also had something that almost no other shows had or have. A superb mix between action,comedy,thriller and romance.

Friendship
Magnum wins even though i quite liked the some episodes in Miami Vice that had some great buddy conversations, especielly between Zito & Switek. They should have focused some more of them, and it was a shame that Zito was killed off.

Music
Well here wins Miami Vice in my book. It had a better theme and had some really superb music in the episodes. Magnum got better later on with from season 7 and onwards. The biggest difference was of course Jan Hammer. That man was a genius.

Main characters
Here Magnum wins slightly. T.C and Rick just edge out Zito and Switek. Gina and Trudy(had a crush on her) easily beats Carol and Maggie Pool. But Higgins edge out Castillo and Magnum woops Crockett and Tubbs.

Hairy chest
Selleck edges out Thomas by a hair or two.

Oahu edges out Miami. But it´s really close.

Pilot movie
I always liked Don´t eat the snow. But i actually think Brother´s keeper was better.

Guest stars
It´s a close one but Miami Vice had Bruce Willis, Ed O´neill, Frank Zappa and those three edges out Carol Burnett and Frank Sinatra in my book.

Homes
Well the guesthouse of Magnum quite easy wins over the sailingboat of Crockett.

Pets
An alligator with a name of Elvis was cool but can´t compete with Zeus and Apollo.

6-3 win to Magnum P.I
Last edited by No need to know! on Thu May 15, 2014 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Onion´s extra?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Steve »

I was watching a Miami Vice marathon on The Esquire channel over the weekend and found it funny how in many episodes the characters would leap behind a bush, fabric covered furniture or other flimsy prop for protection from a hail of bullets. The editing in some episodes was pretty bad as well...................

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by No need to know! »

Steve wrote:I was watching a Miami Vice marathon on The Esquire channel over the weekend and found it funny how in many episodes the characters would leap behind a bush, fabric covered furniture or other flimsy prop for protection from a hail of bullets. The editing in some episodes was pretty bad as well...................
The biggest flub of all time is also in Miami Vice.
Crocketts black Daytona Spyder(no real Ferrari by the way) gets blown up by a stingermissile. Six episodes later he drives it again even though we know that he now drives a white Testarossa.
Well a flub because they changed the running order of two episodes. When i watch it on dvd i usually change the running order between those two :lol:

Again though. I loved the first two seasons of Miami Vice, and the third was quite good. Fourth is pretty weak, and fifth BAD.
Onion´s extra?

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Sisophous »

I absolutely hated Miami vice because of the two main characters, the supremely arrogant Don Johnson who had the sophistication of a tree stump......"hey pal"..., and tough talking hotshot Philip Michael Thomas, I just couldn't stand them. Every time I would go over to my girlfriends house, her parents were watching it on their very large projection TV in the living room. It's as if I couldn't escape that show. Every magazine cover seemed to feature these two highly annoying actors for years.

I think Miami Vice tried to copy the mega hit, Scarface (1983) and I always hated imitators. A lot of tough talk, white suits, pull out your gun and shoot from start to finish.

And, as others point out, Magnum P.I. season 6 was the worst. It likely turned off viewers who flocked over to Miami Vice.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by No need to know! »

Sisophous wrote:I absolutely hated Miami vice because of the two main characters, the supremely arrogant Don Johnson who had the sophistication of a tree stump......"hey pal"..., and tough talking hotshot Philip Michael Thomas, I just couldn't stand them. Every time I would go over to my girlfriends house, her parents were watching it on their very large projection TV in the living room. It's as if I couldn't escape that show. Every magazine cover seemed to feature these two highly annoying actors for years.

I think Miami Vice tried to copy the mega hit, Scarface (1983) and I always hated imitators. A lot of tough talk, white suits, pull out your gun and shoot from start to finish.

And, as others point out, Magnum P.I. season 6 was the worst. It likely turned off viewers who flocked over to Miami Vice.
Well don´t agree on that Miami Vice copied Scarface. Maybe they were influenced on it since it was about drug lords in Miami but thats about it.
I mean i see a lot more of the movie Thief with James Caan in Miami Vice. It was directed by Michael Mann himself in 1981. Easily Manns best movie, and Caans favourite movie starring himself.
The music and style was created there before Scarface.

Most movies or series are inspired of earlier work. Doesn´t mean that it´s a copycat. If so most series today are total shite, but in fact they are so you might have a point. But Miami Vice beats every new show i have seen.
Onion´s extra?

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Stelth »

I don't think it's any contest. I used to like and watch Miami Vice semi-regularly since it was filmed a county away from where I live. However, I don't think it holds up. Also, my tolerance for Don Johnson evaporated and I now refuse to watch anything he's in. To me, Magnum is timeless and a much better show.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by 308GUY »

Stelth wrote:I don't think it's any contest. I used to like and watch Miami Vice semi-regularly since it was filmed a county away from where I live. However, I don't think it holds up. Also, my tolerance for Don Johnson evaporated and I now refuse to watch anything he's in. To me, Magnum is timeless and a much better show.

"Here-here!" :higgins:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Steve »

No need to know! wrote:
Sisophous wrote: I mean i see a lot more of the movie Thief with James Caan in Miami Vice. It was directed by Michael Mann himself in 1981. Easily Manns best movie, and Caans favourite movie starring himself.
The music and style was created there before Scarface.
What a gret movie, one of my all time favorites! James Caan, Tuesday Weld... and.... James Belushi, Willie Nelson, Robert Prosky, William Peterson and the late great Dennis Farina's first movie roles. Not to mention the haunting music of Tangerine Dream.............