Question about Magnum's bracelet/clasp thingy?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Question about Magnum's bracelet/clasp thingy?

#1 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I keep seeing it around Magnum's hand but I keep forgetting to ask what that thing is. It's a silver metallic bracelet/clasp kind of thing that he wears regularly. I'm guessing on the other hand, not the one that he wears his watch on. I just saw an Airwolf episode where Stringfellow Hawke (Jan-Michael Vincent's character) is wearing the same thing (picture below). I wonder if it has some Vietnam connection as both heroes on both shows are Vietnam vets. Or if it's some Don Bellisario thing since he created both shows.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0507123/me ... 2540954113

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

Re: Question about Magnum's bracelet/clasp thingy?

#2 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

That’s a POW/MIA bracelet. It will have the name, rank and date the service member went missing during the Vietnam War. There are currently 1,577 missing Americans in Southeast Asia.
Faith and Begorrah!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#3 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:47 pm I keep seeing it around Magnum's hand but I keep forgetting to ask what that thing is. It's a silver metallic bracelet/clasp kind of thing that he wears regularly. I'm guessing on the other hand, not the one that he wears his watch on. I just saw an Airwolf episode where Stringfellow Hawke (Jan-Michael Vincent's character) is wearing the same thing (picture below). I wonder if it has some Vietnam connection as both heroes on both shows are Vietnam vets. Or if it's some Don Bellisario thing since he created both shows.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0507123/me ... 2540954113
This might help.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/nmah_1273063

Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Ok, thanks for the info, guys. So in the case of Stringfellow Hawke wearing it on Airwolf it makes sense because he's probably wearing a bracelet with his MIA brother St. John's name on it. But whose name would be on Magnum's bracelet? Some friend or family member that's MIA? I don't think it's ever mentioned that someone close to Magnum is MIA. Unless it's some generic bracelet that represents all MIA's?

Pahonu

#5 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:13 pm Ok, thanks for the info, guys. So in the case of Stringfellow Hawke wearing it on Airwolf it makes sense because he's probably wearing a bracelet with his MIA brother St. John's name on it. But whose name would be on Magnum's bracelet? Some friend or family member that's MIA? I don't think it's ever mentioned that someone close to Magnum is MIA. Unless it's some generic bracelet that represents all MIA's?
Wearing a bracelet wasn’t initially about remembering one’s family member, but rather for the public in general to show support for all MIA’s/POW’s and their families. It’s possible Hawke’s was for his brother, but that isn’t a certainty. TM wore one that wasn’t of a relation (see link below) but you need to finish the series to learn about another family member in the war.

viewtopic.php?t=1771

I would also add that today, these bracelets are often not about MIA’s/POW’s, but rather service in general. I had a student many years ago who I knew very well over the four years of high school. His brother had been in the First Battle of Fallujah. When he returned home after his service, the family had a big party for him. I was invited but couldn’t attend. One of his uncles had bracelets made for the occasion with the etching “Honoring our fallen, May we never forget”. He gave me one that I wore for quite a few years. It’s in my dresser still. I’ll have to look for it.

Pahonu

#6 Post by Pahonu »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:52 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:13 pm Ok, thanks for the info, guys. So in the case of Stringfellow Hawke wearing it on Airwolf it makes sense because he's probably wearing a bracelet with his MIA brother St. John's name on it. But whose name would be on Magnum's bracelet? Some friend or family member that's MIA? I don't think it's ever mentioned that someone close to Magnum is MIA. Unless it's some generic bracelet that represents all MIA's?
Wearing a bracelet wasn’t initially about remembering one’s family member, but rather for the public in general to show support for all MIA’s/POW’s and their families. It’s possible Hawke’s was for his brother, but that isn’t a certainty. TM wore one that wasn’t of a relation (see link below) but you need to finish the series to learn about another family member in the war.

viewtopic.php?t=1771

I would also add that today, these bracelets are often not about MIA’s/POW’s, but rather service in general. I had a student many years ago who I knew very well over the four years of high school. His brother had been in the First Battle of Fallujah. When he returned home after his service, the family had a big party for him. I was invited but couldn’t attend. One of his uncles had bracelets made for the occasion with the etching “Honoring our fallen, May we never forget”. He gave me one that I wore for quite a few years. It’s in my dresser still. I’ll have to look for it.
Edit:
I found it and it’s a little beat up still nice to see.

https://ibb.co/YtLhgwX

Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:34 am

viewtopic.php?t=1771

Edit:

Hey that's really cool that you have something like that. Hang on to it. I started thinking it must be some fashion accessory whenever I would spot Magnum wearing it. Then when I saw Hawke wearing it on Airwolf it suddenly made me think maybe there's a 'Nam connection after all.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

viewtopic.php?t=1771

Edit:

Pahonu,
That's a nice story, I'm glad the bracelet "thing" continued and that you are the kind of educator who so connects to his students that you rated the invite.
I remember they sold those POW bracelets during the Vietnam War, you were supposed to wear it till "your" POW came home and then throw it away.
The idea was the bracelet(besides being a reminder/support) also symbolized the prisoner's shackles, and should be disposed of when he was free.
At least that's what the little paper that came with my bracelet said, and it's what I did though I wanted to keep it.
I have to believe that is what most people did, as I haven't seen one since, not at a garage or estate sale, or even somebody mentioning they still had one.
The idea that one was supposed to somehow send it to the returning POW - I never heard of that but maybe I wasn't aware, though I doubt it - doesn't sound practical,
Just where were you supposed to send it, and what was the returning hero going to do with relatively cheaply made bracelets in the thousands?
More likely a ceremonial one was presented to each of the returning POW's.
Boy, I really wish I had kept mine, now.

Pahonu

#9 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:00 am

viewtopic.php?t=1771

Edit:

Pahonu,
That's a nice story, I'm glad the bracelet "thing" continued and that you are the kind of educator who so connects to his students that you rated the invite.
I remember they sold those POW bracelets during the Vietnam War, you were supposed to wear it till "your" POW came home and then throw it away.
The idea was the bracelet(besides being a reminder/support) also symbolized the prisoner's shackles, and should be disposed of when he was free.
At least that's what the little paper that came with my bracelet said, and it's what I did though I wanted to keep it.
I have to believe that is what most people did, as I haven't seen one since, not at a garage or estate sale, or even somebody mentioning they still had one.
The idea that one was supposed to somehow send it to the returning POW - I never heard of that but maybe I wasn't aware, though I doubt it - doesn't sound practical,
Just where were you supposed to send it, and what was the returning hero going to do with relatively cheaply made bracelets in the thousands?
Hey Dobie,
I was too young during that period to have one myself, but I remember seeing them as a child. I learned about their meaning later and had largely forgotten about them until my student brought me that one. I’ve had many wonderful students over the years. Many come back to visit as I’ve been at the same school for 28 years. I’ve also been invited to graduation parties and even a quinceañera!

Part of the joy of being a teacher, at least for me, is building those relationships and developing connections. That’s when the real learning happens, I think. You can tell which teachers are building those relationships by whose name you hear called out in the hallways when students are excited to say hi to one of their teachers. Unfortunately there are some who intentionally keep a distance from their students. It seems to me a boring way to spend a career. Of course, there are also students that are very closed off or shy too.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:05 pm

viewtopic.php?t=1771

Edit:

Pahonu,
Hey Dobie,
I was too young during that period to have one myself, but I remember seeing them as a child. I learned about their meaning later and had largely forgotten about them until my student brought me that one. I’ve had many wonderful students over the years. Many come back to visit as I’ve been at the same school for 28 years. I’ve also been invited to graduation parties and even a quinceañera!

Part of the joy of being a teacher, at least for me, is building those relationships and developing connections. That’s when the real learning happens, I think. You can tell which teachers are building those relationships by whose name you hear called out in the hallways when students are excited to say hi to one of their teachers. Unfortunately there are some who intentionally keep a distance from their students. It seems to me a boring way to spend a career. Of course, there are also students that are very closed off or shy too.
Pahonu,
I get irate that there aren't more teachers of your ilk, in my experience I'd say the majority were indifferent and just doing their job.
It may reflect poorly on me but I still get angry over my 5th grade teacher's treatment of me.
She put me in the 'dumb' reading group with a miscreant named Chipper, our reading material consisting of the Dick and Jane books -
"See Jane run. Run Jane, run. And here is Spot, he likes to woof. Woof woof Spot."
I had already polished off the Lord of the Rings, Tom Sawyer, Bruce Catton, Sherlock Holmes, as well as enjoying The Three Investigators, Encyclopedia Brown and other kid fare.
Then the class took the new New Jersey learning standards tests to determine what the students had learned and the quality of the instruction.
I aced the English/Vocabulary/Comprehension etc. section.
The tests determined I was on a 8th grade level in those areas, my teacher then claiming I had somehow cheated and she wouldn't let me get away with it.
After a meeting with my parents and the principal and the teacher I was elevated to the advanced reading group which included the Connie Stevens of the 5th grade,
Valerie Sw---! Sigh.
I would happily have kept reading Dick and Jane books in my old group if Connie, er, Valerie, had been a member.
As for Chipper, he later made silencers for the IRA and went to federal prison, not a surprise to me now or my 5th grade self.
Sorry for going off on this tangent MM readers, but it still rankles.
And what rankles more is I initially spelled rankles as wrankles, thanks COVID. Doh!

