First Post: Magnum p.i. - TV schedule

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Neil the Brit
Ensign

First Post: Magnum p.i. - TV schedule

#1 Post by Neil the Brit »

Hi Guys!

It's my first time so go easy on me. :lol:

I'm from the UK and wondered whether anyone had any info on when Magnum is going to be on TV next over here.

We have'nt had a re-run in the UK for years now not even on any of the satellite channels.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#2 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Welcome aboard Neil! Youwill love this site. James has done a great job with it, and there are some very knowledgeable posters. Enjoy watching the reruns, and maybe we can get them back on this side of the pond with the Sleuth Channel.

A P Leyland
Captain

#3 Post by A P Leyland »

Hi Neil

Magnum hasn't really had a decent re-run schedule in our country for a while. There were no re-runs in the UK through all of the 90's before Channel 5 picked it up for a complete re-screening in 2001. They ran every episodes at 11am in the morning. Granada Plus then picked up the show but only screened episodes from the first 4 seasons (although they did show Operation: Silent Night on Christmas Day) but since they went defunct - nothing.

You'd think in this multi-channel environment the show would get some love (it feels like The A-Team and Airwolf are on constantly) but no joy. I got bored of waiting and bought the DVD's.

Any

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Actually the series was shown by 5 in 2002-3. :)

I recoreded each episode as it was broadcast as back then there weren't any DVD boxsets (even though some of the episodes were edited and two skipped completely).

The series was run on Men & Motors for a while, but I think that channel is no more (it's certainly not on freeview these days).

I'm surprised Bravo haven't picked it up (even though I wouldn't be able to see it).

I did write to Five a couple of years ago asking if they had any plans to reshow the series, but sadly they said their rights to show it have expired and they don't plan to in the near future :(

Could always try writing to them though - maybe if they get enough interest, they'll consider it.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

A P Leyland
Captain

#5 Post by A P Leyland »

I didn't know FIVE skipped two episodes. Which two were they? They showed an episode of STARSKY & HUTCH in their rerun of that show that the BBC banned for years!

Andy

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#6 Post by Doc Ibold »

A P Leyland wrote:I didn't know FIVE skipped two episodes. Which two were they? They showed an episode of STARSKY & HUTCH in their rerun of that show that the BBC banned for years!

Andy
Crud... I used to know the answer to this. I KNOW one is Billy Joe Bob... and I think the other might be Blind Justice or something like that.

And Neil, don't be scared to ask anything on here. We're a cultured community!

Just, whatever you do, do NOT mention peanuts. Trust me, you'll thank me for this.

(I'm kidding, welcome aboard!)

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

They skipped 'Billy Joe Bob' (season two) and 'Out of Sync' (season seven).

I think 'Billy Joe Bob' was skipped because of the hanging scene near the end, which couldn't be edited around without causing a big hole in the story (not that that stopped them on a couple of other occasions), although it does also feature nunchuks, which were banned in the UK for years, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm re-watching the series in order on DVD and haven't got to 'Out of Sync' yet, so no theories on why that one was skipped yet.

The banned episode of 'Starsky & Hutch' was 'The Fix' (season one), although they did edit it down, and removed one scene, of Hutch being forcefully injected with drugs, completely.

Several other S&H episodes (which were previously very seldom aired or skipped completely in repeat runs by the BBC) were very heavily edited by Five.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#8 Post by N1095A »

Jay-Firestorm wrote: "...I think 'Billy Joe Bob' was skipped because of the hanging scene near the end, which couldn't be edited around without causing a big hole in the story (not that that stopped them on a couple of other occasions), although it does also feature nunchuks..."
Wow! and I thought censors were tough on this side of the pond.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#9 Post by Doc Ibold »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:They skipped 'Billy Joe Bob' (season two) and 'Out of Sync' (season seven).

I think 'Billy Joe Bob' was skipped because of the hanging scene near the end, which couldn't be edited around without causing a big hole in the story (not that that stopped them on a couple of other occasions), although it does also feature nunchuks, which were banned in the UK for years, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm re-watching the series in order on DVD and haven't got to 'Out of Sync' yet, so no theories on why that one was skipped yet.

The banned episode of 'Starsky & Hutch' was 'The Fix' (season one), although they did edit it down, and removed one scene, of Hutch being forcefully injected with drugs, completely.

Several other S&H episodes (which were previously very seldom aired or skipped completely in repeat runs by the BBC) were very heavily edited by Five.
Ahhh, you're right Jay. Out of Sync probably of the "adult film" angle. I had always thought that Billy Joe Bob was censored b/c of the prostitution references... but you know your censors better than I!

:lol:

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#10 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I never realized they censor that much over there.

Carmen
MPI

#11 Post by Carmen »

Think about watching Magnum without any Vietnam War scenes - that was how they showed it on German TV before another network took over, resyncronized some scenes and added the missing ones - Thank God!!
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:I never realized they censor that much over there.
If it's before the watershed, scenes with knives, or excessive violence or suchlike, are often edited.

What really annoys me is, one showing of a particular episode might have something edited, then another showing of it will have offended sequence left it, or vice versa. Very contradictory.

Kind of like Higgins' "bloody"s - some days on Five they would edit them out, yet other days leave them in!
JAY FIRESTORM

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#13 Post by Higgy_baby »

What or when is the watershed Jay?

The last time I was in Scotland (2001) I thought there was no censorship in the UK. I remember some local show on the hotel tele, with a Scottish punk rocker who beat the crap out of his girlfriend, terrorized the neighbourhood, and swore every second word.

Canada is much more relaxed than the US (we have the FWord cooking show with the words in and the Sopranos were on regular broadcast TV not HBO). However I was under the impression that in the UK anything goes.

As for Germany I empathize with Carmen. I heard they finally got Hogan's heroes after 40 years, but the flags are all edited. Even the rock band KISS has to change their logo in Germany because the SS in KISS looks too much like lighting bolts. But editing MPI. That's the worst I've heard yet.
Of course this changes nothing between us. I still expect you to respect the rules and regulations pertaining to your stay on the estate. There will be no wild parties, no outragous liberties, no unauthorized overnight guests...

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#14 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Interesting. It sounds like they have no rhyme or reason, or the censors just skim material and don't view the whole thing.

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Higgy_baby wrote:What or when is the watershed Jay?
Sorry, I should have explained. The watershed is the time (9pm) afterwhich television broadcasters can show stronger material, with more swearing / sex / violence, etc.
It was traditionally a time in which young kids were in bed by, so they weren't exposed to it, but in recent years some have come to question just how effective it is in today's society.

The show you saw with the swearing, etc., was probably shown after 9 o'clock.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking - I have been collecting various TV shows for MANY years, and there is little logic to the pattern they follow.
JAY FIRESTORM