Your least favorite episode

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

Re: Worst Episode

#16 Post by IslandHopper »

eegorr wrote:
IslandHopper wrote:I'm surprised the writers didn't have Rick try out for Place Kicker, or at least Backup Holder.
I literally laughed out loud when I read this! :lol:
Glad you liked that eegorr. Did you get that same impression from that episode?
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#17 Post by eegorr »

IslandHopper wrote: Glad you liked that eegorr. Did you get that same impression from that episode?
It definitely required more suspension of disbelief than your average MPI episode! :lol:

TC may have been a tight end at Grambling, but that was when he was 15-20 years younger.

MagnumPI_Cat
Commander

#18 Post by MagnumPI_Cat »

James J. Walters wrote:Yeah, One More Summer was kind of a let down for me, too. With the premise, it could have been so much better with a decent script. And you're right, Dorsey just didn't seem like an ex-Navy guy at all. For some reason, for me, he didn't seem THAT much younger than Magnum, however.
I thought Try to Remember was my least favourite episode. But no, One More Summer would have to be the worst I have seen.
IslandHopper wrote:It seemed like Chuck Mangione was some social misfit who could only communicate through his trumpet.
That cracked me up!

MagnumPI_Cat.
Out of my way before I run you down and enjoy it! - Thomas Magnum, Tropical Madness, season 2.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#19 Post by Doc Ibold »

OK,

Here are some of my least favorites:

"The Taking of Dick McWilliams"
"By Its Cover"
"Two Birds of a Feather"
"Find Me a Rainbow"
and
"Photo Play" for the Shelley Faraday character who I want to throw a brick at.

I was going to say any episode with Jim "Mac" Bonnick in it (save Mac's Back), but now that I think about it, the episodes aren't that bad, its just that I don't like the character, even though I think it's interesting how they wrote him- but thats a post in and of itself.

Now, back to James highly subjective point, I actually LIKE One More Summer. I like the Joe Namath-esque character in there (Dorsey's torn up shoulder = Namath's knees, the partying lifestyle, etc.)

Plus I could believe TC could be a tight end. He was always working out and the man WAS pretty buff. Any man who in the future could kick the crap out of Condley Willard could block and catch balls!

MyGod!
Lieutenant Commander

#20 Post by MyGod! »

I always thought Echoes of the Mind was terrrrrible. Sharon Stone and the music in the two episodes was so grating and bad. I also was very annoyed by Out of Sync, I thought that TM and Dana Delaney's character has no chemistry and the writing was bad.

Funny enough, One More Summer is probably one of my faves.., while the QB Dorsey was kind of annoying, I always loved the sports episodes, and thought it was an entertaining fun episode.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Seaver41 »

I don't know the name of the episode (this is from memory).......but he was watch some teen tennis prodigy at a pro-am tournament while also having interest in her older rival.............and there was some bet between Higgy and TC...............it was just not very exciting.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#22 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

That was Mixed Doubles.
Last edited by IKnowWhatYoureThinking on Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Seaver41 »

thanks

Jeffrey
Vice Admiral

#24 Post by Jeffrey »

Two Birds of a Feather wasn't good. But this episode does have his funny moments... So its difficult to realy say wich one is the worst of all.
TM "Rick wasn't overly enthusiastic about my plan. He thought it had some holes in it, and he was afraid they would end up in him...
I told him that was ridiculous."

Artie Canoe
Captain

#25 Post by Artie Canoe »

Kiss of the Sabre is my least favorite with that woman being so incessantly annoying.
"I forgot my loincloth and spear." - Luther H. Gillis

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Steve »

Definitely the Murder She Wrote/2 part Monstrocity followed very closely by The Woman on the Beach.......Judith Chapman makes my skin crawl...........

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Seaver41 »

this may sound strange.......but I guess what I don't like are the episodes that step outside the current theme/storyline of the season....such as the dream sequences flashing back to older eras. Here's the kicker.......those episodes alone are not bad...some real good.......but back in the day you get hooked on the storylines and want more.......whereas these served only as distractions.

I suspect once I get the collection I will appreciate those more as I know the stories now.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#28 Post by Doc Ibold »

Yeah, once you get the collection, you get to aspects of episodes that really aren't that good plotwise, but there are nuances in the treatment of the characters that you pick up on and appreciate.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by lutherhgillis »

I will vote for "I Do" and "Ghost Writer". I believe "Paniolo" and "Love for Sale Boat" deserve honorable mention.

The "Novel Connection" episode gives me the 'I want to bang my head against the wall' feeling due to the absolutely irritating characters but the story was OK.

"Birds of a Feather" was not the best episode but I did like how they gave some treatment to the group's Vietnam experience.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#30 Post by ConchRepublican »

Artie Canoe wrote:Kiss of the Sabre is my least favorite with that woman being so incessantly annoying.
Get Gene Rayburn, we have a match!

I turned Kiss of the Sabre off 5 minutes in. I could not take the pacing and characters. The only Magnum episode I have ever turned off. Awful.

Kona Winds would probably come in next. I didn't like much about it at all.

There have been other which weren't great. Echoes of the Mind should have been better. Mixed Double wasn't great, but at the time I was a Kim Richards fan (OK, it was a childhood crush which started with the Witch Mountain series through to Tuff Turf) so I had better memories of it until recently.

There were others, but the last few months have featured Scrubs-a-thons over Magnum-a-thons (which is expected to change this weekend) so some memories are a bit fuzzy.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04