Relationships and Magnum fixations

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

What does your spouse / partner / significant other think of your passion for Magnum P.I.?

He/She's a Maghead too!
7%
Totally supportive and somewhat interested.
37%
Supportive, but not interested.
27%
Indifferent.
3%
He/She tollerates it.
13%
He/She can't believe I waste my time watching this crap.
13%
He/She has no idea. MPI is my little secret!
No votes

Total votes: 30

rasgards
Rear Admiral

#16 Post by rasgards »

Better than buying a couple of the DVD sets for my birthdays and catching her watching while the kids and I are having a MPI night, she could care less. She tolerates. All my daughters have gone thru phases of watching the show with me. My youngest says at least once a week..."Poppy lets watch Magnum". Makes me proud!
Ras G

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#17 Post by N1095A »

My wife is pretty supportive, although some of the MPI references I make have her rolling her eyes. Yesterday I was at a flea market and they had the wicker chair like the one in the guest house for $50. I thought about buying it, but didn't get a good vibe from her on it. She does a pretty spot on Higgins impression, and she's named the neighborhood deer that we feed after MPI characters.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#18 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Looks like things are definitely in the supportive/positive territory. Nice to see!

Big props to those of you who have to indulge with a pesky tsk tsk from loved ones. Glad you've persevered...and remember, we're here for you!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Steve »

Like so many of my interests, my wife just shakes her head and I am pretty sure is thinking to herself "how in the heck did I ever get mixed up with this guy". We have made it 18 years this Labor Day weekend so I guess you could say she tolerates it.
One note, if you have a spouse like mine, I suggest if you ever make it over to our "Mecca", The Anderson Estate, go alone so you can spend more than 20 minutes there. My plans of taking a nice swim in the Tidal Pool, sitting on the break wall and then the "slab" to meditate and pray to the all mighty spirit of all things Magnum,pi located (IMHO) at Rabbit Island in the distance just was not in her agenda. I won't even try and describe the look on her face and the profanity coming out of her mouth when I suggested we reenact the infamous Magnum snorkling lesson scene and have our son take a picture!

Carmen
MPI

#20 Post by Carmen »

my husband knows me since 1979 (I was 14 back then) and he learned to tolerate - hmmm - me :wink: and my obsessions, but sometimes I have to explain what I am doing and why, so last week we went to see "Killers" - finally!! And he wanted to sit in one of that double seats with me, so I had to tell him it has NOTHING to do with him that I am so excited to see the movie and I don`t want to be disturbed by ANYONE the next 90 minutes :lol:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

Steve wrote:Like so many of my interests, my wife just shakes her head and I am pretty sure is thinking to herself "how in the heck did I ever get mixed up with this guy". We have made it 18 years this Labor Day weekend so I guess you could say she tolerates it.
One note, if you have a spouse like mine, I suggest if you ever make it over to our "Mecca", The Anderson Estate, go alone so you can spend more than 20 minutes there. My plans of taking a nice swim in the Tidal Pool, sitting on the break wall and then the "slab" to meditate and pray to the all mighty spirit of all things Magnum,pi located (IMHO) at Rabbit Island in the distance just was not in her agenda. I won't even try and describe the look on her face and the profanity coming out of her mouth when I suggested we reenact the infamous Magnum snorkling lesson scene and have our son take a picture!
LOL! :)

I don't think I'll even bother to ask. I'll have better luck with the From Here to Eternity scene. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!