The Most Annoying Character

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

tidal pool wrote:Go figure, the only photo that I could find of the little yapper was a non-barking pose - which only annoyed me more.
LOL tidal pool!! :)

Believe it or not, this was the only good close-up shot of the little guy in the whole episode. And although he's not really barking here, he is growling. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

tidal pool
Rear Admiral

#32 Post by tidal pool »

James J. Walters wrote:And although he's not really barking here, he is growling. ;)
I'm sure he was. :roll: :lol:
TS or NO MOVIE!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#33 Post by N1095A »

I've had a long time theory that this is the same dog that wore an eye patch in "Tales Of The Gold Monkey"
"But Higgins, I can explain."

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#34 Post by ConchRepublican »

I'm gonna get slammed for this . . . .

I always thought Carol was annoying. One shot annoying characters I can deal with, they come and they go, but major supporting characters? That's tough.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by lutherhgillis »

I enjoy all of your input on this. I have a new question however. What is it that makes someone annoying rather than merely unlikeable?

Example: Goldie Morris and Ms. Jones were annoying while The old lady from Birdman of Budapest was unlikeable but not really annoying.

Discuss...

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#36 Post by IslandHopper »

For me it has got to be the tone or sound of the character's voice (Tracy Spencer, Joey), or the whiny nature of the character (Goldie Morris, Shelly Faraday).
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Lt. Cook
Commander

#37 Post by Lt. Cook »

I found carol burnett's character to be like fingernails on a chalkboard. i could imagine TM reverting to his self destructive, five o'clock shadow-drunk on the beach days after being trapped in a vault with her!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#38 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

ConchRepublican wrote:I'm gonna get slammed for this . . . .

I always thought Carol was annoying. One shot annoying characters I can deal with, they come and they go, but major supporting characters? That's tough.
I agree! Especially in the episode where TM is trying to get to the reunion for his Naval Academy team the weekend of the Army Navy Game. I thought she acted like a brat in that episode!

Carmen
MPI

#39 Post by Carmen »

I thought she acted like a brat in that episode!

my son said, she acted just like Magnum always does in that episode and he liked the fact that someone gave it back to him...
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by lutherhgillis »

Carmen wrote:

[my son said, she acted just like Magnum always does in that episode and he liked the fact that someone gave it back to him...]

I have always thought the same thing. She gave Magnum what he always gave his friends...

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Lily »

Sorry, but for me it was Angela Landsbury.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#42 Post by ConchRepublican »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:I'm gonna get slammed for this . . . .

I agree! Especially in the episode where TM is trying to get to the reunion for his Naval Academy team the weekend of the Army Navy Game. I thought she acted like a brat in that episode!
Glad I'm not alone on this one.

I want to see though, as I rewatch the series in order, if I get the same feeling or not.

I just wish they would have had a stronger, more confident female foil for Thomas. To me Maggie and Carol were written a little too dependent for who they were supposed to be.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Coops »

I've never thought of Carol as being annoying more like tolerated. Unlike some people here I don't feel any chemistry between her and TS. To me she was more like his sister than anything else. I liked Carol, just never really loved her as a character.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#44 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I agree Coops. I never thought TM and Carol had any chemistry. I could see them as a best friends from high school kind of thing.

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by 308GTS »

Angela Lansbury for me, though there were many others too. She however personifies the typical condescending "British, I'm so successful in America" type of person.

Can't stand watching MSR either because of her, or that trite 60's film Bednobs and Broomsticks...yuk.

And, I'm British!
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"