Magnum Jumped the Shark ...discuss...

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Did MPI Jump the Shark in Seasons 7 & 8?

YES
5%
NO
86%
YES but I wish they had not...
2%
YES but I will vote NO because I refuse to admit it!
7%

Total votes: 42

Kwanzaa
Lieutenant

Magnum Jumped the Shark ...discuss...

#1 Post by Kwanzaa »

I believe MPI jumped the shark with the whole 'death, no it was a coma and he helped Michelle telepathically to avoid the killers' nonsense. Seasons 7 & 8, while handled pretty well, were an example of Jumping the Shark IMHO. Bringing in the daughter also counts, as does re-upping, and TC getting back together with the ex, and Rick marrying a hooker... PREDICTABLE!

I love the show and I know I am treading on dangerous ground but let's be honest. Our favorite show jumped!

Enjoy.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#2 Post by N1095A »

I vote no for one simple reason. Plausibility. On any other show this would have been hoaky, and jumping the shark. MPI did it in such a way to make it believable with a reasonal amount of suspension of disbelief. By your definition, MPI would have jumped with "Mac's Back", but again, they pulled it off. Sorry, No jump.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Kwanzaa
Lieutenant

#3 Post by Kwanzaa »

Oh yea, Mac/Jim Bonnick/Father Jim/Joe Travis is another fine example of a little skipping over the great white! Thanks.

Anyone else?

Carmen
MPI

#4 Post by Carmen »

After rereading the "Ranking of the seasons"thread I guess this discussion is pretty unnecessary
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#5 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I believe hinting Magnum Jumped the Shark is blasphemy!

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#6 Post by Tom_Magnum »

What? Magnum never jumped the shark!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#7 Post by Doc Ibold »

My take is that Magnum never really "jumped the shark", but if you HAD to define a point, it would probably be season 6. After that, Season 7 got things pretty much back on track....

Lily, TC's family, and Rick marrying Cleo, I wouldn't classify as jumping the shark... but rather that they had some loose ends to tie up.

Now, if they had TC and his son going on a fishing trip and getting marooned, or Higgins having some crazy party, then yes... it would have jumped the shark.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#8 Post by ConchRepublican »

Kwanzaa wrote:Oh yea, Mac/Jim Bonnick/Father Jim/Joe Travis is another fine example of a little skipping over the great white! Thanks.

Anyone else?
That VERY easily could have been, maybe even should have been, a jump the shark moment, but it shows the quality of the show and the writers that it wasn't.

Plus, I think the circumstances had something to do with it. Jeff didn't leave because of a sweeps week plot device, he was moving on to another show which would give him more screetime (money) while working with the same producer. They worked his death into the plot extremely well. When they had the chance to get him back, they found a way to add him that worked. It wasn't great, but it was good to see him back and part of the quirks of the "Magnum-verse".
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#9 Post by Tom_Magnum »

I agree with Doc Ibold. He has summed up all the points I basically wanted to say.

arri
Lieutenant Commander

#10 Post by arri »

I don't think the death/comma was jumping at all. In the context of true jumping...I didn't get that. I do, however, think Mac returning is very close
I liked the character of Jim, but I wished they didn't use the same actor (MacKay) for the roles. It was just too close for comfort and Magnum's interaction with Jim was strange. McKayplayed both characters very similiar. It wasn't as bad as the professor being able to build a fully functional radio out of bamboo and coconuts...yet not being able to patch the SS minow...

"Limbo" Mac was supposedly TM's great friend and TM was not very warm to seeing him...Mac constantly eating and stuff...a little hookey and borderline jumping if we are honest.

Loved the show, one of my favorites...but....

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#11 Post by ConchRepublican »

arri wrote:"Limbo" Mac was supposedly TM's great friend and TM was not very warm to seeing him...Mac constantly eating and stuff...a little hookey and borderline jumping if we are honest.

Loved the show, one of my favorites...but....
Don't go there . . . :evil:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Frodoleader »

I don't think it really jumped with the Mac/Bonnick character. It made perfect sense to me when they brought Jeff McKay back, after "Gold Monkey" was cancelled. So for me, there was no eye-rolling to indicate a "shark jump".
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Steve »

I don't think it ever Jumped The Shark....My definition of JTS is when a show goes to obvious lengths and off the path to gain an audience back, or gain a new audience. Many shows would do something like adding a cute (but nauseating) kid to the mix that was a sure kiss of death. Magnum, pi did it right by having the Lilly character be a mystery, then a revelation, then a heartbreak, and finally ending the series with a reunion....Thats how you do it in my book..........

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#14 Post by SelleckLover »

Sorry! I can't say Magnum EVER jumped the shark.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ted McGinley was never in a MPI episode, so, no, it didn't "jump the shark"! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!