40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#886 Post by T.Q. »

November 11th, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Foiled Again
Season Number: 3.8
Air Date: 11/11/1982

Magnum struggles to prove Higgins' innocence after he becomes the prime suspect in the murder of his old boarding school nemesis, William Troubshaw.

Recurring Characters: Patty McCormack (Carol Baldwin)

Guest Stars: Dana Wynter (Velma Troubshaw), Paxton Whitehead (William Troubshaw), Nicholas Hammond (Clarke Troubshaw), Joshua Bryant (Keeler), Don Muraco (Sugar Mill Worker - uncredited)
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#887 Post by Chris109 »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:58 pm Image

November 11th, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Foiled Again
Season Number: 3.8
Air Date: 11/11/1982

Magnum struggles to prove Higgins' innocence after he becomes the prime suspect in the murder of his old boarding school nemesis, William Troubshaw.

Recurring Characters: Patty McCormack (Carol Baldwin)

Guest Stars: Dana Wynter (Velma Troubshaw), Paxton Whitehead (William Troubshaw), Nicholas Hammond (Clarke Troubshaw), Joshua Bryant (Keeler), Don Muraco (Sugar Mill Worker - uncredited)
Troubshaw has that snitty English way about it. Like Uppington-Smythe (I Dream of Jeannie reference "That's with a hyphen and a 'y' ")

Almost like something Mr. Bean would say since he has 'that' look.

That's MR. Troubshaw to you.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#888 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

"Foiled Again" is my second favorite episode of the season. A most excellent episode! Probably the best Higgins-centric episode. Paxton Whitehead plays the cad to a hilt and Dana Wynter is always a welcoming presence. And let's not forget those Tilling biscuits and tea with pomegranate marmalade. :D Makes me want to go out and seek them out. :P

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#889 Post by eagle »

I enjoy this episode as well, and look forward to a viewing soon.

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#890 Post by Mr. Keoki »

I was a little bit ahead of schedule. Watched this the other day.

"Hello Johnathan. You're looking well. Well fed that is."
Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#891 Post by eagle »

Mr. Keoki wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:07 pm I was a little bit ahead of schedule. Watched this the other day.

"Hello Johnathan. You're looking well. Well fed that is."
Yes, that was a great line!

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#892 Post by Mark de Croix »

@Mr. Keoki, @eagle, I agree, a great line, esp. for plump Higgins.

Foiled Again is an amazing story, amazing. I admire how well it was conceived. Many many things can be unpacked about it. Here’s just a few:
1) the relationship between TM and Higgins has greatly evolved yet remains tenuous.
2) Both characters represent the best from their cultures.
3) Higgins must not have had much romantic experience for apparently how he holds a torch for an old flame—who btw still uses him.
4) Higgins is probably a failure in the eyes of those within his social circle in England.

Maybe interesting of all, I dare say, is a special attribute of American culture: the “just because” favor. TM retrieves Higgins’ fencing foil genuinely for no other reason but generosity; whereas Higgins—from a more formal society—thinks favors require something in return. This was not a small favor by TM because I am guessing that particular foil has high assessed value. (Yes, in the end TM's gesture seems strategic, but we see his asking for a favor is for pure humor, a joke to play on Higgins.)

TM displays immense character—how he puts up with abuse from Higgins yet recognizes it can’t be helped. He has deep concern for Higgins throughout despite it’s Higgins’ private affair. Oppositely Higgins displays great character as well for his adhering to what he considers as honor.

I was really glad that the son didn't do it because it became more interesting that way. :)

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#893 Post by T.Q. »

November 18th, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Mr. White Death
Season Number: 3.9
Air Date: 11/18/1982

An aging, former professional wrestling champion asks Magnum to find his long-lost son, but elements of his story do not ring true.

Guest Stars: Ernest Borgnine (Earl Gianelli), James Edgcomb (Phil Lewis), Linda Ryan (Cora Gillson), James Grant Benton (Harry Meacham), Ric Marlow (Salvatore Marchese), Lord James Blears (Referee), Farmer Boy Ipo (Big Zongo), Reri Tava Jobe (Jo), Robert Apisa (Bouncer)
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#894 Post by charybdis1966 »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:08 pm Image

November 18th, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Mr. White Death

An aging, former professional wrestling champion asks Magnum to find his long-lost son, but elements of his story do not ring true.

Guest Stars: Ernest Borgnine (Earl Gianelli), James Edgcomb (Phil Lewis), Linda Ryan (Cora Gillson), James Grant Benton (Harry Meacham), Ric Marlow (Salvatore Marchese), Lord James Blears (Referee), Farmer Boy Ipo (Big Zongo), Reri Tava Jobe (Jo), Robert Apisa (Bouncer)
That’s a great 4th wall break there. 😃

Fleet Admiral

#895 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

November 18th, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Mr. White Death

I don't care for the wrestling bit (not a fan) but the Mag, Punky, and Ernie Borgnino make this one a winner! :D

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#896 Post by Mark de Croix »

Some random jottings about this episode:

Immediately sensed the customer would get whacked in the barber shop esp. as the barber says, “You didn’t miss a thing.” I’m unsure what triggered my premonition. Maybe the barber shop has become a standard for a whacking scene???

Great acting by Selleck though nothing new. Impressed how he expresses subtleties so well, as with the clerk in the Dept. of Records, after leaving Earl at the airport, and his bargaining with Higgins not to call him Punky.

Great writing: Earl and Higgins having a mutual friend; TM's story about his boyhood puppy that grew to be a big problem portending that Earl will end up in the same way.

Name Calling: TC & Rick use their nicknames with Earl but not TM. He is more formal. Later we hear Earl call TM, "Mag," showing TM is actually flexible about what people call him. As I pointed out in another thread, TM's closest intimates call him, "Tom." So this this "Mag" incident offers added support.

TC & Rick Beyond the Call of Duty: Their work outside Earl's son's office in catching the secretary is way too much for unpaid staff. An event showing why my "discovery" of the "lost episode" on another thread is necessary to fully account for the relationship of the three men.
(Not to mention TC in costume allows himself to be possible target practice for two mafia hitmen at the wrestling stadium.)

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#897 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:31 pm

November 18th, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Mr. White Death

I don't care for the wrestling bit (not a fan) but the Mag, Punky, and Ernie Borgnino make this one a winner! :D
I could have written that myself, Ivan. :shock: :wink:

Fleet Admiral

#898 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:03 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:31 pm

November 18th, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Mr. White Death

I could have written that myself, Ivan. :shock: :wink:
Great minds! :)

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#899 Post by T.Q. »

An enjoyable episode.

I agree with the Mag and Punky being hilarious.

And Rick being beaten up all over the place is funny too. :lol:

Fleet Admiral

#900 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:32 pm An enjoyable episode.

I agree with the Mag and Punky being hilarious.

And Rick being beaten up all over the place is funny too. :lol:
Oh yeah I forgot about poor Rick. Doesn't his face look like a hamburger by the end of the episode? Sheesh! :shock: