The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2971 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:23 am
usc1 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:14 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:54 pm
usc1 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:33 am I always stop by the Nest as I have a second residence nearby. A high official like Obama must have purchased through Nesbit for sure as Hawaii never gives permission to build seawalls for a residence. I know personally as I tried even with some connections in the City. The property now has three separate units for Obama and two daughters. The tide pool is a major treat and a must visit for MPI fans for sure.
I don’t know if the sea wall permits were approved before listing the property, but they were definitely applied for by Eve Anderson, not Obama or Nesbitt, and paid for by Anderson or the trust before the sale went through. This is in the public record. Don’t forget Anderson was herself a state legislator representing Waimanalo and it has been suggested by some that it played a role in the permit approval. Whether or not that is true, not being able to reinforce and raise the sea walls (they were not newly built) would have significantly lowered the property’s value. I completely understand why an owner would want to prevent that, but that was done at the request of Eve Anderson not Obama or Nesbitt.
Hmmmm. Thank you for the tidbit of info.

Strange as I was golfing with a big business man at Waialae Country Club and he said it was for sure pushed through by other forces aka obama. Sea wall permits are almost impossible to get approved without very deep connections.
I can’t comment on such conversations, but the details I listed are in the public record no matter what others say they believe to be true. I think perhaps the key here might be that the sea walls didn’t need to be approved as they were already in existence. What was needed was for their existence to be extended and to be repaired to meet sea level rise. As Mrs. Anderson was a former state legislator, I see how she may have had some sway. I don’t know that to be true, but she was the applicant for the sea wall permit extension and subsequent renovation.
I was there when Pahonu was for sale and noticed survey flags next to the seawall. I'm sure that would've been part of the process in getting the permit extension. I know and agree with Pahonu that it was Mrs. Anderson who got the extension. It was in her best interest to get that in place before listing/selling as any buyer would be concerned if they were buying the estate with the wall permit in limbo....(expire, have to be removed, not able to repair it, etc.), leaving you with a very different property to say the least. Basically the buyer would be taking a big gamble and most wouldn't have the influence or connections as Mrs. Anderson to get the extension after the purchase. She would've received far less without the extension in place period. I haven't checked to see if Nesbitt/Obama made any amendments to the wall repair side of things, but I'm sure a few of our members are up to date on the permits.....Pahonu. :wink: By chance they did, then yes, I could see Obama's possibly pulling a few strings to tweak it in his favor.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2972 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:34 am
Pahonu wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:23 am
usc1 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:14 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:54 pm
usc1 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:33 am I always stop by the Nest as I have a second residence nearby. A high official like Obama must have purchased through Nesbit for sure as Hawaii never gives permission to build seawalls for a residence. I know personally as I tried even with some connections in the City. The property now has three separate units for Obama and two daughters. The tide pool is a major treat and a must visit for MPI fans for sure.
I don’t know if the sea wall permits were approved before listing the property, but they were definitely applied for by Eve Anderson, not Obama or Nesbitt, and paid for by Anderson or the trust before the sale went through. This is in the public record. Don’t forget Anderson was herself a state legislator representing Waimanalo and it has been suggested by some that it played a role in the permit approval. Whether or not that is true, not being able to reinforce and raise the sea walls (they were not newly built) would have significantly lowered the property’s value. I completely understand why an owner would want to prevent that, but that was done at the request of Eve Anderson not Obama or Nesbitt.
Hmmmm. Thank you for the tidbit of info.

