Trip to Oahu

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Artie Canoe
Captain

Trip to Oahu

#1 Post by Artie Canoe »

I'm now back from my trip to Hawaii. I stayed at Kailua beach and it was a great time all around. I did see some Magnum locations - the main one being the estate and swimming around back in the tide pool. That was great. Also saw Island Hoppers pier (the only site I remembered to take pictures of) and on Rubber Chicken's guide I noticed I ran across "Ferrari Crosses Bridge." Also recognized some buildings in Waikiki and of course Honolulu International. What a great Magnum experience it was. :D
"I forgot my loincloth and spear." - Luther H. Gillis

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#2 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Glad you had a good time Artie. Post some pictures when you get a chance.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#3 Post by N1095A »

Welcome back from "Bananna Land" as your namesake put it. Glad you had a great time. My fear is that if I ever get there, I won't come back. I'd have to be dragged onto the plane kicking and screaming. :lol:
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#4 Post by Italian Ice »

Artie you're making me jealous. I should send some Italian Ice after you :)

Glad you had fun. I will do that in the next few years for sure. it's tough for Canadians to travel to the US right now, the Canadian dollar isn't good at the moment.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Steve »

You have to give us your reflections on going to The Estate and the Tidal Pool, Arite. James describes it as sensory overload going there, and I have not found any other words that describes the experience so well.........

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Frodoleader »

Steve wrote:You have to give us your reflections on going to The Estate and the Tidal Pool, Arite. James describes it as sensory overload going there, and I have not found any other words that describes the experience so well.........
Thanks Artie! Glad it was a good trip. Please post the pic when you have a chance.

The sensory overload is an interesting observation. I experienced something akin to this once, when I took a tour of Elvis' Graceland, back about 10 years ago. I rented a walkman to listen to as I went from room to room (at least the ones you were allowed to enter). It was like an out of body experience for me. If I am ever lucky enoug to visit Hawai'i and the estate/tidal pool, I'll bet I'll experience this again...
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Seaver41 »

I now feel like I screwed up and missed out on something........I was in Hawaii in 2005 and never thought about Magnum sites.............I might have even come across or been to some but I never took stock of it.

I'm pretty sure Magnum was at Pearl for something at one point...........wasn't there a scene with Buck on the Missouri?

I spent some time at the North Shore as well. Anyone ever hear of the Turtle Bay Resort? Nice place, but I don't remember that at all being involved.

DAMN.........after finding this site I'm now kicking myself...........lol

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

Seaver, just think, you strolled the same grounds as the Soviet track team ("From Moscow to Maui") and Carrie Reardon and her posse ("Mixed Doubles")... and you didn't even know it. ;) Back then the resort was known as the Kuilima Hyatt Resort Hotel.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Seaver41 »

James J. Walters wrote:Seaver, just think, you strolled the same grounds as the Soviet track team ("From Moscow to Maui") and Carrie Reardon and her posse ("Mixed Doubles")... and you didn't even know it. ;) Back then the resort was known as the Kuilima Hyatt Resort Hotel.
are you kidding me? that is hilarious................NOW I have to go back and find those episodes to watch CLOSELY................

thanks for the info........I'm literally laughing as I type.

Artie Canoe
Captain

#10 Post by Artie Canoe »

Steve wrote:You have to give us your reflections on going to The Estate and the Tidal Pool, Arite. James describes it as sensory overload going there, and I have not found any other words that describes the experience so well.........
Yes I do agree with that description. It was so amazing being there that I didn't even stay long, it felt almost too much to be there. Of course I wanted to go on the estate and everything but you can just barely see in with all the overgrowth. Saw the gate and back of the Guest House, walked along the wall from the pilot and it was just great overall.

The few pictures I managed that are Magnum related:

TC's Place

Lighthouse sometimes viewable in episodes

Island behind Robin's nest
"I forgot my loincloth and spear." - Luther H. Gillis

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#11 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Nice pics Artie! I'm envious looking at these shots.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

Nice pics Artie! Sounds like you had a great trip!
Seaver41 wrote:are you kidding me? that is hilarious................NOW I have to go back and find those episodes to watch CLOSELY................

thanks for the info........I'm literally laughing as I type.
Unfortunately, you don't really get a good look at the resort in either episode. You see one of the pools and some of the "cottages" (or "villas", whatever you call them) in "From Moscow to Maui" and in "Mixed Doubles" you mostly just see the tennis courts, with a few other close-in shots mixed in. This shot here is about the only look you get at the main hotel:

Maybe this rings a bell?

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Seaver41 »

definitely the first pic..............took a surfing lesson in that cove outlined by the rocks........literally you could see the sea turtles in the water......had one swim right under my board........