Which prop would you want?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#46 Post by SelleckLover »

TSMIII wrote:

When I lived in Waikiki, I wished there had been some of those rickshaws around to cart me home from the bars at night, lol.
I believe they are/were called pedicabs, and they had them when I visited Oahu in 1988. :D :D :D

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by MaximRecoil »

TSMagnumIII wrote:I am a gun nut so I call dibs and I checked, no one else claimed it yet... I want Orville's Uzi!! I thought that rhymed more than Rick's Uzi, lol. I don't want some blank firing prop, if it wasn't real, I don't want it. Give me the UZI!! If I can't have the Uzi then here's something no one has claimed yet either, Rick's Rickshaw from the "China Doll" episode!! When I lived in Waikiki, I wished there had been some of those rickshaws around to cart me home from the bars at night, lol. In three years I never saw a rickshaw and wonder if they ever did really have them. If anyone knows if they had them back in the 80's, why did they go away?? Mahalo and Alohas!!
Most movie and TV props are real guns, and in the case of automatics (semi and full), they are usually modified to cycle with blanks. Usually it is as simple as a lighter recoil spring, though sometimes a plugged barrel is used to create more pressure to cycle the action. This is also why Magnum's Colt Government Model was a 9mm, rather than a .45 like it was supposed to be in the context of the show. They only came up with blanks that would reliably cycle a .45 about 20 years ago. Before that, they had to substitute a 9mm version of the gun for firing scenes. And before the early '70s when Colt introduced the 9mm version of the Government Model, they had to use similar looking guns like the Spanish-made Star Model B 9mm. This is why Star Model Bs were far more common in the movies or on TV than in real life.

Any actual 1911-type .45s shown onscreen in those days were not fired. A good example of this is the movie "The Wild Bunch" (1969). There are a lot of actual .45 1911s shown in that movie, but all the firing scenes are done with Star Model B 9mm's (the easiest way to spot one is to look for an external extractor).

With revolvers and other action types that are not [semi] automatic, no modifications are necessary to fire blanks, but the greater availability of blanks in certain calibers tends to influence the decision of what calibers to use for prop guns.

Quigley Down Under
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#48 Post by Quigley Down Under »

Does the wine cellar count as a prop? I would definately want to 'pilfer' the wine cellar!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Coops »

James J. Walters wrote:I'd also love to have the wooden Tiki Mask (or whatever it is) that is seen hanging on the wall of the guesthouse in the early seasons....

That's pretty cool but unfortunately it's not as "Oh! That's Magnum PI!" as I would like it. LOL, that's more, "I went to Hawai'i and got this scary wall thingie!"

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#50 Post by golfmobile »

AHA! If it (the souvenir/prop) has to SAY "MPI," then the rubber chicken, the gorilla mask, the rattan fan chair, etc., wouldn't "say" they were from the show. Heck, no one even recognizes it when I wear the parrot shirt! We'd have to be at our own MM/MPI convention WITH our props for them to be PROPERLY (ugh! bad pun intended!) acknowledged.

Therefore, I'll settle for the Island Hoppers helicopter, even if it's not operable (wouldn't be for long, anyway, after I crashed it . . .), with the appropriate paint job, sitting in my front yard. Though Larry and the homeowners' association would probably put the big two thumbs down on that. Okay, the back yard -- well, it would look a lot better than those tacky pink and green plastic kiddies' jungle gyms that ARE allowed!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#51 Post by ConchRepublican »

Hmmm . . . I don't think anyone called dibs on the surf ski. Let me just put my name on that bad boy . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#52 Post by N1095A »

ConchRepublican wrote:Hmmm . . . I don't think anyone called dibs on the surf ski. Let me just put my name on that bad boy . . .
Gee, didn't it sink in "Paper War"?

Seriously, I saw a photo a couple of years back that showed the studio storage area in Hawaii, and among the MPI props was the surf ski. It's something I wouldn't mind having either.
Last edited by N1095A on Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Frodoleader »

Seriously, I saw a photo a couple of years back that showed the studio storage area in Hawaii, and amoung the MPI props was the surf ski. It's something I wouldn't mind having either.[/quote]

Yup, I saw that too. But the surf ski is still on my wish list.
As for the team ring, it's in my avatar.

Wouldn't it be cool if every member of this board would get their very own Cross of Lorraine team ring? That way when we run into each other out in the real world, we could recognize each other and our interest in all things MPI!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Sam »

Frodoleader...Here are the pics of the surfski.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg22 ... tage_6.jpg
Last edited by Sam on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#55 Post by ConchRepublican »

Frodoleader wrote:Wouldn't it be cool if every member of this board would get their very own Cross of Lorraine team ring? That way when we run into each other out in the real world, we could recognize each other and our interest in all things MPI!
I had one, but it got grungy and I tossed it.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#56 Post by N1095A »

Those are the ones I saw. Don't know where they came from, but those are the ones.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#57 Post by Italian Ice »

I did buy a prop recently on E-Bay. It was a candle holder, complete with cirtificate of authenticity. It's small, about 6 inches, 3 green metal palm trees with a small space in the middle for a candle to be placed. However, I haven't seen it in any episodes, but again, some I haven't seen, some just bits and pieces, and the rest I haven't seen in years. If anyone sees anything like this, please let me know.....

3 palm trees in a circle, with a round space in the center for a candle to be placed....
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Sam »

N1095A
Those are the ones I saw. Don't know where they came from, but those are the ones.
The pics came from a tour of the studio that Dave Romas took in 1997.Rick Romer got him in.

PhatCat
Admiral

#59 Post by PhatCat »

Thinking about this again, I think I'd want Higgins' bridge since Rick Romer had made it. Too cool to have that on your desk.

BR
Last edited by PhatCat on Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Steve »

Sam wrote:N1095A
The pics came from a tour of the studio that Dave Romas took in 1997.Rick Romer got him in.
You know I had seen those pics of the Surf Ski before when Dave Romas wrote up his piece a few years back, and again when posted here, not to mention all of the episode I watched with Magnum on the Surf Ski but this is the first time I noticed there is a "Cross of Lorraine" on the top of the Ski.........