Strange as I was golfing with a big business man at Waialae Country Club and he said it was for sure pushed through by other forces aka obama. Sea wall permits are almost impossible to get approved without very deep connections.
I can’t comment on such conversations, but the details I listed are in the public record no matter what others say they believe to be true. I think perhaps the key here might be that the sea walls didn’t need to be approved as they were already in existence. What was needed was for their existence to be extended and to be repaired to meet sea level rise. As Mrs. Anderson was a former state legislator, I see how she may have had some sway. I don’t know that to be true, but she was the applicant for the sea wall permit extension and subsequent renovation.
I was there when Pahonu was for sale and noticed survey flags next to the seawall. I'm sure that would've been part of the process in getting the permit extension. I know and agree with Pahonu that it was Mrs. Anderson who got the extension. It was in her best interest to get that in place before listing/selling as any buyer would be concerned if they were buying the estate with the wall permit in limbo....(expire, have to be removed, not able to repair it, etc.), leaving you with a very different property to say the least. Basically the buyer would be taking a big gamble and most wouldn't have the influence or connections as Mrs. Anderson to get the extension after the purchase. She would've received far less without the extension in place period. I haven't checked to see if Nesbitt/Obama made any amendments to the wall repair side of things, but I'm sure a few of our members are up to date on the permits.....Pahonu. :wink: By chance they did, then yes, I could see Obama's possibly pulling a few strings to tweak it in his favor.
I totally missed this Kenji, sorry! I haven’t looked at the online documents recently. Last time I referenced them, there didn’t appear to be any variances noted, i.e. a change by Obama or Nesbitt. I do know that the massive environmental impact report was completed before the permit was granted and the sale finalized. It may have been listed before the final permits were granted, but I don’t recall the dates that precisely. I just know that I viewed the documents before the sale. Alterations to the plans would seemingly require another EIR and the delays associated with that. It would seem foolish to do so. I’m referring to only the sea wall permits, not changes to the building construction.

In a related note, EIR’s and approval by the California Coastal Commission are required for construction within a certain distance from the ocean. I know Hawaii has similarly stringent requirements. Our very large condo complex on a marina put together plans to replace the perimeter wood fencing with a combination concrete wall and steel fencing to lower maintenance costs. It was very far along in the planning stages when a fairly significant mistake in the proposal was discovered by the commission. The association dropped the whole plan when it realized it meant starting over with a new EIR and all the associated permits. It effectively doubled the planning costs and would also have increased the actual construction costs, not to mention the many months of delay.

I can’t imagine the permits with all that Mrs. Anderson had to do to get them approved, were then changed. Honestly, I’m also not really interested in going back through all those pages of documents to disprove a comment some guy on a golf course made that he heard from who knows where. Have at it if you’d like, but I’m out on that one! :lol:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2973 Post by KENJI »

Hi Pahonu

No worries at all!
Yeah, I'm not digging in there either!!! :wink:
I agree most likely not the case as the process is stringent like you said, BUT if anyone would have a slight chance at tweaking things it would be an ex-President....again, most likely not the case.

I vaguely remember Doris Duke wanting to blast and move rock to make room for a yacht slip at her Shangri-La Estate and supposedly she took it all the way to the President when she was running into red tape. Nice to have those kind of connections! Again fuzzy on the details, but I think she had to buy a couple of underwater parcels of land, grant a public right of way etc., but she got it done. It would NEVER happen today! Shangri-La is worth a visit if you ever get the chance. It definitely takes you back in time.

It's never fun trying to get approval for anything and your condo complex proposal is a prime example......very frustrating to say the least!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#2974 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

KENJI wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:40 pm Hi Pahonu

No worries at all!
I agree most likely not the case as the process is stringent like you said, BUT if anyone would have a slight chance at tweaking things it would be an ex-President....again, most likely not the case.

I vaguely remember Doris Duke wanting to blast and move rock to make room for a yacht slip at her Shangri-La Estate and supposedly she took it all the way to the President when she was running into red tape. Nice to have those kind of connections! Again fuzzy on the details, but I think she had to buy a couple of underwater parcels of land, grant a public right of way etc., but she got it done. It would NEVER happen today! Shangri-La is worth a visit if you ever get the chance. It definitely takes you back in time.