Pahonu

#11 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:34 pm
Pahonu wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:05 pm

viewtopic.php?t=1771

Edit:

Pahonu,
Hey Dobie,

Pahonu,
I get irate that there aren't more teachers of your ilk, in my experience I'd say the majority were indifferent and just doing their job.
It may reflect poorly on me but I still get angry over my 5th grade teacher's treatment of me.
She put me in the 'dumb' reading group with a miscreant named Chipper, our reading material consisting of the Dick and Jane books -
"See Jane run. Run Jane, run. And here is Spot, he likes to woof. Woof woof Spot."
I had already polished off the Lord of the Rings, Tom Sawyer, Bruce Catton, Sherlock Holmes, as well as enjoying The Three Investigators, Encyclopedia Brown and other kid fare.
Then the class took the new New Jersey learning standards tests to determine what the students had learned and the quality of the instruction.
I aced the English/Vocabulary/Comprehension etc. section.
The tests determined I was on a 8th grade level in those areas, my teacher then claiming I had somehow cheated and she wouldn't let me get away with it.
After a meeting with my parents and the principal and the teacher I was elevated to the advanced reading group which included the Connie Stevens of the 5th grade,
Valerie Sw---! Sigh.
I would happily have kept reading Dick and Jane books in my old group if Connie, er, Valerie, had been a member.
As for Chipper, he later made silencers for the IRA and went to federal prison, not a surprise to me now or my 5th grade self.
Sorry for going off on this tangent MM readers, but it still rankles.
And what rankles more is I initially spelled rankles as wrankles, thanks COVID. Doh!
I think like any career, there are people who love it and are dedicated to do their best. There are also those who show up for the paycheck. I think most don’t fit into either category actually, but are generally good in their job performance but don’t love it, and that’s okay. I feel very fortunate that I found something I love doing, many don’t. In fact, approximately half of all American workers are not happy with their career/job. The fact that I stumbled into it after being miserable in film/television production, which I studied to pursue, is even more fortunate, I think.

Sorry to hear about your poor experience with past teachers. I have to add that while my children were in school, my wife and I had a few interactions with such teachers. We typically entered meetings with them asking about their policies and approaches to teaching with a very open mindset. On a couple of occasions we then revealed that we were teachers ourselves and things sometimes became awkward, but hey, there are no absolute right and wrong approaches. We just always questioned whether the students potential success was placed first ahead of some pedagogical approach. Sorry if that got educational wonky!

Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:18 am The fact that I stumbled into it after being miserable in film/television production, which I studied to pursue, is even more fortunate, I think.
You coulda been a contender, you coulda had class, you coulda been a star. Instead of a teacher which is what you are. :wink: :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist.

But no it's cool that you love doing what you're doing for a living. I initially wanted to be a history or social studies teacher. Always loved history and geography. Even got my Associates in Education. First I was going to be a high school teacher, then I chickened out and decided middle school would be safer, then I chickened out again and decided maybe elementary school kids would be more my speed. :) But then I realized that with elementary school you pretty much teach all subjects, not just social studies. And then I also did a little student teaching as part of my curriculum and I think that's when it hit me that I'm in the wrong profession. That's when I switched gears to IT and that's what I got my Bachelor's in. No regrets whatsoever, I feel I made the right call. The more I think about it the more convinced I am that I would have been miserable in my career as a teacher. It's not for everyone and you really have to feel it in your bones that this is what you absolutely WANT to do. Dealing with kids from all walks of life is probably the most challenging thing I can think of. It's a challenge raising your own kids, much less someone else's. So I applaud those that can do the job and do it well. It really is a gift.

Pahonu

#13 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:40 am
Pahonu wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:18 am The fact that I stumbled into it after being miserable in film/television production, which I studied to pursue, is even more fortunate, I think.
You coulda been a contender, you coulda had class, you coulda been a star. Instead of a teacher which is what you are. :wink: :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist.

