The "Get Wet" cap

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: The "Get Wet" cap

#61 Post by KENJI »

Thanks for the pics K.B.!
Too bad about the screw up!!
I would request another one done free of charge!!! The graphics and hat look great, but that's cleary not what you ordered and he should honor that. Let us know what happens.
In the meantime, the upside down D hat could be a real collectors item :wink: ....only one made! Maybe you can buy a Maui Mystery Book off Amazon with your profits. :wink: :wink:
Thanks for sharing.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by 308GUY »

Second KENJI's post and motion.

If you explained to him AND showed him pictures of what you wanted, he should make you another hat done correctly, at no charge to you.

Your part was good, the interpretation was a little "off", :lol:

Still looks great, and I don't imagine too many people will even know the size and orientation of the side emblems is not what was intended.

Let us know if/when you get it straightened out and if you will be making any available to the rest of us, for a price of course, including a profit to you for making it possible.

Guess we should also be advised of any progress on the re-issue by Downing?

At any rate, nice job, looks good! :magnum:
Last edited by 308GUY on Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Kwai Bridge
Captain

#63 Post by Kwai Bridge »

KENJI wrote:In the meantime, the upside down D hat could be a real collectors item :wink: ....only one made! Maybe you can buy a Maui Mystery Book off Amazon with your profits. :wink: :wink:
That would indeed be awesome! :D
KENJI wrote:I would request another one done free of charge!!! The graphics and hat look great, but that's cleary not what you ordered and he should honor that. Let us know what happens.
I'll get to him as soon as possible for re-issue. It probably won't be free of charge but I don't care, I might even try to find another facility which can do it for me.
308GUY wrote:Second KENJI's post and motion.

If you explained to him AND showed him pictures of what you wanted, he should make you another hat done correctly, at no charge to you.
Yep, I both explained and shown pictures of how it should look like.
308GUY wrote:Let us know if/when you get it straightened out and if you will be making any available to the rest of us, for a price of course, including a profit to you for making it possible.
If it won't get me in any trouble, of course I'll be making some for my fellow Magnum fans! :wink:
308GUY wrote:Guess we should also be advised of any progress on the re-issue by Downing?
I guess we should, but I'm still not convinced it's happening. It didn't happen four years ago, they didn't reply to any mail I sent, lets hope Sam's info is correct!

At any rate, thank you both for liking it although it didn't turn out how it should have! Since I'm perfectionist I'll try to have it made properly as fast as possible! :wink:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by 308GUY »

KB: Sounds good.

In addition to turning the wing logo right side up, are you planning to have them use pink thread on just the wing logo?

Can't tell for sure if the one you show is pink or not. Not a big deal, and I'm not real sure I'd want it done in pink, but it looks to me like the "original" was done that way. Maybe somebody who knows for sure can confirm or refute it.

Kwai Bridge
Captain

#65 Post by Kwai Bridge »

Yes, it is pink in the show and I used the pink thread, but it looks white due to poor lightning. :)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#66 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I really love your initiative on this dude. It looks great. Even better would be to find the strange type of cap in the original. It's more like long strips of material from front to back, rather than the normal ball caps that come to a point at the top. Still, it looks great. One of the things I like about the get wet cap is that it's so...underground Magnum. Everybody throws on the Tigers cap, but only a hard-core Magnum fan would notice this one!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by steveadl »

I thought I posted in this thread already but it must have been another one.

About 2yrs back a fan created a short run of the Downing Hawaii caps and sold them on ebay, I think I paid about $20 from memory. He was in South America somewhere.

I was very happy with the job he did,looks incredibly like the images and the logos on this thread. He matched the colouring of the flying D pretty well too. I think about he only thing that isn't 100% (though up for debate based on screen grabs) is the cursive "Get Wet" whilst matched perfectly, could perhaps have been fractionally thicker lines.

I'm going to take a couple snap shots and try to figure out how to post them here....

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by steveadl »

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by 308GUY »

steveadl:

That DOES look really good!

From what's been posted thus far, I'm guessing the one KB is working on will be just as good or better.

With today's digitizing software, it's not hard to turn a graphics file into a stitch file that very accurately portrays the original. The last software I saw, didn't require much "human" intervention. You just show the design to the computer and a few minutes later, it spits out a stitch file ready to be loaded into the machines and put on whatever you choose.

Probably an over simplified description, but the technology has come a looong way from the days of having to hand digitize everything at 6 times the size you want it to end up!

Keeping an eye on the progress with this.

Kwai Bridge
Captain

#70 Post by Kwai Bridge »

Flying D's look good, but the logo is low resolution and not accurate one from here:
N1095A wrote:Image
Mine is correct since I drew it from here and it looks identical as seen below:
Kwai Bridge wrote:Image
Also:
Styles Bitchley wrote:Even better would be to find the strange type of cap in the original. It's more like long strips of material from front to back, rather than the normal ball caps that come to a point at the top.
Found it! It's called 5 panel cap, but I can't find any store in Europe which sells it. It appears that you can only get blanks on wholesales, not only one piece. And they ALL have those two metal pins on the sides where logo is supposed to be, haven't found a single one without it.

Image Image

EDIT: After hours of searching, I found the only one on the Internet without pins. But it seems I can't get it shipped to Europe.

"Otto International, Inc. is a wholesale supplier to embroiderers, screen printers, marketing specialty distributors and other resellers. We do not sell to individual consumers or end-users."
It can only be bought from this link here http://www.capbargain.com/133-1047.html and it's exclusive to USA residents. Anyone mind buying some? :| I have a friend in the States, I could ask her to buy some, then mail them to me, but that would probably take too long. Still, it's an option.

Once again, sorry for the lengthy post, but when I decide to do something then I put my all into it. I believe this is a good research. :wink: If I pull this off, I deserve the "Get Wet Hat Master" title! :lol: Just joking.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by Sam »

Hi KB,

I believe you are looking for a 4 panel cap.The one you show and want to order is a 5 panel and it DOES have the eyelets on top..
This looks like a better option.

http://www.chinatraderonline.com/Caps/L ... 553297.htm

Sam

Styles Bitchley

#72 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Sam wrote:Hi KB,

I believe you are looking for a 4 panel cap.The one you show and want to order is a 5 panel and it DOES have the eyelets on top..

Sam
Nice find Sam. That does look like the one.

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Kwai Bridge
Captain

#73 Post by Kwai Bridge »

Unfortunately, to be able to purchase them, you must own a company.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by Sam »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Sam wrote:Hi KB,

Sam
Nice find Sam. That does look like the one.

Hi Styles,

The hat is close.The paneling looks good and the 4 rows of stitching on the bill appear correct.

The big difference is the hat is fitted to 58cm =7 1/4..I left the link as a starting point for KB thinking they may carry the one size fits all hat.

Styles Bitchley

#75 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Sam wrote: Hi Styles,

The hat is close.The paneling looks good and the 4 rows of stitching on the bill appear correct.

The big difference is the hat is fitted to 58cm =7 1/4..I left the link as a starting point for KB thinking they may carry the one size fits all hat.
It also looks like it may be a bit of a heavier material. Magnum's looks like a light weight fabric meant for sports.

- J.Q.H.