40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#466 Post by eagle »

Just finished the ep. I enjoy this one, but it's so sad. I'm going to just leave it at that.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#467 Post by Chris109 »

eagle wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:23 am Just finished the ep. I enjoy this one, but it's so sad. I'm going to just leave it at that.
I like this episode also. To me, the sad theme was not about the surfer babe. It was really about Nick. He played the part well. It has always ripped apart my insides (esp as I've gotten older) about people are sent off to war for no good reason and then they are just forgotten. Makes me even more angry when I see commercials for Wounded Warriors and they need to ask for donations cause the government just gives them the, "Thank you. Now don't bother us again."

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#468 Post by SeamanWolfe »

A little behind this week, finally watched this episode. Really liked it (might be the first time Ivan and I were aligned this season). I have a soft spot for episodes that I have not seen a million times, and this episode fit the bill. I was genuinely surprised when it was the younger cop that killed he. I also liked the scene where Rick and TC left Magnum alone with Gary. Not sure if Magnum ever referenced being hospitalized for PTSD before or after.

Finally the Vietnam vet was pretty well portrayed (could have been very unbelievable or even disrespectful especially in early 80s tv)..

In total the episode is #2 for the season. Really feels like the season is hitting it's stride.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#469 Post by T.Q. »

November 26th, 1981

[CBS 8:00] Magnum, P.I.
Mad Buck Gibson
Season 2, episode 8

With Vera Miles (Joan Gibson), Darren McGavin (Mad Buck Gibson), Wally Landford (Jim), Jo Pruden (Dr. Jewell).

The ex-wife of infamous adventure author and thrill-seeker 'Mad' Buck Gibson hires Magnum to protect her ex-husband who, despite his age, continues to live his life to the fullest as a hell-raiser
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#470 Post by T.Q. »

Where is everyone?

Wake up. :P

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#471 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:47 pm Where is everyone?

Guilty! I’ve been absent this last week so I’m going to comment on last weeks episode and this. My favorite part of Wave Goodbye is Vic Morrow’s performance and the same is true for Darren McGavin in Mad Buck Gibson.

One thing I recall about Wave Goodbye was that it was rerun on CBS in primetime several years after it’s original air date. I was in late high school, and I recall one night seeing it aired randomly at the 8:00 or 9:00 hour on the network. I think it was during the winter holiday season of 1987 or 88, but I distinctly remember stumbling upon it and watching it on the TV in my bedroom. I also remember thinking how odd that an episode from several years earlier was being shown. It may even have been Christmas Eve. I was also very much aware then that Vic Morrow had died a few years earlier on the set of The Twilight Zone Movie, not long after the episode.

I know Mad Buck Gibson is not high on many people’s lists but I always enjoy Darren McGavin and did so here. There’s not even a real case but I enjoy the character interactions immensely, especially Buck and TC. There are also a few unique views of the estate shown in this episode.
Last edited by Pahonu on Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

walken1974
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#472 Post by walken1974 »

I really enjoy this episode. I believe Darren Mcgavin shot this episode before The Movie Christmas story. ( to me the Magnum PI Episodes don’t seem as aged as the old Hawaii 5-0 episodes and I sometimes forget how old the series is ) I am a big fan of John Wayne westerns and just realized that Vera Miles was in the classic movie The Searchers. ( I know she is more known for Psycho) Anyone figure out the recipe for “Bazookas” that Mad Buck orders ? I googled the drink and many of the recipes mention southern comfort ,crime de banana and half and half or cream. Mad Buck tells TC he thinks he uncovered the recipe and mentions two rums. Would love to try a Mad Buck bazooka if someone knows the recipe.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#473 Post by Chris109 »

T.Q. wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:47 pm Where is everyone?

Sorry, but I don't drink Stout. Let alone anything else that does not have my favorite ingredient: high fructose corn syrup.

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#474 Post by SeamanWolfe »

I enjoyed this episode. It is funny to imagine people gathering around the tv on Thanksgiving night 1981 "Is that kolchak the night stalker?" - "I thought he was a pi - what is the mystery?"

From a rating standpoint I would put it middle of the pack for this season, no "Dead Man's Channel" but solid.

From my extensive research - this episode aired about a year before a Christmas Story was filmed (January 1983 - in Cleveland - a far cry from Hawaii). I thought McGavin was good in this episode. I did not see Ralphie's dad (the old man) - unless I looked away that voice is unmistakable.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#475 Post by T.Q. »

December 3rd, 1981

[CBS 8:00] Magnum, P.I.
The Taking Of Dick McWilliams
Season 2, episode 9

W: Diane Frolov D: Winrich Kolbe
With Irene Yah-Ling Sun (Mitsu McWilliams), John Fujioka (Nishimoto), Guy Stockwell (Dick McWilliams), Moe Keale (Kaholo), Barbara Kelly (Woman on Boat), Reri Tava Jobe (Gloria Bauer), Esmond Chung (George).

Magnum is hired by an old friend's Japanese wife when her husband is kidnapped and held for $500,000 ransom. She wants Magnum to deliver the ransom without her strict father, who has never approved of their marriage, finding out.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#476 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Always liked "Dick McWilliams", right from the first watch. Never understood why many consider it to be near the bottom of the barrel. Sure, Guy Stockwell is way too old for Irene Yah-Ling Sun and they don't have much chemistry (he's like a grandpa next to her) but aside from this I like everything else about the plot. Good music score, some really nice helicopter action, good plot that keeps you guessing, the mention of McGarrett, etc. Doesn't Rick even mention that one of the cars that came out of the Pali Tunnel that he tracked down belongs to McGarrett? :lol: Funny, I don't remember seeing a big black Mercury boat car coming out of that tunnel. :lol:

Very good solid episode on the whole. Might not make my top 5 for the season but definitely my top 10.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#477 Post by T.Q. »

I like “Dick McWilliams" too.

Good episode. :)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#478 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Dick McWilliams is a fun episode. Some levity, some darkness. Unexpected plot turns that are pretty well executed. I’m never a fan of the Rick gags where there’s something he’s supposedly not trying to get it out (similar bit in Operation Silent Night).

I think this is one of the episodes I’ve seen the least. I’m not sure why - maybe I just don’t like the name of the episode…it’s actually well done. John Fujioka is awesome. He was in everything back in the day.

Oh and how coincidental that we were chatting about Ralph Lauren’s new rugby shirt with kangaroo pocket on the other shirt thread and in walks magnum with the exact shirt in pink! Unfortunately, I don’t have an easy way of putting a screen grab in here. (I’m on my phone)
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#479 Post by eagle »

I forgot about this on Friday night, but watched about 2/3 of the episode last night and am finishing it up right now. "Dick McWilliams" is a good episode, and I always like it when I get to it. Interesting that I never caught the McGarrett reference before this viewing.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#480 Post by 308GUY »

"They don't have last names.." "Who?" "Nuns"...... :lol:

:magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"