Inside the Eve Anderson Estate

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Inside the Eve Anderson Estate

#31 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote:Has anyone who has made the pilgrimage seen the tidal pool packed with people? I don't recall seeing anyone's photos showing that.
When I was there, there were a couple of old Hawaiian gentlemen having a chat on the bench at the park. Eventually a handful of local kids came by for a swim - but it's a pretty big pool. I think it would be more popular with tourists if they knew it was there. Despite how much we all know about it, it's still a very hidden gem.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by K Hale »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Pahonu wrote:In thinking about the property since this thread started, I’ve arrived at a couple of new conclusions and reaffirmed others. First, although we all loved this home for obvious reasons, it was in significant disrepair from the elements and, in my view, probably beyond repair with any hope of financial profit. As I said before, and others agreed, this was a property sold almost entirely based on land value.

Second, the house was designed for an era of servants and cheap labor that aren’t around any more. It had accommodations for five live-in staff and service areas almost entirely separated from the living spaces as was common then. Remodeling such spaces for modern living is challenging but possible in some historic homes. This home did not lend itself to such changes. If you look at the model I created it can be seen how the kitchen and laundry were far removed from any living spaces making modern habitation difficult without a large staff as mentioned above.

Third, and perhaps most relevant, even for its time this house was not meant for a family. It was built out of a collection of smaller properties by Mrs. Wall later in life as a recreation and entertainment space... for adults. It has five separate suites, all opening to exterior terraces/balconies. It has no clear owner’s suite, family bedrooms and guest rooms, just individual suites. Think about it. It had a exterior bathhouse with changing rooms, showers, and toilets. It had a bar/pub space at the end of the ell near the beach access. It also had a boathouse for adult recreation. It might have actually made for a nice B&B if it wasn’t so neglected for so long but it may never have been profitable. It was, however, just not designed as a family home, so I think it’s future was inevitably doomed.

All of these factors made it unlikely that it could be saved. Sad but true! :(
I always felt that was the ideal solution. (well, aside from me winning the lottery)

Refreshing the place and using it as Robin did, as a resort of sorts. Not the "all-inclusive" Sandals type, but a more boutique type of place where the atmosphere and vibe was sold. Obviously heavily nodding towards the Magnum history but also old Hawai'i . . . I guess the tough part would be having a place like that yet the beach and tidal pool are public.
You just need to hire Higgins to yell at people with a megaphone and tell them they are sailing into restricted waters.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by K Hale »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Pahonu wrote:Has anyone who has made the pilgrimage seen the tidal pool packed with people? I don't recall seeing anyone's photos showing that.
When I was there, there were a couple of old Hawaiian gentlemen having a chat on the bench at the park. Eventually a handful of local kids came by for a swim - but it's a pretty big pool. I think it would be more popular with tourists if they knew it was there. Despite how much we all know about it, it's still a very hidden gem.
I've been there three times, including once on a weekend, and it has never been packed, or even particularly populated. The beach is small, there is no parking, no facilities, no big hotels (or any at all, I think) and you have to walk through the water to access it which means you need to know it's there ahead of time. You would not just stumble across it. Can't even see it from the road! Of course there is (limited) parking and facilities up the coast at Kaiona Beach Park, but if you're the average tourist and you've parked there, you might as well go in the water there, as the beach is much larger.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Steve »

My first trip to Oahu was in 1987, the show was still being filmed but had no idea where the Estate was, heck I even drove by it twice without knowing when I rented a Jeep to explore the Island (I couldn't afford the insurance price to rent a 308 GTS that were around Honolulu at the time). Thank goodness my second trip in 2007 the internet was full of information where it was, where to park and to be sure and check the tide charts for when you visit the Tidal Pool......I have no huge desire to go back since the main house was demolished unless it would be to rent one of the three properties as an airB&B but that might be restricted if the Obama's do indeed have one of those properties......Damn you Conch for not winning the big Lottery ten years ago :wink:

midnightx
Commander

#35 Post by midnightx »

eagle wrote:Thanks for posting that for quick access. Since it's on a website that could disappear at any time, I have archived all 30 photos.

As with NotthatRick, I still can't believe it's gone. So sad.

A friend and I wanted to buy it and turn it into a B&B. Oh well.
Any chance of posting any here? The link no longer works. :cry:

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

#36 Post by Majordomo »

Pahonu's link in the initial post is not working for me. Can anyone provide a working link (or tell me if I did something wrong)?

:oops:
"Don't hand me that wretched understatement. I was bloody marvelous."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by K Hale »

Majordomo wrote:Pahonu's link in the initial post is not working for me. Can anyone provide a working link (or tell me if I did something wrong)?

It's not you. Their website appears to be down.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

midnightx wrote: Any chance of posting any here? The link no longer works. :cry:
Majordomo wrote:Pahonu's link in the initial post is not working for me. Can anyone provide a working link (or tell me if I did something wrong)?

Hi midnightx & Majordomo! I saved them way back when, so I'll post as soon as I get a chance :D

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
midnightx wrote: Any chance of posting any here? The link no longer works. :cry:

Hi midnightx & Majordomo! I saved them way back when, so I'll post as soon as I get a chance :D
Here are the pics I saved. I never actually viewed the pics from the link Conch posted but if I remember correctly they were from the sales brochure? And eagle, you said you had 30 pics but I only have 19... I'm curious what other pics you have?

Styles Bitchley

#40 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I love those photos. Haven't seen them for a while. Are those the fullest resolution versions available?

I'd love a high res version of the one overlooking Rabbit Island.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by eagle »

I saved them. Let me look for them, and I'll post them.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by eagle »

Here are the pics. Simply stunning, and still so sad that it's gone.

Whoever wants them, please download them because I'm going to remove them in a few days.

[edited to remove images that are now at imgbb, link below]
Last edited by eagle on Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by eagle »

It's interesting that the pictures I have, that I thought were from the sales brochure, are a different set of pics from what RG has.

RG, I'd love to have those pics in high resolution.

Styles Bitchley

#44 Post by Styles Bitchley »

eagle wrote:Here are the pics. Simply stunning, and still so sad that it's gone.

Whoever wants them, please download them because I'm going to remove them in a few days.
No worries about access. I've just added those all to an img.bb folder: https://ibb.co/album/jm7YAa.

It's an amazing free image hosting site. No BS. No account needed (unless you want one) https://imgbb.com/

- J.Q.H.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Wow eagle, great pics! They definitely look like the brochure's photos... in this video I see one that you have that I don't have: https://youtu.be/g7baRT5A0Gs I couldn't remember where I got mine so I did a search and see that in 2018 I posted that I "copied them from a newspaper article that ran after Pahonu sold"... apparently that article didn't have all the photos. :roll:

Styles, do you still need higher resolution of what I posted? I'm guessing not since eagle's are fantastic but if so please PM me your email and I'll send you what I have. I think mine are substantially inferior. :higgins: