Momentum Sea Quartz 30

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: New Sea Quartz!!

#46 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I love that they're making these. They look so close to the original specs that I contacted them about purchasing a bezel with the hopes of having it as a replacement for my original one, which is battered. They got back to me saying that the specs are close but it won't fit the old Chronosport cases.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#47 Post by To The Regiment »

Philip Jennings wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:09 pm I received my Momentum Sea Quartz last week and I'm very happy with it.

Coincidentally I also received my copy of Larry's book "Aloha Magnum" last week too. And as I've seen mentioned in another thread, it was autographed (thanks Larry (and Nancy))!
Congrats on the Sea Quartz and the signed book! Sounds like they would make a great photo together.
Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:08 pm I love that they're making these. They look so close to the original specs that I contacted them about purchasing a bezel with the hopes of having it as a replacement for my original one, which is battered. They got back to me saying that the specs are close but it won't fit the old Chronosport cases.
That would have made a great solution. Glad they responded and explained that, though. Momentum/St. Moritz seems to have excellent customer service. I suggested to them that they offer a special edition, or an option, of having the Cross of Lorraine inscribed on the back. They thanked me for the idea and said they would share it with their team.

Sounds like there are plans already in the works to expand their Sea Quartz lineup in the future.

Cheers!
To The Regiment

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#48 Post by To The Regiment »

Styles, can we change the name of this thread to something like "Momentum Sea Quartz 30"?

Cheers!
To The Regiment

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#49 Post by Styles Bitchley »

To The Regiment wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:40 pm Styles, can we change the name of this thread to something like "Momentum Sea Quartz 30"?

Cheers!
To The Regiment
Done.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

Re: Momentum Sea Quartz 30

#50 Post by To The Regiment »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:40 pm
To The Regiment wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:40 pm Styles, can we change the name of this thread to something like "Momentum Sea Quartz 30"?

Cheers!
To The Regiment
Done.
Excellent. Thank you, Styles.

Cheers!
To The Regiment

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#51 Post by To The Regiment »

I received an email survey today from Momentum that said:

"With the runaway success of the Sea Quartz 30, we are looking to expand the collection and we want your help! Want to see different case sizes? Materials? Colors? Movements? Let us know your thoughts in the survey below! This survey will directly influence design decisions for new models."

The email added:

"P.S. Many people are asking us to remake the Chronosport UDT. This is not a viable option yet, as we have not been able to secure supply of the right analog-digital movement, but our team is working on this! (And yes, we have even looked into creating custom-made movements, no luck so far) With that said, we think there are many other exciting options to expand the Sea Quartz 30 collection!"

Fascinating...

To The Regiment

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#52 Post by To The Regiment »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:08 pm I love that they're making these. They look so close to the original specs that I contacted them about purchasing a bezel with the hopes of having it as a replacement for my original one, which is battered. They got back to me saying that the specs are close but it won't fit the old Chronosport cases.
Styles, check this out. A vintage Nilax Sea Quartz 30 for sale: https://www.instagram.com/p/CsgJTsXLg9r ... BiNWFlZA==

Asking $350 Euros shipped. Might be an option for your bezel.

Cheers!
To The Regiment

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#53 Post by To The Regiment »

I just received this email message from Momentum:

"The iconic, and perpetually in-demand Sea Quartz 30 will be available for pre-order tomorrow, June 21st at 10:00 am PDT. Shipping is expected in October.
While we are trying to keep this model in regular stock, we cannot guarantee it will stick around for long."

They're also launching an all black "stealth" Sea Quartz model. What's intriguing to me about that version is they're using only indices on the dial and not numerals--reminiscent of the original Sea Quartz 30 that Magnum wears in the premiere episode.

Which leaves me wondering: Will Momentum offer an "earlier" version of the Sea Quartz 30 with only indices and "Quartz" instead of "Sea Quartz 30" on the dial. They'll get my money again if they do!

Cheers!
To The Regiment

Philip Jennings
Lieutenant Commander

#54 Post by Philip Jennings »

To The Regiment wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:48 am Congrats on the Sea Quartz and the signed book! Sounds like they would make a great photo together.
It took me a while, but here's a couple pictures of what I'll call my study, complete with a little Scotch. :higgins:

Image Image

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by eagle »

So cool that your book is signed! Wish mine was.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#56 Post by Nikita70 »

Placed my order for the next batch. Got the bracelet and the black tropic strap (of course).

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#57 Post by To The Regiment »

Philip Jennings wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:18 pm
To The Regiment wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:48 am Congrats on the Sea Quartz and the signed book! Sounds like they would make a great photo together.
It took me a while, but here's a couple pictures of what I'll call my study, complete with a little Scotch. :higgins:

Image Image
That is AWESOME! Nicely done.

Cheers!
To The Regiment

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#58 Post by To The Regiment »

Nikita70 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:43 pm Placed my order for the next batch. Got the bracelet and the black tropic strap (of course).
I've only seen online images of the bracelet--but it looks great on the Sea Quartz 30.

I ordered the black tropic strap. It was surely nice, but I ended up putting mine on a Tropic Strap®: https://tropicstrap.com that I purchased from https://longislandwatch.com (no affiliation).

Cheers!
To The Regiment

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#59 Post by Nikita70 »

What’s the difference between the stock and the tropic you bought? Although I’m usually a bracelet guy I’ll probably want to wear it on the tropic. But ordered the bracelet because if a watch is available with bracelet you always get the bracelet.

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#60 Post by To The Regiment »

Nikita70 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:58 pm What’s the difference between the stock and the tropic you bought? Although I’m usually a bracelet guy I’ll probably want to wear it on the tropic. But ordered the bracelet because if a watch is available with bracelet you always get the bracelet.
Good question. I'm definitely no expert on original Tropic Straps. From what I know, the original Chronosport Sea Quartz 30 (and several other brands back in the day) came on a Tropic® branded strap. Styles knows MUCH more than I do about those. The Chronosport that Magnum wore during the first three seasons would have had the Tropic. The new Tropic Strap® (like I purchased) is a one-to-one reissue/replica of those original Tropic Straps. It has the name Tropic underneath. It even has the faint vanilla scent that the originals had.

In my opinion, the difference between the Momentum version and the Tropic Strap® is like going from a grade A- to an A+. The Momentum strap is nice. If I didn't have another option, my Sea Quartz would still be on that. But...the Tropic Strap® is just a nicer, higher quality. The Tropic Strap is more pliable, "rubbery", making it more comfortable to wear. The strap keepers on the Tropic Strap work better. The end of the strap on my Momentum tropic keep working its way out from under the keepers. I'd have to put it back in place two or three times a day. Talking with other Momentum Sea Quartz owners, they experienced the same issue. Also, the Momentum version has round holes, whereas the Tropic Strap has the original square holes or cutouts. Styles has posted pics of his original Tropic on this site, which you can use for comparison. Compared side by side, the Tropic Strap® is just a nicer strap. And it's a closer match to the original.

I'm keeping the Momentum straps along with the watch's box and paperwork...but I'll never put them back on the watch as long as I wear it. I definitely prefer the Tropic Strap.

Cheers!
To The Regiment