Which do you prefer: seasons 1-4 or seasons 5-8

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Little Garwood »

HiHo wrote:
Little Garwood wrote:I was in the fifth grade when I "discovered" MPI during its original run and it's those first four seasons I still like best. It's a lot more hit and miss after that, whether it was "bringing back" Mac, Higgins maybe being Robin Masters, literally going back to Viet Nam--a popular theme in the mid-eighties as we came to terms with the war--Magnum's "little voice" becoming more like psychic powers, the Murder, She Wrote intrusion, the overly-serious season eight where I sometimes felt I didn't know the characters anymore, the Miami Vice-ification, etc.

However, I'm not surprised that the top forty eps here includes a lot of latter-season shows. The show definitely matured, but I always like a show earlier in its run than later.
Good post...couldn't have summed it up better myself...and too lazy to attempt it.
Thanks!

Hey James, could we get a poll attached to this thread? You know, an error-free, scientifically flawless message board-style poll? :lol:
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#17 Post by Agatha »

Oh, no, you guys! I won't get to vote...my favorite seasons are 1, 3, 5 & 7!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Jaybird
Admiral

#18 Post by Jaybird »

Hard to decide because some early episodes were not that good but then some in the second group, 5-8, were, well, not bad but not all that good.
If I had choose.......1-4 but I surely liked seasons 7-8.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#19 Post by N1095A »

I agree completely that there was a definite line and change of mood between 1-4 and 5-8, but I really can't say I like one more than the other.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Frodoleader »

First of all, I love all 8 seasons of MPI! Second, I guess I never really noticed any change in tone of the series, among any of the seasons. I guess the only thing I ever sensed was that once MPI was an established hit, you could tell the approach was more relaxed. They didn't have to try as hard to get our attention. Does that make sense?
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Little Garwood »

Agatha wrote:Oh, no, you guys! I won't get to vote...my favorite seasons are 1, 3, 5 & 7!!

:)
LOL That sounds like the reverse of STAR TREK fans, when they say that the even-numbered films are superior to the odd-numbered ones!

Maybe the poll can reflect that, too! :lol:
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by MACattack »

I believe that the Magnum P.I. series was at its best from 1982 to 1987.
I wish they would bring it back as a new series for a couple years (with the original cast!).
Well, hopefully Hollywood will make the movie they've been talking about for the last 10 years! If Selleck isn't in it, I'll save my 10 dollars!
I just don't give a damn!

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Frodoleader wrote:First of all, I love all 8 seasons of MPI! Second, I guess I never really noticed any change in tone of the series, among any of the seasons. I guess the only thing I ever sensed was that once MPI was an established hit, you could tell the approach was more relaxed. They didn't have to try as hard to get our attention. Does that make sense?
It completely makes sense.
Once the series was a hit, I felt they were more relaxed and dared to try more varied and experimental episodes.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Lar
Captain

#24 Post by Lar »

I'll cautiously say 5-8. I love 1-4, but many of my favorite episodes come from that later half. Heck, season 7 is probably my favorite season.