Pic of Coops beer 6 pack !!!!!!!!!!!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

Re: Pic of Coops beer 6 pack !!!!!!!!!!!

#31 Post by MaximRecoil »

308GUY wrote:I generally wear an XL, but it seems to depend on the manufacturer's sizing standards lately.
I use Gildan Ultra Cotton T-shirts (100% cotton, 6.1 oz.) and I like them a lot. The black ones seem to shrink the most, which is perfect for me because I'm sort of in between sizes, but lean more toward XL than L, and these black Gildans shrink by just the right amount. I'm not heavy, but I'm 6' 2", so I need the length and shoulder width of an XL.
Just bought an XL today at a gun shop where I was again searching for a 9mm 1911 (01982CCS according to their Colt listing) Called it a "competition" model.
Did you see what it looked like? If not, here's a picture:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/ ... 220006.jpg

It doesn't look much like Magnum's pistol (I don't know if that's important to you or not). The departures from a standard Government Model include: Novak sights, slanted slide serrations, extended thumb safety, beavertail grip safety, long 3-hole trigger, flat mainspring housing, undercut trigger guard, skeletonized hammer, flared ejection port, and a different style/type of finish.

With regard to current-production Colts, the closest to Magnum's MK IV/Series 70 Government Model is the Colt MK IV/Series 70 Government Model reissue:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... s_id/36102

It is only available in .45 ACP though, which is what Magnum's pistol was, in-universe.
Didn't get to talk to the owner, but the girl that waited on me was nice :lol: ...if not all that "informed".
That's typical. It seems obvious that gun shops should hire people who know guns, yet, all too often, that's not the case. Part of the fun of going to a gun shop is talking guns. Two of the gun shop owners in my area really know their stuff; I've spent countless hours since I was a kid talking guns with both of them. Unfortunately, the owner of the biggest gun shop in my area (now deceased), didn't care about guns at all. It was just a business to him. All of those thousands of guns he had in stock might as well have been kitchen appliances for all he cared. His wife, who sometimes tended the shop, was even worse; beyond useless.
She did tell me that part of the reason there are no Colt 1911's in the store, is Colt has a deal where the vendor has to put up like $50,000 to carry their product?.....that's what she told me. They can order whatever you want, but they don't carry anything "in stock."
That's bizarre. Colt is its own worst enemy. They barely advertise, their parts are very difficult to purchase and overpriced when you can find them, and this is the first I've heard about the $50,000 thing, but it doesn't surprise me at all. Colt is the original manufacturer of three of the most outrageously popular types of firearms: 1911, AR-15, and SAA; you would think they would be living high on the hog, yet they are constantly in financial trouble it seems.

1903bluepill
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#32 Post by 1903bluepill »

Maxim,
Just pm'd you with some closeup pics. I'll send dimensions later
The owl thing you mentioned is actually a Scottish twin thistle.
Is J.L. Coops Scottish? Higgins was of Scottish nobility, correct?
This label may have been designed by the propmaster or graphic artist and had some hidden significance.....or not.
Maybe one of you can figure it out.

I need a tutorial on how to attach images to these posts.
I did it originally when I started this topic but those pictures were removed way back when for some reason...??

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by MaximRecoil »

1903bluepill wrote:Maxim,
Just pm'd you with some closeup pics. I'll send dimensions later
The owl thing you mentioned is actually a Scottish twin thistle.
Is J.L. Coops Scottish? Higgins was of Scottish nobility, correct?
This label may have been designed by the propmaster or graphic artist and had some hidden significance.....or not.
Maybe one of you can figure it out.

I need a tutorial on how to attach images to these posts.
I did it originally when I started this topic but those pictures were removed way back when for some reason...??
Yeah, that's interesting about the twin thistle. Based on the refrigerator/egg/keys screenshot from Magnum, P.I., it looked vaguely like a cartoon owl or bird of some sort, and I'm not the only one who thought so, as you can see if you read the thread that was linked to earlier - http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2426. Some of the guesses were: owl, bear, chicken. With the screenshots being blurry, it was a case of seeing faces in the clouds.

To embed pictures in a post, you need to upload them to a website, either your own or a public image hosting site. I use http://imgur.com/. Then you enclose the image's URL between IMG tags, like so:

Code: Select all

[IMG]http://www.whatever.com/whatever.jpg[/IMG]
Your picture in your original post no longer exists because the site you uploaded it to back then (imagechicken.com) no longer exists. This was the URL of your picture:

http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/126 ... 860100.jpg

As you can see, it is now a dead link.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by MaximRecoil »

Another rough draft; more complete than the last one, but still incomplete:

I redrew the "p" and "s" in "Coops" based on the clear picture of those two letters, and I drew the "twin thistle" thing located above the "p" and "s" (definitely not an owl, bear, or chicken).

