"How To Be A World Class Private Investigator" - List?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Lindsay Writer
Commander

Re: "How To Be A World Class Private Investigator" - List?

#16 Post by Lindsay Writer »

Luther Gillis wrote the book first and TM thought it was hilarious, that was a great funny scene when they are in the car together. "So You Wanta Be A Private Eye" and The Big Guy ain't got nothin' to top Luther with. Luther should have gotten his own spin-off series I always thought he should be a private eye in Beverly Hills and I'm sad Reuben Leder never did this. Maybe he tried to do it and CBS turned it down. Reuben created Luther and wrote all his episodes Luther was a great character and Eugene Roche was so perfect to play him.

Turkey
Admiral

#17 Post by Turkey »

From Season 4.20 Dream a Little Dream

I wasn't able to transcribe this one at the time, but it's during the flashback parts of the ep - where he goes out to check on Soames/Soames car - Magnum mentions that when he writes the book he'll include a section on 'rookie mistakes' in terms of 'not checking with the police first.'
Make it two weeks.

Turkey
Admiral

#18 Post by Turkey »

From 'The Arrow that is Not Aimed' (S3, ep 14)

working rule #23 "you must go through the motions anyway - you never know, you could get lucky"
working rule #35 stipulates that "you always enter strange hotel rooms with extreme caution"
Make it two weeks.

Turkey
Admiral

#19 Post by Turkey »

Found three more, but I actually cannot quite remember the 3rd, though I think it's roughly what I've got:

Apparently rule #1 appears in Echoes of the Mind Pt1 :magnum:

#1 "never get involved with female clients"
#2 "never break rule number one"

#3 something like "always keep the client happy"
Make it two weeks.

Turkey
Admiral

#20 Post by Turkey »

From Laura in S7:

Maybe not strictly a rule - but when he's making his tape for his nephew (I think) Thomas says something like, the thing about being a private investigator is that "you can't look for work, you have to wait for work to find you"

Make it two weeks.

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#21 Post by Mr. Greene »

But we're forgetting one big rule TM had and expressed a lot "work the lock" that definately needs to be included in the rules.

Turkey
Admiral

#22 Post by Turkey »

Mr. Greene wrote:But we're forgetting one big rule TM had and expressed a lot "work the lock" that definately needs to be included in the rules.
Yes, classic! :)

He'd mention that in the pilot first, right?
Make it two weeks.

eltonsean
Captain

#23 Post by eltonsean »

Turkey wrote:
Mr. Greene wrote:But we're forgetting one big rule TM had and expressed a lot "work the lock" that definately needs to be included in the rules.

yes, he first mentions "work the lock" in the pilot episode when the dogs are chasing Magnum as he is trying to get into the Ferrari. He also mentions it in episode 1.5 "No Need To Know" when the dogs are chasing Magnum as he trying to get into the guest house. Are there other episodes when Magnum uses the phrase "work the lock"? I'm not sure, can't think of any off the top of my head.
"Living well is the best revenge".

Turkey
Admiral

#24 Post by Turkey »

eltonsean wrote:
Turkey wrote:

yes, he first mentions "work the lock" in the pilot episode when the dogs are chasing Magnum as he is trying to get into the Ferrari. He also mentions it in episode 1.5 "No Need To Know" when the dogs are chasing Magnum as he trying to get into the guest house. Are there other episodes when Magnum uses the phrase "work the lock"? I'm not sure, can't think of any off the top of my head.
Ace, I'll have to re-watch the pilot eps soon :)
(and 'no need to know' as well :D)
Make it two weeks.

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#25 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

I think he said it in the season 7 premiere "L.A.". I took at as a nostalgic nod in the planned final season.
Faith and Begorrah!

Turkey
Admiral

#26 Post by Turkey »

^ maybe he also says 'work the lock' when he's breaking into the captain's quarters in Thicker than Blood?
Make it two weeks.

Turkey
Admiral

#27 Post by Turkey »

Found 3 more rules but I can't quite be sure if I remember the episode correctly - 90% sure it's from Almost Home (3.11) which is the one Kathleen Loyd first appears in, (not playing Carol though.)

Again, he didn't number these rules but called them 'cardinal rules' (and I'm paraphrasing a bit too)

Don't try telling a client something she doesn't want to hear... sometimes you have to just let them go

Talk money right up front

If it doesn't feel right don't do it

And he added, around the same time something like:

But also, don't trust rules all the time
Make it two weeks.

Turkey
Admiral

#28 Post by Turkey »

Found another that I hope isn't a repeat - from Legacy from a Friend (3:19):

Magnum mentions wanting to write a chapter on "...listening to your little voice. Everyone has one..." where he's regretting not following up with Marcus right away about his friend's new car
Make it two weeks.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#29 Post by ConchRepublican »

eltonsean wrote:
Turkey wrote:

I always wished that would have popped up more often.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by ENSHealy »

yes, he first mentions "work the lock" in the pilot episode when the dogs are chasing Magnum as he is trying to get into the Ferrari.
And later he repeats it as he's trying to break in to Captain Cooly's office while Alice and Ensign Healy are coming up in the elevator. "Don't look at the elevator, work the lock...you looked at the elevator!"
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."