Ranking of the Seasons

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

Ranking of the Seasons

#1 Post by Italian Ice »

How do you rank the Seasons. Based on watching most of the episodes again over the holidays (after quite a few years of not seeing them and catching up on those I've NEVER seen). How do you rank them and why?

Here is my list, but I'll just list them....

tie between 2,3 and 4
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Carmen
MPI

#2 Post by Carmen »

Can`t - simply too many good episodes in each season
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#4 Post by Doc Ibold »

MyGod!
Lieutenant Commander

#5 Post by MyGod! »

Quite interesting how much consensus thus far.
I'll have to wait until I re-watch some seasons, beacuse it was a couple years ago. I'm currently watching season 7, and I have to admit I'm surprised at how good a lot of them are. Only a few stinkers thus far. I think I'm a bit partial to earlier seasons though, just because they capture more of the laid-back, responsibility shunning Magnum.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Seaver41 »

MyGod! wrote:Quite interesting how much consensus thus far.
I'll have to wait until I re-watch some seasons, beacuse it was a couple years ago. I'm currently watching season 7, and I have to admit I'm surprised at how good a lot of them are. Only a few stinkers thus far. I think I'm a bit partial to earlier seasons though, just because they capture more of the laid-back, responsibility shunning Magnum.
perfectly understandable and logical...........it was the beginning that captured us all.........and kept our interest........so it had to be damn good. I'd say 1-3 built the show........everything was still going up.......intrigue, mystery, drama, adventure, character development were all being cultivated.

Season 7 has to rank up there because it shook us out of the comfort zone and forced us to re-examine Magnum for its' greatness.....and it still managed to reach new heights, IMO......something very tough to do for an established series of 6 seasons......they truly not only reached the bar, but tore it down in season 7

in summary......season 7 was the ultimate payoff for the time, emotion, devotion, and loyalty we invested in the show and characters.

I will say.....even though season 8 was seen at the time as simply cashing in.........some of those episodes were so well done that they legitimized the season.

geez.....20 years later and this series still has a grip on me.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#7 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I think my list would be along the lines of what Doc has.

burroughsmvp
Commander

#8 Post by burroughsmvp »

I'm in agreement on Season 7.

Here are the season averages from my episode guide, on a scale of 1-4 for each episode:

7: 2.4
8: 2.3
4: 2.1
3: 2.0
5: 1.9
6: 1.9
2: 1.7
1: 1.6

Kwanzaa
Lieutenant

#9 Post by Kwanzaa »

In my opinion, seasons 7 & 8 were the worst seasons. The show became a characature of itself with an obvious "how do we wrap this thing up so Selleck can go and do movies" feel. (I will admit there were some great epis in seasons 7 & 8, however)

I liked the seasons in this order:

Mahalo :lol:

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Seaver41 »

Kwanzaa wrote:In my opinion, seasons 7 & 8 were the worst seasons. The show became a characature of itself with an obvious "how do we wrap this thing up so Selleck can go and do movies" feel. (I will admit there were some great epis in seasons 7 & 8, however)

I liked the seasons in this order:

Mahalo :lol:
I get that sentiment.........it was definitely the feel at the time the seasons aired........Magnum was on fumes.......but even then season 7 was recognized for the improved writing..........but yeah, I get the whole forced feeling that it gave......

thing is......20 years later i have much deeper appreciation for the writing of those final 2 years.

arri
Lieutenant Commander

#11 Post by arri »

Recently, I was sick and rented seasons 7, 3, 8, and 2. I liked it in that order.

I was amazed at how cheesey some of the shows were and how some really stood the test of time. It's like Bellisario's nephew was given a writer's job and they let him ooze some real cheese in the series, while others were awesome.

Did anyone else feel that way? Like some episodes were incredible, "Sunrise" and other's were just goofy and hard to watch

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by lutherhgillis »

I somewhat agree with arri. For me, it is different now than when I watched the show during its first run. I was younger and much more naive then. I enjoyed the shear fun of Hawaii, the Ferrari, the friendship, and the adventure. Now, I find myself looking for the excitement and intrigue of the plot. Needless to say, I am left a little dissappointed nowdays. Having said that, I do not watch any other show that finished its run more than 20 years ago... I guess that is a vote for the quality of the Magnum show!

Viva la Magnum!

MyGod!
Lieutenant Commander

#13 Post by MyGod! »

Still not ready to rank the seasons without a thorough re-watch, but I'm almost doen with season 8 and I must say it's a major disappointment. They are trying way too hard to set up all the changes that occur in Resolutions. Just not done in an organic way. With only a few exceptions, I've thought Season 8 has been subpar.