"Established" is still just placeholder script, as I don't have a good image of that to work from yet.

I drew the "1917" numbers.

The "COOPS IS MADE OF ONLY ..." text is just Helvetica typeface on the original label, so I was able to just type that instead of drawing it.

On the original label, "BEER" is in a typeface which is similar to Times New Roman or Caslon, but I couldn't find a real good match so I drew it.

"UNION MADE" and "MADE IN USA" is just a placeholder typeface, though it is close to the original.
Last edited by MaximRecoil on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#35 Post by Styles Bitchley »

This is just thrilling seeing this come together. Thanks to you both for your work on this!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by 308GUY »

Looking good so far! 8)
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by 308GUY »

MaximRecoil wrote:Did you see what it looked like? If not, here's a picture:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/ ... 220006.jpg

It doesn't look much like Magnum's pistol (I don't know if that's important to you or not). The departures from a standard Government Model include: Novak sights, slanted slide serrations, extended thumb safety, beavertail grip safety, long 3-hole trigger, flat mainspring housing, undercut trigger guard, skeletonized hammer, flared ejection port, and a different style/type of finish.

With regard to current-production Colts, the closest to Magnum's MK IV/Series 70 Government Model is the Colt MK IV/Series 70 Government Model reissue:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... s_id/36102

It is only available in .45 ACP though, which is what Magnum's pistol was, in-universe.
Here's what the Chiappa 1911-22 looks like:

Yea, I was kinda going for the look of TM's sidearm, but for the price, this is fairly close for me. I changed the grips on my SS Taurus .45, but I haven't gotten around to getting new grips for the plinker. It functions pretty well, have used it at the shop on occasion for legless varments that just don't want to find their own space. I wanted a .22 to carry while there, and this fits the bill for me. Yea, it's very cheaply made, pretty sure it's pot metal. The grip safety is just for looks, but the thumb safety is functional and works well. It's supposed to be the same weight and size of an actual Colt 1911 A1, and some of the parts are purported to be interchangable with parts from a Colt, but I've never tested the claim.

MaximRecoil wrote:That's bizarre. Colt is its own worst enemy. They barely advertise, their parts are very difficult to purchase and overpriced when you can find them, and this is the first I've heard about the $50,000 thing, but it doesn't surprise me at all. Colt is the original manufacturer of three of the most outrageously popular types of firearms: 1911, AR-15, and SAA; you would think they would be living high on the hog, yet they are constantly in financial trouble it seems.
I have no way of knowing if that claim is true or not, but I've heard of similar scenario's with other businesses and/or products, so it wouldn't surprise me to learn it's true. It would also explain why none of the shops around here carry a full line of Colt procucts on the shelf. But, it could just as easliy be a false claim.

Still wouldn't mind getting hold of a nice 9mm 1911. You recommended the Walther made .22 when I was looking before I got the Chiappa, and was going to go that route, but at the time, it, like the actual Colt, was not available locally, and at that time, even the online sites I found, were out of stock, so when I had the Chiappa in my hand, I bought it. :D I have a couple other 9's, a Ruger LC9 and a Hungarian Makarov, which is kind of a strange gun, but it functions well.

Thanks for your time and advice. Looking forward to seeing the Coops logo! :magnum:

(Edited cause seeing my post "quoted" made it obvious to me....I can't spell "function"...or t on my keyboard is fubared!)
Last edited by 308GUY on Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#38 Post by J.J. Walters »

MaximRecoil wrote:Another rough draft; more complete than the last one, but still incomplete:
Awesome man, awesome! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by MaximRecoil »

Almost finished:

The typefaces/graphics are all correct now. I got a good picture of the "Established" script so I drew that, and I got a good look at the "UNION MADE" / "MADE IN U.S.A." text, and immediately recognized it as Windsor typeface, which is very distinctive (and has been around for over 100 years). Plus I used Windsor recently, as coincidence would have it, in a different beer T-shirt project. Remember generic beer that came in cans like this?

I decided to print that on a T-shirt. The "BEER" text is Windsor typeface, and the "12 fl. oz." text is Helvetica. Very easy design to make for screen printing, i.e., just type it out. When my little sister, who lives in Arizona, saw it, she thought it was hilarious and wanted one. So just before reclaiming the screen I printed one on a women's T-shirt and mailed it to her:

To summarize:

Drawn: Label graphic, "twin thistle" graphic, "Coops" script, "Established" script, "1917" numbers, and "BEER" text.

Typed: "COOPS IS MADE OF ..." text (Helvetica), and "UNION MADE" / "MADE IN U.S.A." text (Windsor).

The relative sizes and positions of everything is somewhat correct, but 1903bluepill plans to send me some dimensions, so I'll likely be tweaking those things before I consider it finished.

