Larry Manetti's book?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Dervish
Rear Admiral

Larry Manetti's book?

#1 Post by Dervish »

It appears Larry Manetti wrote a book about his experiences on the show:

http://www.amazon.com/Aloha-Magnum-Larr ... 805&sr=8-1

70 bucks for a used book? Wow! :shock:

Is it really out of print?

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#2 Post by golfmobile »

Hey, Dervish,

This has been discussed several times on this site. Check out the "Larry Manetti" thread in "Cast and Crew." Several people here have the book.

Manetti Thread

I think I paid around $25 for the book on eBay, and I think I overpaid. It's not really a very good book, IN MY OPINION. I bought it to read while on a flight to Hawaii. I hoped for more inside info on TS and the show, but it was mostly about LM and his (to me, uninteresting) escapades -- well, he did write the book. But I didn't find it to offer as many insights into the show as, for example, Rick Romer's blog does.

So take this post with a grain of salt. You'll learn more about the show, just following the posts here, than you ever will from that book.

JMO!!!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Dervish
Rear Admiral

#3 Post by Dervish »

Thanks for the link, golfmobile!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#4 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Try some used bookstores if you really want to read it. Those are the places where you find the steals.

AlohaSpirit
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#5 Post by AlohaSpirit »

I checked out a copy at my local library. If your library doesn't have it they may be able to get it for you on an inter-library loan.
She shouldn't be punished for her passion.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by lutherhgillis »

Don't waste your money. Manetti seems like a cool guy but the book was a bore according to a friend who read it. BTW, Tim Allen's book is also not so much according to the same friend. Apparently he spent a great amount of time talking about his schlong... No kidding!

It would have been cool to have a book about the show and the details of how epis are done and how the actors worked together.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#7 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Tim Allen had a couple of books. The first was little better than the second but neither was great.

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#8 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Wow, looks like Larry Manetti had written this a :shock: long time ago.

TSM
Ensign

PDF of the book...

#9 Post by TSM »

Hi! Why none of the many who owns the book has not done some scans ? I live in Europe and it's almost impossible to get the book here.. Moreover it costs a lot!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#10 Post by golfmobile »

We've discussed it. We can't scan and upload it as that would be a copyright violation, without permission, and I doubt Larry Manetti or his publisher would give us written permission to post it somewhere on the internet where it doesn't have to be purchased.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

I've heard about it, and heard that it's a bit dull, so have never tracked one down.

Although I like Manetti, it just doesn't have the same appeal as if the book was by Selleck, or Hillerman (or even Mosely).

Maybe a series companion book would be nice; but shows like 'The Dukes of Hazzard' and 'Knight Rider' have had books covering them, but (particularly with the 'Dukes' one) are very much point-of-view by the writer, and contain a number of mistakes.

(I've actually considered writing a companion book about my other favourite show (ahem - no clues in my signature), but seeing how rarely I even get to update my site, I can't see it happening in the near future!!)

Oh well, we can always make do with those terrible old Magnum annuals!! :lol:
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

VM02
Rear Admiral

#12 Post by VM02 »

I have this book. IMHO its not really fair to call it a "Bore" - though it would be to non magnum fans. I guess if your interested enough in Magnum to frequent this site, it would be worth a read and not dull.

I also agree that I would rather have had a book by Selleck or Hillerman; By most accounts Selleck has no interest in looking back. I could see Hillerman doing one, but perhaps no publisher would back it? Although he is a masterful actor, MPI was his only huge hit - and that in a supporting role.

It is a quick read but it contains some interesting insights into Larry and some anecdotes about the series. It contains an episode guide by Larry with a comment or two about each episode, and also recipes by Larry, who by most accounts is a really good cook.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#13 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

The cheapest Amazon has one right ow is $75. I still scour the used book store everytime I go. I'd like to find a cheap copy somewhere and we could pass it around. It wouldn't take much to read it and ship it to the next person. I'll keep looking!

TSM
Ensign

...copyright...

#14 Post by TSM »

Ok..it's a copyright violation to scan the entire book, but anly 5-6 pages, the most interesting one.. it's not a violation. that's for sure. Does this sounds better?

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: ...copyright...

#15 Post by Doc Ibold »

TSM wrote:Ok..it's a copyright violation to scan the entire book, but anly 5-6 pages, the most interesting one.. it's not a violation. that's for sure. Does this sounds better?
Mmmmmm, I wouldn't bet on it. Besides, a site called "Magnum Mania" would be one of the first places I'd look. The only way you could MAYBE get away with it if it was some sort of research paper and you cited a few passages from it.

(And yes, there have been research papers based on Magnum PI)

:wink: