Quality of episodes over the seasons

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Quality of episodes over the seasons

#16 Post by K Hale »

perfectlykevin wrote:I skimmed the article, not giving it more attention than it deserved. Pretentious and pompous come to mind, and sadly he missed the point of the show.
When someone’s criticisms of the show point out things that are basically the point of the show, then you just have to conclude that the show is not for them.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Laohu »

It is pretty easy to pick a show apart and point out flaws in it . Not easy to hear or agree with even when what is being said has facts and a lot of personal opinions and conclusions. His bashing of Selleck seemed a little harsh most actors would love the career that he has had . I did notice that when listing TS’s films he left off 3 men in a baby . Was that because he was not the lone star or was that because it did not support his claims ? See I can start to pick his article apart to :lol: . I guess my point is it is easy to rip a show apart even if it’s someone’s favorite .

Lord Ickenham
Lieutenant Commander

#18 Post by Lord Ickenham »

It isn't a religion. We don't need to like everything in it. I like the feeling of the series, but I understand if someone didn't. I like the returning pranks between TM and JQH. I like when TC's windscreen broke. For me Rick's afraid of Icepeek is not boring. These are the same like Columbo's "one more question". Someone hate it.
I am a Wodehouse fan, and his stories are very similar too. But the style, humor, and the feeling are great.

croixdelorraine
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#19 Post by croixdelorraine »

duvduv wrote:I am currently in Season 4, and find most (though not all) of the episodes boring. Is it just me, and do things improve? If not, how did the series last 8 seasons? Furthermore, we don't see that Magnum is actually a detective. He has no office, no business number, no secretary, and in many episodes he is not actually doing any detective work at all!
Sorry for coming in late, I just joined yesterday. The way I read it, you're not saying that you think all the episodes are boring, just season 4, right? As with any show, there's some "meh" moments, and I personally am not a huge fan of season 4. The first three seasons were great, but many of the season 4 episodes I skip when I rewatch the series. There are a couple of good ones, but yeah many of the season 4 episodes seem just pieced together. Don't worry, it gets better. Not every episode/season can be a winner.

duvduv
Lieutenant

#20 Post by duvduv »

By way of update, I just started Season 8. My evaluation of Season 7 was that I had the feeling that the actors (Selleck, Hillerman especially) were getting bored of the show. The quality of the episodes declined substantially during Season 7. I think it was correct to end it in Season 8. It was out of fuel. I guess an actual cancellation was merely a formality.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by K Hale »

duvduv wrote:By way of update, I just started Season 8. My evaluation of Season 7 was that I had the feeling that the actors (Selleck, Hillerman especially) were getting bored of the show. The quality of the episodes declined substantially during Season 7. I think it was correct to end it in Season 8. It was out of fuel. I guess an actual cancellation was merely a formality.
I’ve read an article where Selleck mentioned Hillerman was leaning on him pretty hard to commit to do an 8th season. Bored? I think not...
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!