Magnum Jumped the Shark ...discuss...

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Did MPI Jump the Shark in Seasons 7 & 8?

YES
5%
NO
86%
YES but I wish they had not...
2%
YES but I will vote NO because I refuse to admit it!
7%

Total votes: 42

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#16 Post by ConchRepublican »

James J. Walters wrote:Ted McGinley was never in a MPI episode, so, no, it didn't "jump the shark"! ;)
Hey there tough guy . . . Scrubs kicks ass! :twisted: :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Carmen
MPI

#17 Post by Carmen »

:? is Ted and John C. the same person :?:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#18 Post by ConchRepublican »

Carmen wrote::? is Ted and John C. the same person :?:
Whoopsie! (whoopsie, what the hell is wrong with me?!?!?) :oops:

I saw McGinley and reacted. My mistake, carry on! :D
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by lutherhgillis »

Yea, it jumped a little but not much. MPI wasn't trying to hang onto a sinking ship. It was still a strong show when it stopped production. I admit that they make some huge blunders with characters and story lines. They could have handled seasons 6,7,& 8 much much better.

I enjoyed the show very much. I have tried to watch other detective shows 20 years after their runs and even Rockford and Miami Vice are unwatchable. Only MPI holds enough interest for me to continue to watch.

Viva la Costa de Rosa, Viva Albert Stanley Higgins...

arri
Lieutenant Commander

#20 Post by arri »

Steve wrote:I don't think it ever Jumped The Shark....My definition of JTS is when a show goes to obvious lengths and off the path to gain an audience back, or gain a new audience. Many shows would do something like adding a cute (but nauseating) kid to the mix that was a sure kiss of death. Magnum, pi did it right by having the Lilly character be a mystery, then a revelation, then a heartbreak, and finally ending the series with a reunion....Thats how you do it in my book..........

Yeah...Lilly was not jumping...it wan't like cousin Oliver in Brady Bunch....it was a mystery and she didn't join the show for ratings...she only made a few episodes

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#21 Post by N1095A »

I believe in all the episodes that have been mentioned as nearly jumpig, you have to consider that jumping the shark was a move tv shows made to stave off declining ratings. MPI never needed to resort to this tactic, therefore it never jumped. Remember there's a huge difference between stunts for ratings, and doing it as part of a valid story line.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by lutherhgillis »

I don't think they ever suffered from ratings problems except for the fact that MPI had been CBS's hit show and the Cosby Show on NBC took over Thursday night prompting CBS to move Magnum. The series of moves of time slot did hurt ratings a little. I agree with you that MPI did not do any of the crazy things mentioned as ratings stunts to stay alive. So maybe they didn't jump the hammerhead they just upped their level of quirkiness to the outer limits...

Luth

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#23 Post by Shermy »

When Fonzie strapped a life vest over his leather jacket...then proceeded to jump a shark while on water skis...audiences realized that Happy Days had strayed far from its original premise and intent. It was no longer a nostalgic look back at life in the 1950's, but another tired sitcom that had run out of ideas.

Magnum never jumped, simply because it never strayed from what the series had been about all along. Yes, the final seasons ranged from the supernatural to the absurd to serious looks at war and its casualties...but each of those elements had been present from the very beginning.

Viewers accepted that Magnum's spirit could leave a coma, because he had already experienced similar events in episodes like The Woman On The Beach or Rapture. He'd also solved an entire case during a lucid dream about the 1930's, and had trusted his intuition from day one.

Even a weaker season like the sixth never attempted to change the show's fundamental dynamic. It always remained focused on the same four friends, and the friendship and adventures they shared.

The original "Jump The Shark" website (apparently, now defunct) used to have a section devoted to tv shows that had "Never Jumped". Magnum was one of about 20 shows that was granted this distinction by the site's visitors.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#24 Post by J.J. Walters »

As usual, well said Shermy! By the way, welcome back man! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Steve »

Indeed.....Shermy is right on with his observations, and while we are on the subject, my feelings are Happy Days, which was a great show in the beginning and coming on the heels of the very succesfull movie, American Graffiti, lost me when it went to a "live audience" format and tried to make a pop culture icon out of Fonzie........It had to be said.........

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#26 Post by Shermy »

Thanks for the welcome (re-welcome?), James. :)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by lutherhgillis »

So, now that we all agree that MPI jumped in season 8, did Murder She Wrote jump by doing the oh so awful crossover with MPI?

I cannot figure this one. MPI had nothing to gain by doing this dreadful crossover. MSW must have been trying to stretch its audience. I never followed MSW. Does anyone remember what was going on at the time?

Gracias.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Seaver41 »

Magnum PI is generally considered a show that did NOT jump the shark. There was a site dedicated to this label (jumptheshark.com).......I think it's defunct now.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Seaver41 »

lol......didn't see the comments a few posts above my last that also mentioend the website.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by lutherhgillis »

I repeat, Did Murder Whe Wrote jump by doing the awful MPI crossover?

I think maybe they did. They were trying to build the ratings for MSW and there was no real match between the two shows.