1903bluepill
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#40 Post by 1903bluepill »

Outstanding. Right on
I was going to give you some advice on some subtle modifications based on your earlier first draft but you did them already off the last pm.
Good job!!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#41 Post by Styles Bitchley »

MaximRecoil wrote:I got a good picture of the "Established" script so I drew that, and I got a good look at the "UNION MADE" / "MADE IN U.S.A." text, and immediately recognized it as Windsor typeface, which is very distinctive (and has been around for over 100 years).
I always think of Windsor as the Woody Allen typeface as it's what he uses for the credits in all of his movies.

Outstanding work MaximRecoil! You're very talented.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by MaximRecoil »

1903bluepill wrote:Outstanding. Right on
I was going to give you some advice on some subtle modifications based on your earlier first draft but you did them already off the last pm.
Good job!!
Thanks for sending the pictures and the dimensions. It would have been an impossible project otherwise.

I made some more tweaks, with positioning and such. I noticed that, based on your dimensions, the angle of the bottom peak is more shallow than the top peak, so I adjusted that (it looks better that way too). However, I decided to depart from the dimensions a bit for the purpose of screen printing on a T-shirt. The original label was rather square, but on a can or bottle it looked more rectangular due to the curved surface. When viewed flat, there is a lot of empty real estate on both sides of the writing, so I made it a little more rectangular to compensate for that. There was also a lot of empty space above the "Coops" logo, about twice as much as below the "BEER" text, so I evened that out too.

I'm ready to print the film positive:

But I'll probably wait until I get the ink. I'm going to go with metallic copper ink instead of metallic gold, because it looks like a close match to the color of the labels on the original props. I'll order that today or tomorrow.

Do you see anything I've missed?

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by MaximRecoil »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
MaximRecoil wrote:I got a good picture of the "Established" script so I drew that, and I got a good look at the "UNION MADE" / "MADE IN U.S.A." text, and immediately recognized it as Windsor typeface, which is very distinctive (and has been around for over 100 years).
I always think of Windsor as the Woody Allen typeface as it's what he uses for the credits in all of his movies.

Outstanding work MaximRecoil! You're very talented.
Thanks. It took a lot of practice to master Adobe Illustrator. The almighty pen tool is very powerful, but not even remotely intuitive. I started in 2004 when I took an old screen printed T-shirt from my childhood to a local screen printing shop and asked if they could reproduce it. The image they sent me for approval was ridiculous; it was a rough approximation at best. I went to talk to their "artist" and he said he couldn't find matching fonts, so he just used random fonts that he thought were "close enough". I told him I'd do it myself and taught myself how to use vector software. I couldn't find the matching fonts either, but unlike him, I drew each letter manually to match the original.

Eventually I was creating vector files for screen printed reproductions of classic video arcade machine decals; for example, this is my vector work:

http://www.thisoldgame.com/products/sup ... t-side-art

I also did the vector files for the two other Super Punch-Out!! items in the "Customers Who Ordered This Item Also Ordered" category ("Ducking Pull" overlay and Super Punch-Out!! marquee).

After doing so many vector files for others to use for screen printing, I decided I wanted to be able to screen print myself, which I've been doing for a couple of years. I only screen print T-shirts though; screen printing on other substrates such as vinyl is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by MaximRecoil »

308GUY wrote: Here's what the Chiappa 1911-22 looks like:

Yea, I was kinda going for the look of TM's sidearm, but for the price, this is fairly close for me. I changed the grips on my SS Taurus .45, but I haven't gotten around to getting new grips for the plinker. It funcions pretty well, have used it at the shop on occasion for legless varments that just don't want to find their own space. I wanted a .22 to carry while there, and this fits the bill for me. Yea, it's very cheaply made, pretty sure it's pot metal. The grip safety is just for looks, but the thumb safety is funcional and works well. It's supposed to be the same weight and size of an actual Colt 1911 A1, and some of the parts are purported to be interchangable with parts from a Colt, but I've never tested the claim.
The Colt-labeled Walther/Umarex 1911-style .22 LR uses pot metal too. It doesn't really have any advantages over the Chiappa that you have, aside from having the name "Colt" on it (not that Colt has any hand in actually manufacturing it; they just license their name for it). The best .22 LR 1911-type pistol is a Colt Ace, but those generally aren't cheap, especially if it is an original one from the '30s/'40s. They are all-steel and produced to the same quality standards as real Government Models (and were actually manufactured by Colt). They also have a "floating chamber" which simulates the recoil of a heavier cartridge. It doesn't match the recoil of a .45 ACP, but it is somewhat on par with a 9mm Luger.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by 308GUY »

That Coops label looks great!

Nice work to be sure.

Thanks for the info on the pistols...I'll keep what I've got for now, and watch for a good deal on a 9mm 1911 A1 "look-a-like" :lol:

Looking forward to your announcement of being ready to start squeegeeing! :magnum: