Anything in the show you wanted/didn't want to see?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

Re: Anything in the show you wanted/didn't want to see?

#16 Post by IslandHopper »

Italian Ice wrote:One thing I wish MPI did...
The one thing I wish MPI did in the final episode, or at least after the "All For One" episode was for Magnum, Rick and TC to present Higgins with a team ring (Magnum had Dan Cook‘s and Trusseau’s/LaBulle‘s team ring, or better yet, have one custom made). I think this would have worked well in the final episode since they all were going their separate ways. Magnum was going back in the Navy as a new father, Rick was getting married and TC was likely going back to his wife and children.

I understand that the team ring originates from their 'Nam days, but in the course of 8 years Higgins truly became a part of their team. He fought along side of them (All For One), took a beating with them (Resolutions (2), came to their rescue and was rescued by them. The camaraderie that grew between Higgins, Magnum, Rick and TC was my favorite part of the show. There were many of these moments between them beginning with the Pilot episode where we see Rick and TC insult Higgins in Rick’s Café, and then in the next scene rush out to protect him from the hit-man. Magnum saves Higgins’ life in the following scene. Higgins was always there for them too. He definitely deserved a team ring, and it would have been a nice gesture to symbolize their friendship/camaraderie no matter how many miles separated all of them.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Steve »

IslandHopper wrote:
The one thing I wish MPI did in the final episode, or at least after the "All For One" episode was for Magnum, Rick and TC to present Higgins with a team ring
What a brilliant idea. If that scene would have indeed taken place, I'm pretty sure that would have been one of those "having a catch" moments ala Field of Dreams...... The outcome being that
a wet salty substance might just have secreted from my eyes.........

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Miss Q »

I want to know what really happened after the robbery at the KKK when Higgins, Rick and TC were forced to undress.....

Its left wide open....
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#19 Post by Doc Ibold »

IslandHopper wrote:
The one thing I wish MPI did in the final episode, or at least after the "All For One" episode was for Magnum, Rick and TC to present Higgins with a team ring (Magnum had Dan Cook‘s and Trusseau’s/LaBulle‘s team ring, or better yet, have one custom made). I think this would have worked well in the final episode since they all were going their separate ways. Magnum was going back in the Navy as a new father, Rick was getting married and TC was likely going back to his wife and children.

I understand that the team ring originates from their 'Nam days, but in the course of 8 years Higgins truly became a part of their team. He fought along side of them (All For One), took a beating with them (Resolutions (2), came to their rescue and was rescued by them. The camaraderie that grew between Higgins, Magnum, Rick and TC was my favorite part of the show. There were many of these moments between them beginning with the Pilot episode where we see Rick and TC insult Higgins in Rick’s Café, and then in the next scene rush out to protect him from the hit-man. Magnum saves Higgins’ life in the following scene. Higgins was always there for them too. He definitely deserved a team ring, and it would have been a nice gesture to symbolize their friendship/camaraderie no matter how many miles separated all of them.
TOTALLY AGREE!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#20 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

The team ring would have been a wonderful gesture. Michelle had a necklace at least Higgins could've been given a team ring!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Seaver41 »

the lack of retread villains helped keep this show from being a formula series. The development of the character relationships (as someone posted) kept it unique as well.

Ask yourselves..............why do you love the show? I bet the core reasons are ones that you can't find in most shows.

To answer the thread question.........I don't know that I would change much except maybe some explanations and closure on certain topics/episodes.....questions that I don't feel would tarnish the integrity of the show.
....for example.........the ensuing days/weeks of aftermath from Ivan. I like the way it ended, but a subsequent episode to see how he basically escaped murder charges and a diplomatic/political incident. I'm sure we can all conjure up theories....but that is something I wished the show resolved.

Resolutions could've/should've been done better.

stever
Lieutenant Commander

#22 Post by stever »

I would have liked to have actually seen Orson Welles as Robin Masters in an episode rather than just hearing his voice and with all the references to 5-0, it would have been super cool if they could have talked Jack Lord into a guest star role at some point.
SR

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#23 Post by Jodykmg365 »

I wanted to see Robin Masters!!!! He was mentioned so many times that I really wanted to see him. I know about the whole Robin/Higgins mess, but I really don't think it would have been so bad had the producers just let Robin be a character that showed himself from time to time.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#24 Post by Agatha »

Giving Higgins a team ring is a GREAT idea, Islandhopper!! Maybe they can work that into the REUNION movie!!

I also agree with what folks are saying about using actors more than once and that it's more noticeable because we watch the episodes many times. I think the thing that keeps me from feeling weird about it is that, in most case, they're SO different in each role that I don't even think of them as the same actor! It may be that I'm just slow...I do tend to get caught up in the plot over and over and over...but when I "find" an actor that I've seen before it's usually such a surprise to me that I just think it's another fun thing about this series.

For example...and you all probably already know this...there was a BIG light bulb over my head when I realized that Ed Kanfur (The Last Page) was also Phil Lewis (Mr. White Death). Guess it doesn't take much to amuse me!!

:)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#25 Post by J.J. Walters »

Love all of these ideas guys!

A full episode involving Robin Masters in person would have to be my pick, especially if it involved Orson Welles! An international flavored episode, maybe one involving Robin being kidnapped from his chalet in Innsbruck with Octopussy-era James Bond (Roger Moore) and Maud Adams somehow being worked into the script. ;)

Or a full episode involving Kika (the great local actor/comedian James Grant Benton). Kika is in big trouble with Artie Keanu and his cronies and he needs Magnum's help!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Seaver41 »

the Ring idea truly is a great one................that's one they missed.

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by MPS »

Giving a Team Ring to Higgins is a fabulous idea. It would have brought the Magnum - Higgins story full circle.
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#28 Post by Italian Ice »

One thing that was never mentioned again....Soo Ling! Higgens half sister.

It would have been interesting to see "her" make an appearance. Imagine Higgins playing that part! If Rick can wear makeup, why not him?
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#29 Post by Italian Ice »

I also think everyone would have wanted to see the whole Robin Masters thing resolved as well. Hope they will do that when (or if) the movie comes out....

TV movies are better than Hollywood
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Lt. Cook
Commander

#30 Post by Lt. Cook »

I would have loved a comedic episode involving a reunion of the entire Higgins family. Although, I can imagine the difficulty of pulling that off in the 80's. Now it'd be a piece of cake.

Also a flashback episode showing TM's activities immediately after graduating from the academy. Why did he go seals instead of some cushier route?