It's never fun trying to get approval for anything and your condo complex proposal is a prime example......very frustrating to say the least!
I only got a glimpse of the Shangri-La from Diamond Head lookout (the scenic stopping point along Diamond Head Road a little past the lighthouse) but you can't see too much in detail. It's kinda far away. You can see the property kinda jutting out towards the ocean.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2975 Post by KENJI »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:42 pm

No worries at all!

I only got a glimpse of the Shangri-La from Diamond Head lookout (the scenic stopping point along Diamond Head Road a little past the lighthouse) but you can't see too much in detail. It's kinda far away. You can see the property kinda jutting out towards the ocean.
Hi Ivan!

The next time you find yourself on Oahu take the actual tour of the place...it's definitely worth it in my books!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#2976 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

KENJI wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:49 pm

No worries at all!

Hi Ivan!

The next time you find yourself on Oahu take the actual tour of the place...it's definitely worth it in my books!
Thanks, Kenji. I'll have to make a note to add this to our itinerary.

Now, I see that you failed to trim the estate lawn. Higgins won't like this. It's not just another suburban lawn. Don't you know that you're standing on a scientifically formulated carpet of Bahia, Kentucky Bluegrass, and an African Zoysia? One doesn't just "mow it". :D :lol: :higgins:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2977 Post by KENJI »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:43 pm
KENJI wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:49 pm

No worries at all!

Hi Ivan!

Thanks, Kenji. I'll have to make a note to add this to our itinerary.

Now, I see that you failed to trim the estate lawn. Higgins won't like this. It's not just another suburban lawn. Don't you know that you're standing on a scientifically formulated carpet of Bahia, Kentucky Bluegrass, and an African Zoysia? One doesn't just "mow it". :D :lol: :higgins:
My pleasure Ivan!

LOL......Yes, one doesn't just "mow it"......classic Higgins there!!!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#2978 Post by 308GUY »

"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2979 Post by KENJI »

Nice find 308GUY!!
I agree the roof will be a real challenge.
It would be great to hear from this person on MM......see more pics from the back side, watch the build progress etc.. I know Pahonu will be interested in this one!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2980 Post by Pahonu »

That is a project after my own heart. :lol:

The massing looks very good, though I see a few minor mistakes. The placement of door and window openings has more problems. This is the view that most people are familiar with. I wonder about the other sides. It took years of sleuthing and the help of so many people on Magnum Mania for me to create the digital model accurately. In fact, that’s why I joined MM 15 plus years ago! I had basically reached the point seen here and needed help. I certainly got it. :magnum:

I would contact him to offer any wanted assistance but for two reasons: I don’t have Facebook account, and it says comments are turned off.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2981 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:44 pm That is a project after my own heart. :lol:

The massing looks very good, though I see a few minor mistakes. The placement of door and window openings has more problems. This is the view that most people are familiar with. I wonder about the other sides. It took years of sleuthing and the help of so many people on Magnum Mania for me to create the digital model accurately. In fact, that’s why I joined MM 15 plus years ago! I had basically reached the point seen here and needed help. I certainly got it. :magnum:

I would contact him to offer any wanted assistance but for two reasons: I don’t have Facebook account, and it says comments are turned off.
I knew it wouldn't take you too long to chime in on this project!
It's definitely a project you can relate too!!
I agree, it would be great to see the other sides to see if the details are correct. I'm not a Facebook guy either, but maybe someone out there can some how make contact with this individual and get him/her in contact with Magnum Mania. It would be a real shame to put the amount of time and effort needed into a project like that only to find out it has mistakes. A walk around Pahonu's SketchUp would be so helpful in this situation and it's only a click away on MM!

