Magnum G.I.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#106 Post by N1095A »

James J. Walters wrote:Nice collection of "Magnum Stuff", N! :shock: Must make Halloween time easy for you. Just throw on the Magnum gear and you're ready to roll! ;)

golf, I'm so digging the watch, ring and belt buckle you've added for "Magnum G.I."! Awesome!

:D
Halloween? I wear this stuff year 'round. That's why most of my stuff can't be recognized as MPI stuff except by those who are real fans of the show. in example, my belt buckle looks very much like Magnum's, but it doesn't have "MAGNUM" engraved on it.
Last edited by N1095A on Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#107 Post by J.J. Walters »

No no, I wasn't trying to imply that you should only wear it on Halloween. Just, if you already have it, no need to scrounge for a costume. You already have one. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#108 Post by N1095A »

James J. Walters wrote:No no, I wasn't trying to imply that you should only wear it on Halloween. Just, if you already have it, no need to scrounge for a costume. You already have one. ;)
Funny, I could put together a much better looking TM costume than the the that is/was being sold. TS's reaction to it on Conan was priceless.
Thing is, Magnum seems to have worn his banded collar dress shirts, or the olive or khaki safari shirts much more than the Hawaiian print shirts. In fact in later seasons we only rarely saw the Hawaiian shirts. Around season 4 or 5 his wardrobe seemed to change quite a bit from earlier seasons. The feel of the show changed some time during season 4 as well. Not for the better or worse, just different. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
"But Higgins, I can explain."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#109 Post by golfmobile »

Magnum got a new shirt, along with Rick GI (who also got new shorts) -- in honor of Larry Manetti's response to my email. I think I'll send this picture to him and ask him what the inside joke of the Hungarian acrobats is. Maybe if I get his attention by showing him a picture of his book, he might give me an answer? Ya think?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#110 Post by golfmobile »

MGI got a new toy! Here's a sample:

More Pictures Here (where it is explained where it came from and how it came to be what it is)

I hope you recognize it as a toy-size Island Hoppers helicopter for MGI!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#111 Post by J.J. Walters »

Nicely done golf! I like it!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#112 Post by golfmobile »

Okay, guys, I have finished my first attempt at the intro for MagnumGI. Unfortunately, the video clips I made were longer than the 59 seconds of the actual clip, so I had to dupe some of the music over itself to stretch it out to be as long as the video. I warn you: It is NOT well done, but I'm tired of messing with it today. If anyone else can make a smooth, not jerky, audio clip exactly the length of my video, I will be MORE than happy to add it to my video.

You will also note that I couldn't get all of the actual clips and used a couple from a previous intro (e.g., the car exploding and Rick and his straw hat) that are not in the final intro that is used now. So be kind to me in viewing it. I'm still thinking of it as a "semi-final" version. I'd like to add some helicopter clips of MGI and TC in the chopper, along with some others. But I don't have my MGI-size helicopter painted yet.

I've put the video on the Roaming Magnum GI blog here (click on the video once and then the arrow at the bottom left to play it):

Roaming Magnum GI Video

and on Webshots and youtube. Let me know if you can't view it from the link to the blog above, and I'll add links to Webshots and youtube.

Please just be tolerant of the jumpy music.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#113 Post by SelleckLover »

OMG! golf! Outstanding work! I love it! :D

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#114 Post by Doc Ibold »

Classic!

EXCELLENT work on this, golf!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#115 Post by golfmobile »

Thanks, guys!

Now I need your combined help to find a character for this doll:

Female Character on MPI

Maybe I can get this one cheaply, but for the life of me, right now, I can't think of a single role on the show where the female guest star had short blonde hair similar to this. Can anyone else come up with one?

In the meantime, I DO have a doll who can be Cynthia Farrell (Dana Delaney) of "L.A." episodes -- if I could only remember what she wore in those episodes. I vaguely remember a sort of pink Jackie Kennedy style suit? Any suggestions? Pictures?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#116 Post by IslandHopper »

Golf,

I'm not sure there were any topless female guest stars on MPI. :shock: Just kidding Golf. :lol:

You may have already thought of this Golf, but you could get a standard Barbie Doll and make it look like the Carrie Reardon character in "Mixed Doubles" (season 3). Remember she had her own doll. Besides, that would give you an excuse to knit some tennis duds for Magnum, G.I.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#117 Post by golfmobile »

IH,

Ha, ha, ha! I'll put pasties on her and let her be one of the pole dancers in the nightclub for Thomas' 40th birthday party!!

Okay, tennis duds are a good idea. I hadn't thought of knitting a tennis sweater for MGI, but that's a good idea. I can knit, so I can make up a cable-knit pattern to knit him a sweater (though why one is needed in Hawaii is beyond me . . . .). But that might take a little bit longer to make that his usual Hawaii shirts. Stay tuned! It'll be his "winter" outfit.

I'll see if I can find a cheap Barbie with long blonde hair. I hate to turn to Barbies, as I am a Madame Alexander doll fan. But for MGI, I'll temporarily turn traitor.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#118 Post by SelleckLover »

Didn't Mr. Selleck's ex-wife Jacquelyn guest on the show a couple of times? Didn't she have short blonde hair? I could be wrong. :?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#119 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile wrote:Roaming Magnum GI Video
:shock:

Ok, that's about the coolest MPI tribute I've ever seen! What a wonderful, creative, fun-to-watch piece of work that is, golf! Fantastic job!

Higgins with the rubber chicken, Rambo Rick jumping through the window and the "graveyard scare" are my favorites from the video. LOL! Awesome! And I really like how you did Magnum's eyebrow lift at the end.

One thing you might what to change is the "Snorkel Shot" (probably the most famous Magnum clip of all). The Mag should glance down at the, uh, "bottom area" of the snorkeler, then look up. Actually if you wanted to make it really accurate you would have him shake his head up and down a few times (looking at the head of the snorkeler), then glance at the "bottom area", then look up. ;)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#120 Post by golfmobile »

SL,

As I recall, Jacquelyn had close to shoulder-length hair, I think. There's a picture of her here in the "Birdman of Budapest" episode shots. It doesn't show it very well, but I think it was down over her collar in the back.

James,

Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you caught the "surprise" element of the hole-in-the-potting-shed scene from "The Woman on the Beach" because Larry does such a fakey "startled" movement in that scene that it deserved re-enactment.

The problem with the snorkel shot is that MGI's head moves only side to side, NOT up and down, as MA Higgins' does (go up and down), for example. The only way to make him look down is to tilt his entire body. That would then require a THIRD person to hold his arms in unmoving position, holding the snorkeler, while someone else moves his hips back so it looks as though he's looking down and someone else is filming in the swimming pool. That would put too many hands in the pie, so I had to settle for the head turn alone. Some GI Joes have heads that do move up and down (but I think those are also the ones with the less moveable elbows and knees); this model doesn't. I'd rather have the arm and leg movements than the neck. My TC can move his head but his arms and knees bend only to about a 160-degree angle (based on straight being 180 degrees). MGI's knees bend to close to 90 degree and his arms to about 100 degrees.

So one does what one can with what one has to work with. Our community pool is closed for the season, so I couldn't get another shot like that even if I could figure out how to do it. But I'll keep it in mind in trying to work it out.

golf
"Portside, buddy."