Wikipedia Project

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

Wikipedia Project

#1 Post by Italian Ice »

I had mentioned to James a little while back if it was possible to include the full plot details on wikipedia, just like they do on many other shows. It's been done with a lot of the current shows, but even shows that aired way before (Star Trek: TOS - for example). I'm not sure how it's done, it would probably take awhile, and a dedicated group of people, but it would be a nice addition. I'm just wondering what anybody else thinks....

Most descriptions include a picture, and a full plot description of the episode. It would be a good way for anyone to look up the full detail of an episode, as that's not included anywhere. Some Remington Steele fans are looking into that on Facebook apparently, so why not us?

Thoughts?
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Sam »

Hi Italian Ice..Are you looking for an MPI episode guide???

http://magnum-mania.com/Episodes/Episodes.html

Italian Ice

#3 Post by Italian Ice »

Oh no, i'm familiar with that eposide guide. I mean a "full plot" review. For example, here's the one for Star Trek's best episode - City on the Edge or Forever. The MM Episode guide gives a brief description, this gives you a full run down. Heck even South Park has done this!

I admit, this episode is VERY detailed here, but that's cause it's the best one and it got a good reception, etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_City_o ... of_Forever
Last edited by Italian Ice on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sam,

Yeah, but a Wikipedia page (for each episode).... with an emphasis on a detailed plot summary (something this site doesn't have). It would look something like this.

Italian Ice,

I'm sorry man. You asked me twice about this and it totally slipped my mind. I like the idea! It would be a monumental undertaking however, as we are talking about 162 episodes (ok, 148 if you combine the two-parters into one). I thought about adding a detailed plot summary for the episode guide here at one time, but the task was too daunting for me to face.

If anyone is interested, all you need is a Wikipedia account (free). Guidelines for creating new pages can be found here. I won't be able to contribute much as I barely (and I mean BARELY) have enough time to keep up with all the updates on this site.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Sam »

Ok guys...I think it would be quicker to watch the show than to read all of that. :lol:

Italian Ice

#6 Post by Italian Ice »

Ya, I can imagine. Probably would take awhile, unless a team is put together or something. If it doesn't happen, then we just have this site to be on :)

Carmen
MPI

#7 Post by Carmen »

Ok guys...I think it would be quicker to watch the show than to read all of that

...and more fun
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Italian Ice

#8 Post by Italian Ice »

Well, perhaps in a few years I'll take this one. Right now there's a lot going on. I'll put it on the backburner for now unless someone ever steps in.

Carmen, someone can watch an episode and type at the same time :)

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Seaver41 »

I am positive the Wiki page for Magnum was at one time a lot more detailed than it is now......it seems to have shrunk over the past 1-2 years........the background info on the show and characters was more extensive. It seems that as the movie news went stale, so did the interest in maintaining a more extensive Magnum page.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#10 Post by Doc Ibold »

Why would you go to a Magnum Wikipedia page, when you could come here?!!!

I'm sure you could get half the answers on any topic in a quarter of the time that it would take you to read it there- due to our intrepid forumites!

We've got scenery, maps, insider views, roaming action figures, trivia, games, links, history, witty banter, sports scores, debates, polls, opinions, pictures, Tom Selleck/Magnum worship, rap songs about Higgins (yeah...I'll give myself a little pat on the back for that attempt)....and just general tribal knowledge... and who knows what else will pop up, should you just ask!

Sorry I.I., but I think we've got the Magnum paradise right here!

I would probably be the first to volunteer for such an undertaking, but even I think it would be waaaayyyyyy too arduous...plus the fact that any person off the street could go in and alter the hard work...like Higgins being a conjoined twin or some nonsense.

Italian Ice

#11 Post by Italian Ice »

Ha ha. I know Doc, we got everything we need right here.

I only thought of this cause other shows have done it, many shows way before Magnum and after, so I just figured, "why not us"? At least there are links on there to this site already, that's great.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#12 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

If they link to here the person will be able to find out all they want to know and then some. The knowledge of the people on this board really amazes me, and this is, without a doubt, the best resource there is for Magnum fans.

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Lily »

With all the information which is contained on this wonderful site here, I cant see just why anyone would want to set something up on Wikipedia.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thanks for the props guys. I appreciate it! I've put more work into this site than I ever imagined I would. It's been a very rewarding experience and I've learned so much.
Doc Ibold wrote:We've got scenery, maps, insider views, roaming action figures, trivia, games, links, history, witty banter, sports scores, debates, polls, opinions, pictures, Tom Selleck/Magnum worship, rap songs about Higgins (yeah...I'll give myself a little pat on the back for that attempt)....and just general tribal knowledge... and who knows what else will pop up, should you just ask!
Doc! LOL! :)

.... but yet, we don't have a detailed plot summary for each episode. :(

I would love to see some MPI Wiki pages. I'm a big fan of Wikipedia.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!