OMG_Germany
Ensign

#2982 Post by OMG_Germany »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:44 pm That is a project after my own heart. :lol:

Hello, I am the one who built the model of Pahonu in 1:100 scale. Hopefully I am sending this message in the correct place. I know that my model is certainly not a perfect representation of the real building, but the fans on Facebook at least recognized it as Robin's Nest. It was only supposed to be an architectural model, so no painting, tile roof, etc. If I understood Tedd Wilson correctly, you have already designed the house in AutoCAD or similar software? I plan in the future to rebuild it again in 1:64 scale, this time with wall paint, windows, doors and whatnot. I'm sure it will take a lot of effort and I don't know much about the materials. If you have already made the drawings in AutoCAD or similar, would it be possible to share them, for example as a dxf file? It would be very very helpful. I made my model from the floor plans and photos available online. Thank you very much and have a nice Sunday. Greetings, Arnd

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2983 Post by KENJI »

OMG_Germany wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:11 pm

Hello, I am the one who built the model of Pahonu in 1:100 scale. Hopefully I am sending this message in the correct place. I know that my model is certainly not a perfect representation of the real building, but the fans on Facebook at least recognized it as Robin's Nest. It was only supposed to be an architectural model, so no painting, tile roof, etc. If I understood Tedd Wilson correctly, you have already designed the house in AutoCAD or similar software? I plan in the future to rebuild it again in 1:64 scale, this time with wall paint, windows, doors and whatnot. I'm sure it will take a lot of effort and I don't know much about the materials. If you have already made the drawings in AutoCAD or similar, would it be possible to share them, for example as a dxf file? It would be very very helpful. I made my model from the floor plans and photos available online. Thank you very much and have a nice Sunday. Greetings, Arnd

Aloha OMG_Germany and welcome to MM!

You're definitely sending this message to the right place and I'm sure Pahonu will be in contact with you very soon!
Do you have anymore pics of your model from the other sides that you could share with us?
How long did that project take you?
Look forward to seeing your next model! Maybe you can keep us in the loop as you build it.....share a few pics etc..

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#2984 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Hello to all, I am very happy to be able to reappear on this forum! I hope that you all go for the best!

I come back on the small debate between Ivan and Pahonu about the variation of the seafront walls height between 19080 and 2022. I know it may seem a bit speculative but I made these two screenshots.

https://ibb.co/ncjQV6P
https://ibb.co/NZVTDQ3

I made a rough measurement based on the (estimated) height of our favorite actor, who here is standing a bit bent over on his legs (Higgins watchtower in sight!)

You can see in the 1980 version that the rocks at the bottom are clearly visible, unlike in 2022.

As I don't think that the wall was cut down in 2022 (it was rather raised), my opinion is that the configuration of the beach has been modified. The tides seem to have, for the last two years, amassed an important layer of sand (60 cm?) at this precise location, which seems to be corroborated by the videos mentioned above.

My opinion is that the surrounding seawall at this place has kept its original height during its refurbishment. so it would be more a question of packed sand at this precise area.

A bientôt !

edit: having a materialized model of what was Anderson Estate is undoubtedly of utmost interest !
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#2985 Post by 308GUY »

OMG_Germany wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:11 pm

Outstanding! Success......very glad you decided to weigh in and get you and Pahonu together on this project. I'm sure Pahonu would only want to provide facts, figures and suggestions and in no way would try to tell you how to build your model, which already looks fantastic. Oh and by the way I am the guy that you mention and here I am known as "308 GUY".

Looking forward to seeing your project go forward and be the goto example of what once was, but unfortunately is no more. Now it can exist again in the "real world" rather than just in picures and on film. Together with Pahonu's research and plans the world will have an actual example to look at, walk around and be in awe of. I still think one of the billionaires ( :lol: ) on this board, should rebuild the estate on their own piece of beach front property somewhere in the world, and your handbuilt excellent model can serve as the inspiration.

Thanks for building it, for sharing it and for being receptive to comments, and for reaching out to those who will defintitely apprciate it to the fullest and some of whom can actually make useful suggestions.

I for one am so looking forward to seeing this in it's final stages. :D :magnum:
:D
Seeing your post here is one of the best thing that's happend for me in quite a while....Danke! & Mahalo! :D
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"