Magim’s Fashion Faux Pas

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Chronosport
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Magim’s Fashion Faux Pas

#16 Post by Chronosport »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote:Who’s Magim?
Oh come on Father, with all due respect to a man of the cloth, on the idiotic QWERTY keyboard u and I are right next to each other. Then again, perhaps u and i have a communication problem.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by K Hale »

Chronosport wrote:Magnum was not supposed to be some overrefined fashionista, like Pierce Brosnan’s 007, but rather a regular cool guy who didn’t care much about fashion—one who wore what he liked and what was comfortable.
Which is exactly what everyone ought to do.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Stelth »

Short shorts are obviously an abomination. I'm not a fan of the banded collar shirts and despite "progressive" opinions I think any man looks ridiculous in a pink shirt. I'm not really a fan of Hawaiian shirts but when in Rome...Fashion aside, I'd say Magnum's biggest faux pas was not owning a holster. Mexican-carrying a loaded government model is dangerous, uncomfortable, and unprofessional.

I forgot one...flip-flops. Totally unacceptable. I've lived near the beach my entire life yet I've managed to do without ever owning a pair these horrible excuses for footwear.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Sam »

Chronosport wrote:
Oh come on Father, with all due respect to a man of the cloth, on the idiotic QWERTY keyboard u and I are right next to each other. Then again, perhaps u and i have a communication problem.
Haha..Come on.. it's just not the I and the U also forgot the N..Have fun.. lighten up

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Stelth »

speling is harrd ;)

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#21 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

I literally read it as ˈma-jim. Apparently Magnum was not the only one making a false step.
Faith and Begorrah!

Chronosport
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#22 Post by Chronosport »

Sam wrote:
Chronosport wrote:
Haha..Come on.. it's just not the I and the U also forgot the N..Have fun.. lighten up
Sage advice, Sam.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#23 Post by Pahonu »

Stelth wrote:
I forgot one...flip-flops. Totally unacceptable. I've lived near the beach my entire life yet I've managed to do without ever owning a pair these horrible excuses for footwear.
Unacceptable? Why? Living near the beach and being in the water are two different things. My wife was a competitive swimmer in college and still swims daily. Flip-flops are very functional for her. My son plays water polo, surfs, and kayaks and the same is true. My daughter swims too, and we all love snorkeling. We live at a marina and sail regularly. I never wear them on my boat and no competent sailor would (or their guests and crew). When I head out for a set, however, I wear them on the sand and deposit them with my towel for the session. I also wear them to the hot tub for a nice soak after a good paddle on my kayak. I'm not sure how much you're in the water, but do you typically wear shoes and socks onto the sand or out to a pool? I see some people around doing this and they don't seem to get wet much. I guess sandals would work, or slides, but they're basically similar and no more or less convenient. My whole family clearly loves the water, and flip-flops are so convenient, they're piled by our back door. I'm not saying they're fashionable, though I suppose some might disagree. I'm saying it's hard to imagine a water lifestyle in a warm climate like your Ft. Lauderdale or my Long Beach, without them. :D

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Stelth »

I'll agree to disagree.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Stelth wrote:Short shorts are obviously an abomination. I'm not a fan of the banded collar shirts and despite "progressive" opinions I think any man looks ridiculous in a pink shirt. I'm not really a fan of Hawaiian shirts but when in Rome...Fashion aside, I'd say Magnum's biggest faux pas was not owning a holster. Mexican-carrying a loaded government model is dangerous, uncomfortable, and unprofessional.

I agree with everything you said there - except for the short shorts. I'm not a fan of shorts generally, but if any shorts must be worn, I say short shorts are better than knee-shorts.

Yes, pink shirts look ridiculous on a man. If Tom Selleck can't pull it off, who can? Flip flops are pathetic. I'm ashamed to admit that I briefly wore flip flops in 1980 (possibly also in '81). I didn't really like it then and I've been haunted by the experience ever since. (toe rubbing, that annoying flopping sound when walking, the crushed foam after only a few days of use... and so on)

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Stelth »

You're choosing between extremes...shorts can also end between the knee and crotch. I don't advocate the ridiculously long homeboy shorts but I also loathe daisy dukes (unless the dukes are on an attractive woman).

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#27 Post by Pahonu »

Stelth wrote:I'll agree to disagree.
I was just wondering what you wear in the sand and on pool decks, etc... unless you don't go in the water. I have a good friend I've sailed with for years. He has over 8000 miles of blue-water experience and his captains license. He lived aboard his Formosa 41 ketch Sequoia for years and he teaches youth sailing. He doesn't swim, surf, kayak, dive, or even snorkel. He only gets wet from ocean spray or a beach landing in his dinghy, I suppose. :D Are you a boater?

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Stelth »

In and around the water it's either boat shoes, canvas low top sneakers, or barefoot.

Chronosport
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#29 Post by Chronosport »

Stelth wrote:speling is harrd ;)
So is wit, evidently.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Stelth »

You spelled "Magnum" wrong on a Magnum P.I. website and you're questioning my wit? Just fix your error and lighten up.