Magnum Injury Chart - testing/feedback

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Waltstasz
Admiral

Magnum Injury Chart - testing/feedback

#1 Post by Waltstasz »

Okay, I had mentioned working on this before and I finally have a testable version of the Magnum Injury Chart ready. I'd like some feedback from the Magnum community on this to see if there is anything to improve. There are a few more things to do before I would call this done, and then I'll work with James to see about getting it loaded somewhere on the site if he wants.

Click the below link to load the page. You can select the season you want to see or 'all seasons' to see every injury (Yes, Magnum got hurt a lot. All seasons makes him look like he has the measles. :shock:) Hover your cursor over a dot and a message will pop up to tell you what the injury is and what episode it occurred in.

http://home.chattanooga.net/~mac/magnum ... uries.html

A couple of things to note:
1) Right now Magnum does not have a back or feet. :D That is in progress. The dots in the upper left of the page represent injuries to these locations. I'll move them once I have a back and feet to put them on.
2) The final version will show the season and episode when you select 'all seasons' and hover over an injury. This is not in place yet.
3) I think it would be nice to be able to link to the episode guide, but I'll have to figure out a practical and functional way to do this.
4) This is more for fun than anything else. I tried to do the best I could to be accurate, but the injury markers will not always be 100% precise, nor would everyone always agree where they should be to begin with.

You can post any feedback in this thread. I can't promise that I'll be able to make every change, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Thanks...
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

Artie Canoe
Captain

#2 Post by Artie Canoe »

Really cool, I like what you've done with the interactive dots
"I forgot my loincloth and spear." - Luther H. Gillis

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#3 Post by rubber chicken »

Very nice documentation!

FYI - I couldn't view the list in Safari.

It would be some work, but I think having screenshots from the show of each injury would be a great addition. And likely pretty funny too, viewing photo after photo of all his injuries.

Another thought: instead of dots, different symbols could be used. For instance a small bullet for a gunshot wound, and a small fist for being punched. The symbols could also be larger or smaller to represent the seriousness of the injury. This could be hard to fit in some areas like his head where he's had so many injuries.

Just a few suggestions, again, great job documenting all his varied injuries. In real life, Magnum would practically be crippled after eight years of being hurt so much.

Carmen
MPI

#4 Post by Carmen »

Hey, great work!! One question: Why does it say "Punched in face by goons" when I hit the dot on the knee in season 5 ? :wink:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

Good work Waltstasz!

I'm always impressed by the efforts people put into hobbies they love. Between this and Rubber Chicken's location guide, I feel like such a freeloading slacker!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey Walt!, nice work! I know that must have taken a lot of time and effort to track down all of the injuries. Impressive! :)

You might want to make the injury identifiers a little bit bigger. I like RC's idea of using a different icon for each type of injury (punch, gun shot, etc.). If you do this, you may need to make the body a little bigger, as well.

I'll see if I can find a good full picture of TM, one that has feet. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

PhatCat
Admiral

#7 Post by PhatCat »

Cool idea.

One thing I noticed, it looks like (thankfully) TM was never kicked in the nuts. Plenty of other places though. Yikes.

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#8 Post by Italian Ice »

This is very innovative! I would have never thought of this and I can't wait until it's finished. Are you counting bumps and bruises as injuries too?

What about when one of Mac's girls from "Love for Sale Boat" kept hitting Thomas in the face with the frozen peas? :)
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#9 Post by IslandHopper »

PhatCat wrote:Cool idea.

One thing I noticed, it looks like (thankfully) TM was never kicked in the nuts.
Hilarious PhatCat. LMAO! :lol:

Great job Walt.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#10 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Very nice work!

DarCA
Rear Admiral

#11 Post by DarCA »

Great job - thanks for all the hard work that went into this. It's amazing to see how many times TM was injured.

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#12 Post by Italian Ice »

We should do one for Rick too. The descriptions would be hilarious.

"Got hit in the "stomach" by a line drive from a softball"
LOL
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#13 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

TM was a MASH unit. It's amazing his whole body isn't one big scar!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Magnum sure took a pounding, but Joe Mannix had it even worse. He was shot 17 times and knocked unconscious another 55 times during the show's eight-year run! :shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Waltstasz
Admiral

#15 Post by Waltstasz »

Thanks guys. It was fun to put together. At the very least it was a good excuse to watch all the episodes again. :D Thanks for the feedback too. Let me know if you find any other weird stuff. I'll fix the season 5/Ep.18 leg thing. It just needs to be removed.

rubber chicken, thanks for letting me know. I'm not sure I'll be able to get this to work in Safari, but I'll give it a shot. It should be okay in IE or Firefox.

Italian Ice, I did mark some of the 'sillier' injuries too as long as I could place them. Like Magnum cutting his neck while shaving with a toaster for a mirror or zipping his finger up in a bag. :lol: In the 'Love for Sale Boat' I watched that scene again and again trying to figure out what she was hitting him with. I ended up assuming that it was a bag of colored popcorn. For me its the biggest mystery after Is Higgins really Robin and What the heck is that thing in the tidal pool for. :mrgreen: I'm open to suggestions/debate, but for now it is labeled as popcorn. :wink:

I had considered the idea of using little icons or symbols instead of dots, but decided not to because some injuries seemed too obscure to take the time to build an icon for. I'll revisit this idea and see if I can get something to work well. Maybe I'll just build icons for the more common injuries like being punched, kicked or shot and leave the others as dots.

I also like the idea of screen caps, but I'm not sure I'd be able to put that together in any sort of reasonable timeframe. Maybe we could all contribute injury caps to a new screen caps section and I could link everything. We'd also need to defer to James in regards to size considerations with something like this. Thoughts?
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?