But no it's cool that you love doing what you're doing for a living. I initially wanted to be a history or social studies teacher. Always loved history and geography. Even got my Associates in Education. First I was going to be a high school teacher, then I chickened out and decided middle school would be safer, then I chickened out again and decided maybe elementary school kids would be more my speed. :) But then I realized that with elementary school you pretty much teach all subjects, not just social studies. And then I also did a little student teaching as part of my curriculum and I think that's when it hit me that I'm in the wrong profession. That's when I switched gears to IT and that's what I got my Bachelor's in. No regrets whatsoever, I feel I made the right call. The more I think about it the more convinced I am that I would have been miserable in my career as a teacher. It's not for everyone and you really have to feel it in your bones that this is what you absolutely WANT to do. Dealing with kids from all walks of life is probably the most challenging thing I can think of. It's a challenge raising your own kids, much less someone else's. So I applaud those that can do the job and do it well. It really is a gift.
Everyone is different and has different interests and skills. I used to joke about my sister being an accountant and that if I had that job I’d want to shoot myself. When she would describe work at some holiday, it sounded so boring and slow. Then, she was very quiet and reserved and would have been eaten alive in a high school classroom. LOL! To each his own. My father was an electrician and really enjoyed the problem solving aspects of his work. He was a tinkerer and loved taking things apart and fixing them.

I’m glad you found a career you enjoy in IT. It’s interesting that you considered teaching because of your enjoyment of the subject. 30 years ago when I was finishing up my post grad work, I had a professor who told me about a study he had read. I never read it, but the basics were that people get into to teaching for essentially three reasons, they enjoy a subject, they like working with kids, or they are drawn to the lifestyle of long summers and holidays off. The last was the smallest of the groups and almost never lasts more than 5 years. They’re just there until the next long weekend or break, and slogging through until summer. The next larger group, the enjoyers of a subject, do better, but often burn out dealing with the kids before the end of their career. The final group, which is well over half of all teachers, truly enjoy working with kids. I know I’m in that group and I still really enjoy my work all these years later. I’ve actually taught other subjects than history, including political science, economics, geography, and even US literature early in my career. I have my preferences, which is why I largely teach US history now, but I enjoyed teaching all those subjects. It’s the teaching and learning that matter.

Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:16 pm I never read it, but the basics were that people get into to teaching for essentially three reasons, they enjoy a subject, they like working with kids, or they are drawn to the lifestyle of long summers and holidays off.
Haha! :D I actually fall into the first and third of those categories. I always enjoyed the subject of Social Studies (always got A's and could name just about every capital of every country on the map - and that was as a middle schooler!) but having summers off was also a major draw for me. I thought that was actually the sweetest part of the whole gig! :) I mean what other career will give you that much vacation time - the whole summer?? That was always my favorite part about going to school - having summers off! LOL! So being a teacher would be a natural extension of that. Or so I thought at the time. Clearly my priorities were all wrong. Actually dealing with kids was always my biggest reservation - right from the start. That's the one aspect that actually made me nervous and anxious about my career choice. I guess it took 2 years into my college years to finally admit to myself that this isn't going to work out.

Pahonu

#15 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:33 pm
Pahonu wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:16 pm I never read it, but the basics were that people get into to teaching for essentially three reasons, they enjoy a subject, they like working with kids, or they are drawn to the lifestyle of long summers and holidays off.
Haha! :D I actually fall into the first and third of those categories. I always enjoyed the subject of Social Studies (always got A's and could name just about every capital of every country on the map - and that was as a middle schooler!) but having summers off was also a major draw for me. I thought that was actually the sweetest part of the whole gig! :) I mean what other career will give you that much vacation time - the whole summer?? That was always my favorite part about going to school - having summers off! LOL! So being a teacher would be a natural extension of that. Or so I thought at the time. Clearly my priorities were all wrong. Actually dealing with kids was always my biggest reservation - right from the start. That's the one aspect that actually made me nervous and anxious about my career choice. I guess it took 2 years into my college years to finally admit to myself that this isn't going to work out.
You were quicker than me! I got out of college and worked two years in production before realizing it wasn’t for me. So back to school for my credential after substitute teaching for several months. The funniest part of all is that I really only picked up the sub jobs for the cash! It sounds so shallow. LOL! When I had a few actual teachers tell me they were surprised I enjoyed subbing, it’s the worst part of teaching they claimed, I decided to give it a shot. Now, 28 years later… I always tell my students that it’s okay not to know what you want to do, but you have to keep moving forward. Don’t just stay where you’re at, unhappy, because it’s easier.